The Clash observations thread.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

The full remastered/HD version premiered today.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
13 Dec 2019, 7:02pm
The full remastered/HD version premiered today.

Great work, that looks and sounds so much better. Hopefully more restoration to come.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

I’ve never seen the beginning of this before - the great 77 So It Goes performance but with the end of USA at the very beginning in addition to the usual Cap Radio, Janie Jones, Name, and Garageland. Maybe there’s hope for more footage to surface some day.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

aza
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by aza »

wowowow! thank you for posting

Heston

Post by Heston »

Been listening to Clash City Rockers for 35 years and it wasn't until today I noticed those bell chimes every time Joe sings "bells" on the middle eight.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
22 Dec 2019, 5:37pm
Been listening to Clash City Rockers for 35 years and it wasn't until today I noticed those bell chimes every time Joe sings "bells" on the middle eight.
Christmas song

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
22 Dec 2019, 5:37pm
Oranges and lemons,
Say the bells of St. Headon.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

River
Long Time Jerk

Post by River »

Finally got the London Calling Scrapbook, having to order it on Amazon after waiting and waiting for it to come from the official site. One thing I noticed towards the end were a couple write-ups of the UK/US 16 Tons tour from Paul and Joe. I was really surprised to see that Broadway and Sheppard's Delight were recorded at the same time as Bankrobber/Rocker's Galore. I always thought this was a spliff bunker song from later on. I'm not exactly sure the timeframe of when Somebody Got Murdered was done, so would Broadway and Sheppard's Delight be the first two Sandinista songs?

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

River wrote:
29 Dec 2019, 10:30pm
Finally got the London Calling Scrapbook, having to order it on Amazon after waiting and waiting for it to come from the official site. One thing I noticed towards the end were a couple write-ups of the UK/US 16 Tons tour from Paul and Joe. I was really surprised to see that Broadway and Sheppard's Delight were recorded at the same time as Bankrobber/Rocker's Galore. I always thought this was a spliff bunker song from later on. I'm not exactly sure the timeframe of when Somebody Got Murdered was done, so would Broadway and Sheppard's Delight be the first two Sandinista songs?
I got the scrapbook off Amazon but still waiting for the album from the official site?? Ordered as soon as announced (I think August / September?) but don’t even have a dispatch date.
They have now stopped responding to emails 😔

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

River wrote:
29 Dec 2019, 10:30pm
Well I suppose Bankrobber/Robber Dub/Rockers...Galore UK Tour are the first Sandinista! tracks from the sessions although not on the album. Setting the tone for Broadway and Shepherds Delight to follow.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Shit, I forgot how good City of the Dead is on FHTE. Oh to have that full Lewisham gig on at least audio.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

This pretty disappointing after waiting for 4 months the official merchandise site can’t supply their own merchandise?
Attachments
CA537F94-7CA3-46BA-8947-F315891A871E.png

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
09 Jan 2020, 7:46pm
This pretty disappointing after waiting for 4 months the official merchandise site can’t supply their own merchandise?
Is it available thru regular retailers, like Amazon Kiwi or something like that? Less great to give them a cut, but better than you being shut out altogether.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jan 2020, 8:06pm
101Walterton wrote:
Is it available thru regular retailers, like Amazon Kiwi or something like that? Less great to give them a cut, but better than you being shut out altogether.
Yes definitely, I was just trying to do the right thing.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
09 Jan 2020, 9:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jan 2020, 8:06pm
101Walterton wrote:
Yes definitely, I was just trying to do the right thing.
You missed the core lesson: the Clash will always fuck you for your ideals.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft