The Clash observations thread.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
03 May 2021, 5:07pm
Marky Dread wrote:
03 May 2021, 5:02pm
WestwayKid wrote:
03 May 2021, 4:56pm
5c75aba1f95f13189f1759d2cd312255.jpg

I've always liked this one.
Yeah that's a good pic. However Heston is asking about a promo pic with Terry from the 1st album era.
Yeah, from the 76/77 era.
Bah, sorry about that. I'm not aware of any except Rehearsals fake live shots. There are those Anarchy hangout shots with Rob Harper too.

Kinda weird that they immediately did publicity with Topper right when he joined after 3-person Clash pics forever. I guess it had to do with the more tenuous status of Terry.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Kory wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 5:03pm
Anyone on FB that isn't following this group yet, should be. It's very entertaining, as seen in this example.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/461130861334153
I had a look. Yikes.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

WestwayKid wrote:
03 May 2021, 2:53pm
182196986_307196990991085_1571592496794709065_n.jpg

A steal at any price... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I’ve found great stuff at HPB.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 May 2021, 5:02pm
WestwayKid wrote:
03 May 2021, 4:56pm
5c75aba1f95f13189f1759d2cd312255.jpg

I've always liked this one.
Yeah that's a good pic. However Heston is asking about a promo pic with Terry from the 1st album era.
I didn't read the original question close enough ;)
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

The Clash don’t really seem to be as trendy to namedrop as other rock bands of their stature. Kind of odd. Idk maybe I’m rambling

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
05 May 2021, 2:00am
The Clash don’t really seem to be as trendy to namedrop as other rock bands of their stature. Kind of odd. Idk maybe I’m rambling
What bands do you consider to be of their stature?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
Yeah, I definitely get that vibe as well.

I wonder if it's a weird thing where people who discover/love the band in their adolescence (which is where the most enduring band bonds are forged) see them as an teenage thing to be embarrassed about? Or something like that.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Inder wrote:
05 May 2021, 12:39pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:

I wonder if it's a weird thing where people who discover/love the band in their adolescence (which is where the most enduring band bonds are forged) see them as an teenage thing to be embarrassed about? Or something like that.
I guess it depends on what company you keep. My mates/friends are my age and aware of the importance of the band. My son loves the band and has shared stuff with friends from his age group and they have all come back positive. That said were they ever considered a "trendy" band.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Inder wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:

Not that much of an enduring bond if they later see it as something to get embarrassed about. That doesn't make sense to me.

I'm active on a few of the Clash FB groups and they have tons of young fans. I'm also wondering who "other bands of their stature" refers to.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

I'm thinking of critics and the general public, not fans.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Marky Dread wrote:
05 May 2021, 1:10pm
Inder wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:

I guess it depends on what company you keep. My mates/friends are my age and aware of the importance of the band. My son loves the band and has shared stuff with friends from his age group and they have all come back positive. That said were they ever considered a "trendy" band.
Like they don’t have the cool nihilistic appeal the Sex Pistols have. Their logo isn’t as sexy as the Ramones. They’re not as a arty as Joy Division, blah blah blah. I think part of the reason why is they cared so much about their art, which is why they always appealed to me so much. Every single recording of there’s is played with such fury and passion that even the more laid back stuff on Sandanista, or some of their lesser B Side cuts have appeal. They had professionalism on par with the likes of classic rock dinosaurs, but with an incredibly pissed of veneer soaked in blood, piss, and vinegar. Another reason why a band like The Rolling Stones is so hard for me to get into. I understand the vibe now as I get older, but the laid back druggy blues man aura never had as much appeal to me. You’d have to correct me on this one Marky, but part of the reason the manics got shat on so much was their love for the Clash when everyone else was namechecking arty stuff like the Smiths and Slowdive right? It seems like especially post nirvana, giving a fuck was considered passé, at least in the states.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

People love talking about The Smiths, for example. People do not talk about The Clash in the same way.

EDIT: RnRW has put it better than I have. 😎

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
05 May 2021, 1:31pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Inder wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:

Like they don’t have the cool nihilistic appeal the Sex Pistols have. Their logo isn’t as sexy as the Ramones. They’re not as a arty as Joy Division, blah blah blah. I think part of the reason why is they cared so much about their art, which is why they always appealed to me so much. Every single recording of there’s is played with such fury and passion that even the more laid back stuff on Sandanista, or some of their lesser B Side cuts have appeal. They had professionalism on par with the likes of classic rock dinosaurs, but with an incredibly pissed of veneer soaked in blood, piss, and vinegar. Another reason why a band like The Rolling Stones is so hard for me to get into. I understand the vibe now as I get older, but the laid back druggy blues man aura never had as much appeal to me. You’d have to correct me on this one Marky, but part of the reason the manics got shat on so much was their love for the Clash when everyone else was namechecking arty stuff like the Smiths and Slowdive right? It seems like especially post nirvana, giving a fuck was considered passé, at least in the states.
I'm obviously older than you and with my age group we grew up with The Clash. So the love I have for the band is eternal. They were not "just another band" their appeal was always positive and it was so much more than just pop music. Image/message/passion. You simply don't get that with The Smiths in the same way. Don't get me wrong I like The Smiths and I have everything they released. But The Clash had working class credentials that little guttersnipes like myself could understand. They were an out and out rock n roll band for people who wanted to go out not stay in your room worrying about your blackheads or whatever. Fuck that, with punk it was "hey look I've got blackheads so fucking what deal with it". Trendy to name drop who cares. The Clash had coolness in spades.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
05 May 2021, 1:50pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
05 May 2021, 1:31pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Inder wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:

I'm obviously older than you and with my age group we grew up with The Clash. So the love I have for the band is eternal. They were not "just another band" their appeal was always positive and it was so much more than just pop music. Image/message/passion. You simply don't get that with The Smiths in the same way. Don't get me wrong I like The Smiths and I have everything they released. But The Clash had working class credentials that little guttersnipes like myself could understand. They were an out and out rock n roll band for people who wanted to go out not stay in your room worrying about your blackheads or whatever. Fuck that, with punk it was "hey look I've got blackheads so fucking what deal with it". Trendy to name drop who cares. The Clash had coolness in spades.
Hello,

Agreed with the above. I put a lot in to the "Only Band That Matters" slogan as well - especially given the time period and a lot of attitudes around back then. The Clash were confrontational when no one wanted to be confrontational. If there were no Clash, who would do songs such as they did? Who would have progressed as they did?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Re: The Manics. Were they really like The Clash?

Early on they used the stencilled slogans on their clothes and offered a good line in polemics. But I always thought they were more like Generation X than The Clash. Their love of Guns 'n' Roses was the tell tell sign they were very different to The Clash.

I mean that would be like The Clash being fans of Queen by comparison. The Clash were total rock n roll fans and it showed big time. The Manics were that "rock" band with attitude that were not just another "drugs and groupies" type.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia