The Clash observations thread.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by Marky Dread »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
22 May 2021, 2:55pm
Marky Dread wrote:
22 May 2021, 3:56am
RockNRollWhore wrote:
21 May 2021, 10:37pm
Marky Dread wrote:
20 May 2021, 4:23am
RockNRollWhore wrote:
20 May 2021, 1:28am

I agree but That’s just such a fully realized tune that I’m amazed. So much wasted potential that the four of them couldn’t have stayed together. Not a new sentiment I know.
I would point you to his so called solo material after he left The Clash. Nothing matches "Casbah".
You could argue that he was far too drug addled at that point.
"casbah". It's a very good track but it still needed Mick and Joe.
Have we ever gotten a glance at those "super raunchy" early lyrics Topper wrote up? Can you get any more cringe than lovers rock?
I've never seen Topper's discarded lyrics for "Casbah". The lyrics for 'Lover's Rock" are a complete send up and tongue in cheek. I like the track and the humour.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I've been getting amp souped up by a mate who does reconditioning. Check the Sandinista theme...
received_823187431949099.jpeg
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Heston wrote:
26 May 2021, 8:24am
I've been getting amp souped up by a mate who does reconditioning. Check the Sandinista theme...

Very cool.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:

Liked on fb as well, that looks great. Is it purely cosmetic, or are there functional improvements?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Heston wrote:

Way cool, nice job.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
26 May 2021, 9:29am
Heston wrote:

Liked on fb as well, that looks great. Is it purely cosmetic, or are there functional improvements?
Just cosmetic. The amp itself is fine. I was just starting to get embarrassed by the condition it was in though, the trim was hanging off and all the casing was starting to rot due to damp. I've tried other more expensive amps but I was never happy with anything but the sound from the good old Carlsboro Stingray. Been using it for 28 years now.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:

Bang tidy!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

KCportland
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by KCportland »

I was listening to the US Fest show recently (borderline masochistic given that the Tuscon show is *right there* for me to listen to instead) and I never really noticed before how bad Mick's guitar sounds on that show, particularly with that Bond guitar he used in the first half of the set. Very shrill. Did he use that on the other 83 shows?

I actually really like Mick's sound on the warm-up shows generally, although it is a bit too tame at times, so I'm wondering if the US Fest just had bad sound or if he wasn't using the Bond til the US Fest? It sounds like it's a pretty low output guitar which could explain Mick's less aggressive sound on that tour as he wasn't using the Les Paul as much. Wish there were more photos of those 83 shows!

Heston

Post by Heston »

KCportland wrote:
26 May 2021, 8:08pm
I was listening to the US Fest show recently (borderline masochistic given that the Tuscon show is *right there* for me to listen to instead) and I never really noticed before how bad Mick's guitar sounds on that show, particularly with that Bond guitar he used in the first half of the set. Very shrill. Did he use that on the other 83 shows?

I actually really like Mick's sound on the warm-up shows generally, although it is a bit too tame at times, so I'm wondering if the US Fest just had bad sound or if he wasn't using the Bond til the US Fest? It sounds like it's a pretty low output guitar which could explain Mick's less aggressive sound on that tour as he wasn't using the Les Paul as much. Wish there were more photos of those 83 shows!
The warm-ups were so much better. Their sound was lame at the US Festival, at least what was relayed through the video feed.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
26 May 2021, 8:11pm
KCportland wrote:

The warm-ups were so much better. Their sound was lame at the US Festival, at least what was relayed through the video feed.
Most festival sound is pretty bad.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
26 May 2021, 8:11pm
KCportland wrote:

Yeah, not unlike Sun Plaza. I think you could clean them up nicely with the master tapes. Not sure if the cleaned up footage has better audio:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by bazarboy75 »

In my memories the Mick sound don t the problem
To me it s the lack of bass frequency
There is no bass at all
Even the bass drum is too tight
Notice that Paul starter to play with fingers
It change your sound completly

And the tokyo show it s another problem
The médium of paul bass is too much in front of rhe mix

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

bazarboy75 wrote:
28 May 2021, 2:18am
There is no bass at all

Yes bb is correct the playing is fine it's the live on stage mix that is bad. That said mixing sound for a festival with different bands is never going to be an easy task.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 May 2021, 5:47am
bazarboy75 wrote:
There is no bass at all

Yes bb is correct the playing is fine it's the live on stage mix that is bad. That said mixing sound for a festival with different bands is never going to be an easy task.
I always compare Train In Vain from the US Festival to the version at Lewisham 3 years earlier. Vastly inferior and it's not just down to the sound. I thought they were quite sloppy at that festival.

bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by bazarboy75 »

Heston wrote:
28 May 2021, 8:11am
Marky Dread wrote:
28 May 2021, 5:47am
bazarboy75 wrote:
There is no bass at all

I always compare Train In Vain from the US Festival to the version at Lewisham 3 years earlier. Vastly inferior and it's not just down to the sound. I thought they were quite sloppy at that festival.
Well to me 83 was some sort of on the road for a new Clash. The next step
You can't change your drummer and especially topper and especially the clash and pretend to be the same band.
And i'm not sure the band rehearsealed too much (??) Sure the struggle into the band had effect on their performance
I know that 83 is not the favorite period for many but i personnaly much prefer this than the 82 period with terry.
Us festival is unfortunatly not the best gig from that mini 83 tour. I think that wichita gig is far better for example
But don t forget that this band was in a constant évolution and my feeling is that clash in 83 start to become more pro