The Clash observations thread.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by matedog »

This may be a dumb question, but is the backing music on Radio One written/performed by The Clash? The radio intro is throwing me off and making me question it. Something about the keys sounds very different from their music too. It's all very disorienting.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 7:38pm
This may be a dumb question, but is the backing music on Radio One written/performed by The Clash? The radio intro is throwing me off and making me question it. Something about the keys sounds very different from their music too. It's all very disorienting.
Of all the official Clash releases, it sounds the least like a Clash song to me.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

matedog

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 7:42pm
matedog wrote:
Of all the official Clash releases, it sounds the least like a Clash song to me.
Complete Clash book probably adds more confusion than anything: "Technically speaking, not really a Clash recording at all (though Simonon may have played bass on it)."

Anyone else have any insight on this particular track? Discogs gives writing credit solely to Mikey Dread: https://www.discogs.com/The-Clash-Mikey ... se/1273942
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
12 Mar 2021, 1:20pm
Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
Complete Clash book probably adds more confusion than anything: "Technically speaking, not really a Clash recording at all (though Simonon may have played bass on it)."

Anyone else have any insight on this particular track? Discogs gives writing credit solely to Mikey Dread: https://www.discogs.com/The-Clash-Mikey ... se/1273942
I think it's the band that Mikey had on his World War III album.

Backing Band – The Roots Radics
Backing Vocals – Earl Sixteen, Edi Fitzroy, Watty Burnett
Bass – Errol "Flabba" Holt
Drums – Lincoln "Style" Scott
Guitar [Lead] – Noel "Sowell" Bailey
Guitar [Rhythm] – Bingy Bunny, Dalton Brownie

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:

I guess we're saying it's cloudy, cloudy. I think joe and paul do have (very brief) vocal parts on it. Whatever the provenance, it's a track i've always loved.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
not really a Clash recording at all (though Simonon may have played bass on it)."
It's like a reverse Sandinista
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
12 Mar 2021, 8:21pm
matedog wrote:
not really a Clash recording at all (though Simonon may have played bass on it)."
:mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Kory wrote:
12 Mar 2021, 8:21pm
matedog wrote:
Had I actually been drinking, that would’ve been a spit-take
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

geraldmanns
Dirty Punk

Post by geraldmanns »

On 06:41 Joe states that no white man‘s been near the track!
I got my motorcycle jacket but I‘m walking all the time

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

geraldmanns wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 9:09am

I don't think Joe is correct when he says Mikey with the "Natty Congo's".

I think it's as I mentioned further up this post. The Roots Radics (dubbed The Revolutionaries (and later Channel One Stars). Pretty much the Channel One house band.

Same band Mikey used on his World War III album that was remixed at Wessex by Bill Price and Jerry Green.

The Clash played a version of Jumping Master with Mikey live.

Which I guess would possibly make Radio One an outtake from the World War III sessions.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 10:20am
geraldmanns wrote:

I think it's as I mentioned further up this post. The Roots Radics (dubbed The Revolutionaries (and later Channel One Stars). Pretty much the Channel One house band.

Same band Mikey used on his World War III album that was remixed at Wessex by Bill Price and Jerry Green.

Which I guess would possibly make Radio One an outtake from the World War III sessions.
Good detective work all around. Main confirmation was that it wasn't The Clash playing on that track at all.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 1:16pm
Marky Dread wrote:
geraldmanns wrote:

Good detective work all around. Main confirmation was that it wasn't The Clash playing on that track at all.
Yeah. It’s even less of a Clash song than Lose This Skin.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Wolter wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 1:26pm
matedog wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 1:16pm
Marky Dread wrote:
geraldmanns wrote:

Yeah. It’s even less of a Clash song than Lose This Skin.
Thanks for these posts, they prompted me to listen to World War III in full. Very nice indeed.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

geraldmanns wrote:

Hadn't seen that before, very enjoyable. I really liked Joe's take on side 6 of Sandinista, "only bold men go there".
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

I didn't see this posted, hope it's not a repost. Very enjoyable interview with Mick, Paul & Topper from 2016.

God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung