The Clash observations thread.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 4:09pm
Sparky wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 3:40pm
How about your favorite 2-3 songs from each album (except CTC of course) to kind of show their progression from being a punk band to a whatever they needed up as band?
Meaning it merits far more than 2–3 songs.
I'd be hard pressed to choose only 2-3 songs per album myself, but for the sake of a varied playlist, you'd almost have to go that route.

For my playlist, it would be just about the entire first album, some singles, a few off of GEER, majority of LC, a couple off of Sandinista and CR.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Sparky wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 5:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 4:09pm
Sparky wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 3:40pm
How about your favorite 2-3 songs from each album (except CTC of course) to kind of show their progression from being a punk band to a whatever they needed up as band?
Meaning it merits far more than 2–3 songs.
I'd be hard pressed to choose only 2-3 songs per album myself, but for the sake of a varied playlist, you'd almost have to go that route.

For my playlist, it would be just about the entire first album, some singles, a few off of GEER, majority of LC, a couple off of Sandinista and CR.
Yeah that's usually my method for bands with a lot of songs, but in this case it's super difficult to limit. Putting on Let's Go Crazy and Charlie Don't Surf would mean leaving off One More Time, for example.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 4:58pm
I thought about doing the three playlists idea of Punk/Pop/Deep Cuts, but I then I considered that it wouldn't be true to the band because they would have had it all jumbled together on the same album rather than separated. I kind of want to give the truest representation of them that I can. I also thought it should be chronological because their comps usually are, but then that frontloads the thing with punk stuff she may not like as much.
You do have the advantage of precisely knowing your listener, so you already have a better sense of what works for her and what won't. So rely on that foreknowledge.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 5:28pm
Kory wrote:
I thought about doing the three playlists idea of Punk/Pop/Deep Cuts, but I then I considered that it wouldn't be true to the band because they would have had it all jumbled together on the same album rather than separated. I kind of want to give the truest representation of them that I can. I also thought it should be chronological because their comps usually are, but then that frontloads the thing with punk stuff she may not like as much.
You do have the advantage of precisely knowing your listener, so you already have a better sense of what works for her and what won't. So rely on that foreknowledge.
12 hour megamix of Fingerpoppin' it is!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 5:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
You are going to get destroyed in the divorce settlement. And we'll all know you deserved it.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 5:37pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
You are going to get destroyed in the divorce settlement. And we'll all know you deserved it.
Good thing I had that Fingerpoppin' clause in the prenup.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 5:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
One amendment or another must make that illegal. Maybe the shit about cruel and unusual punishment?

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 4:41pm
Heston wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 4:03pm
I reckon a double album length of 90 mins with 25 songs or so. Pick mainly the most commercially immediate stuff and she can fill in the gaps later if the interest is there. I've converted loads this way over the years.
I'm assuming you'd want to leave off Casbah and Should I stay due to excessive familiarity?
No, they are part of the story, big time. And both great tracks regardless.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

And I would go non-chronological. You need a super duper opening song like LC or Safe European Home.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 5:47pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

One amendment or another must make that illegal. Maybe the shit about cruel and unusual punishment?
My freedoms are more important than anyone else's.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 6:06pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 5:47pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

My freedoms are more important than anyone else's.
Which is why you carry a laminated miniature constitution in lieu of id.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Heston wrote:
And I would go non-chronological. You need a super duper opening song like LC or Safe European Home.
Hello,

Safe European Home is the best opener! I don't care if I had to go see Joni Mitchell, if she opened with Safe European Home, it would be much more tolerable. Blitzkrieg Bop would be okay as well.
Last edited by gkbill on 23 Jun 2021, 8:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heston

Post by Heston »

gkbill wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 6:46pm
Heston wrote:
Hello,

Safe European Home is the best opener! I don't care if I had to go see Joni Mitchell, if she opened with Safe European Home, it would be mush more tolerable. Blitzkrieg Bop would be okay as well.
I still vividly remember the first time I heard it. I had to play it again about 6 times before I could move on with the rest of the album.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Heston wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 6:56pm
gkbill wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 6:46pm
Heston wrote:
Hello,

Safe European Home is the best opener! I don't care if I had to go see Joni Mitchell, if she opened with Safe European Home, it would be mush more tolerable. Blitzkrieg Bop would be okay as well.
I still vividly remember the first time I heard it. I had to play it again about 6 times before I could move on with the rest of the album.
To this day whenever I listen to GEER, Safe European Home always gets at least two plays before I proceed to listen to the rest of the album. Just a great opening number period.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Sparky wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 7:17pm
To this day whenever I listen to GEER, Safe European Home always gets at least two plays before I proceed to listen to the rest of the album. Just a great opening number period.
I'm struggling to think of a better three-song run on any Clash album than those opening three on GEER.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps