The Clash observations thread.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by Low Down Low »

Always loved the moment around the 2 minute mark, just after Joes "i don't trust you, why do you trust me", topper delivers a single trapped drum beat and Joe goes "ohhh". The song goes into another stratosphere from that point.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Our division president just complimented me on The Clash poster I have hanging on my office wall. It's a Paul Slattery shot of them backstage at the Mogador from September 1981.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
24 Nov 2020, 3:09pm
matedog wrote:
24 Nov 2020, 2:02pm
Leading off FHTE with Complete Control and using as the lead single/video is one of the few great choices the band/record label/management has made post breakup. CC is relatively obscure in the US (obviously not in the UK) and this version is just so so good. There are some very obvious wrong chords and off key vocals, but they leave them in, mixed loudly and it's perfect.

Also, I love how you can tell how fired up Topper is throughout. His bass drum gets so busy at the end and that's a real give away as a drummer that he's feeling it.
That version is still my favourite piece of music by anyone, ever. I remember when it debuted on UK tv on TOTP 2 and they'd shown a visual teaser at the start of the show. Because it was the clip from Rude Boy I expected it to just be that performance from the film. They were eventually on right at the end and this clip just blew me away. Yes, there's mistakes in it but the combination of attitude, energy and melody just sends shivers down the spine every time. The visuals are fucking great and just sum up what a cool as fuck band they were.

Like you, I love it when that bass drum starts slamming at the end. I think I've mentioned it before but if you listen on headphones, Mick's backing vocals go from speaker to speaker as he must be dashing across the stage to join Paul at the mic. Joe's final "This is punk rockers" is one of the most glorious noises I have ever heard coming from a human. Shit, I could talk about this performance all night.
"OVER THIS SONG!" is one of my favorite Joe moments ever. I love how rough his voice gets on that, when his scream goes from clean to rough. The punk rockers line has that too. And that random off key "WAAAAAAAH."
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
03 Dec 2020, 6:41pm
Heston wrote:
24 Nov 2020, 3:09pm
matedog wrote:
24 Nov 2020, 2:02pm
Leading off FHTE with Complete Control and using as the lead single/video is one of the few great choices the band/record label/management has made post breakup. CC is relatively obscure in the US (obviously not in the UK) and this version is just so so good. There are some very obvious wrong chords and off key vocals, but they leave them in, mixed loudly and it's perfect.

Also, I love how you can tell how fired up Topper is throughout. His bass drum gets so busy at the end and that's a real give away as a drummer that he's feeling it.
That version is still my favourite piece of music by anyone, ever. I remember when it debuted on UK tv on TOTP 2 and they'd shown a visual teaser at the start of the show. Because it was the clip from Rude Boy I expected it to just be that performance from the film. They were eventually on right at the end and this clip just blew me away. Yes, there's mistakes in it but the combination of attitude, energy and melody just sends shivers down the spine every time. The visuals are fucking great and just sum up what a cool as fuck band they were.

Like you, I love it when that bass drum starts slamming at the end. I think I've mentioned it before but if you listen on headphones, Mick's backing vocals go from speaker to speaker as he must be dashing across the stage to join Paul at the mic. Joe's final "This is punk rockers" is one of the most glorious noises I have ever heard coming from a human. Shit, I could talk about this performance all night.
"OVER THIS SONG!" is one of my favorite Joe moments ever. I love how rough his voice gets on that, when his scream goes from clean to rough. The punk rockers line has that too. And that random off key "WAAAAAAAH."
Yep, all of that. And the "Yeaaaaah" after the "Waaaaah."
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
08 Mar 2010, 4:05am
matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:
Inder wrote:Is there already one? I can't find it.

Anyways, an observation: that bit in the Radio Clash vid where Joe says "yeah!" and the TV control guy is all like snapping his fingers — that's awesome.
My favorite part of that video is after one of the instrumental bits when it shows Paul, Mick and Joe individually in slow motion and you can tell that they were going off. Gives me chills.
It'd be nice if that movie was ever completed.
T minus 10 years or whatever, right? I think that was the estimate...
Wow Kory just wow. Next year. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog

Post by matedog »

Saw this posted on fb: https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/clash-lond ... ZhE7Ly0AAs

This album is so great to me, that any ranking is probably fine with me unless it leads too hard on side 4. That being said, someone needs to go out on a limb and rank all S! songs.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

matedog wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 10:59am
Saw this posted on fb: https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/clash-lond ... ZhE7Ly0AAs

This album is so great to me, that any ranking is probably fine with me unless it leads too hard on side 4. That being said, someone needs to go out on a limb and rank all S! songs.
Same here. Love every single groove on the album so it's merely down to list nitpicking. Unashamed big fan of Lovers Rock so wouldn't be last on my list and both JJ and TRP would be a good bit higher too.

Heston

Post by Heston »

I'll have a go. Best to worst...

Corner Soul
Something About England
One More Time
Charlie Don't Surf
Up In Heaven
Let's Go Crazy
Washington Bullets
Somebody Got Murdered
The Street Parade
The Call Up
Rebel Waltz
Mag 7
The Equaliser
Version City
Hitsville UK
Midnight Log
Ivan Meets G.I. Joe
The Leader
Police On My Back
Kingston Advice
Lose This Skin
If Music Could Talk
Sound of the Sinners
Broadway
Living In Fame
One More Dub
Shepherds Delight
Lightning Strikes
Career Opportunities
Look Here
The Crooked Beat
Junco Partner
Mensforth Hill
Version Pardner
Silicone On Sapphire
Junkie Slip
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Junkie Slip is underrated.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

BitterTom wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 3:48pm
Junkie Slip is underrated.
I like it... I'm amazed anything is rated lower than Mensforth Hill
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Heston wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 12:24pm
Best to worst...
Glad you pointed that out. :shifty:
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Heston

Post by Heston »

Olaf wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 4:50pm
Heston wrote:
Best to worst...
Glad you pointed that out. :shifty:
:mrgreen:

matedog

Post by matedog »

Solid Hoyston on distaste for Junkie Slip. I don't know if it's my least favorite, but it's down there.

Sandinista is a weird beast in that there are maybe five songs that I rank as the best on the album and I don't see them quite as transcendent as the best parts of London Calling which has maybe two or three upper echelon songs.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
I'll have a go. Best to worst...
Glad to see Let's Go Crazy way up there. Severely underrated, but I have a soca jones so that's just me.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Do we have any knowledge of what the band thought of the ska revival? We know the Specials connection obviously, but I'm wondering if there's any interview stuff where they talk about maybe the Selecter or the Beat, or anybody else.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc