The Clash observations thread.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
13 Jan 2020, 4:21pm
matedog wrote:
13 Jan 2020, 11:49am
I tracked down my old drumming magazine's review of From Here to Eternity:
The pure adrenaline and muscular musicianship that drove The Clash's legendary live shows are apparent right from the opening strains of "Complete Control," and carry throughout these performances from 1978 through 1982. The seventeen tracks are split nearly equally between original drummer Terry Chimes and the more creative and accomplished Topper Headon who replaced Chimes after the band's 1977 debut. Terry was brought back for the 1982 Combat Rock tour and sounds here as though he's in over his head, stripping down Headon's studio parts just to keep up with the frenzied band. From driving punk classics like "London's Burning" to the reggae/dub-drenched "Armagideon Time," Headon is always in the pocket with a commanding power and effortless precision.

The digs at Terry were especially nice.
I actually like Terry's 1982 playing on White Man, it seems to have a different kind of swing that isn't there on the Topper renditions.
Topper played the same thing every time (except those amazing spring 80 shows with the wild outros), so I like hearing different fills and stuff.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Listening to Kent State 1982 now, this is surely the Terry Tour show that should have been pro-recorded.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

I spoke too soon, Terry's playing on Spanish Bombs is abysmal. It was never a song I cared for much live but add a ham-handed Terry and it is painful.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Let's hope a recording of Terry playing the Purdie Shuffle never surfaces. Meanwhile...

matedog

Post by matedog »

IkarisOne wrote:
13 Jan 2020, 6:24pm
Let's hope a recording of Terry playing the Purdie Shuffle never surfaces.
His Armagideon Time is about as close as we'll get to that.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

I was on the official Clash website for some weird reason that escapes me and they had "Time Is Tight" as a S! outtake. That struck me as wrong (as a lot of their official site is), but I'm having trouble finding info on where/when that was recorded. I thought it was in 78, but I don't think it ever appeared until BMC in late 80, shortly before Sandinista.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
15 Jan 2020, 1:33pm
I was on the official Clash website for some weird reason that escapes me and they had "Time Is Tight" as a S! outtake. That struck me as wrong (as a lot of their official site is), but I'm having trouble finding info on where/when that was recorded. I thought it was in 78, but I don't think it ever appeared until BMC in late 80, shortly before Sandinista.
everything the clash recorded is a s! outtake in a sense
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

matedog wrote:
SBMC is arranged chronologically, isn't it?
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

matedog

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
15 Jan 2020, 1:41pm
matedog wrote:
everything the clash recorded is a s! outtake in a sense
S/T side one is really S! side 9.

Red Angel
Junco Partner

Post by Red Angel »

According to Keith Topping (The complete Clash book) Time is Tight was recorded at Marquee Studios in March 1978.
Music is the only thing that matters

Heston

Post by Heston »

Red Angel wrote:
15 Jan 2020, 2:07pm
According to Keith Topping (The complete Clash book) Time is Tight was recorded at Marquee Studios in March 1978.
I was gonna guess at the marquee sessions, I think that's correct.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Quick question: Am I imagining this or did Paul sing Police On My Back at some Clash II live shows?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
15 Jan 2020, 2:22pm
Quick question: Am I imagining this or did Paul sing Police On My Back at some Clash II live shows?
I thought he took over lead for that after Mick was tossed overboard.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Heston wrote:
isn't he singing lead on that one show where he also breakdances? Incredible energy. :twitch:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
The January/February US tour has Paul singing POMB in what has to be the worst live performance by The Clash ever. I swore Rattie had it on his soundcloud, but I'm not seeing it ( Can't find it on youtube, but the San Francisco show has probably the best sound quality of it.