The Clash observations thread.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 May 2021, 7:29pm
Heston wrote:
18 May 2021, 7:26pm
Marky Dread wrote:
18 May 2021, 7:21pm
Low Down Low wrote:
18 May 2021, 7:19pm
Is Long Time Jerk about Pearl Harbour? Sure i've read somewhere that Paul supposedly wrote it for or about his ex, though it reads much more like a joe song to me anyway.
They are Joe's lyrics aren't they?
I understand it's mainly a Paul song. I've read it somewhere before. The official credit goes to Strummer/Simonon/Jones.
Paul's tune but Joe's lyrics?

Gonna scrape the trouble off my boots!

I've always wondered why they issued a shorter version than the B-side on "Super Black Market Clash".
Only my guess but i think paul had a few thoughts or ideas scribbled out and joe pretty much put the shape on them. It reads at least 80% joe to me anyway.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
18 May 2021, 7:33pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Is Long Time Jerk about Pearl Harbour? Sure i've read somewhere that Paul supposedly wrote it for or about his ex, though it reads much more like a joe song to me anyway.
I understand it's mainly a Paul song. I've read it somewhere before. The official credit goes to Strummer/Simonon/Jones.

I've always wondered why they issued a shorter version than the B-side on "Super Black Market Clash".
Only my guess but i think paul had a few thoughts or ideas scribbled out and joe pretty much put the shape on them. It reads at least 80% joe to me anyway.
Yeah I think they feel more Joe than Paul. The demo just has Joe singing a scat vocal.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

I read they were Paul's lyrics but Joe may have been hanging over his shoulder, he's credited after all. This is where one of those in-depth Beatles books would be handy, breaking shit down.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
18 May 2021, 7:58pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

I read they were Paul's lyrics but Joe may have been hanging over his shoulder, he's credited after all. This is where one of those in-depth Beatles books would be handy, breaking shit down.
That would indeed be a great book to have.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Looking back at those post-LC songwriting credits, Paul is on a helluva lot of songs. Who knows what he contributed, it has never really been explained in interviews. But knowing that Rebel Waltz is a Strummer/Simonon song makes me curious about its inception.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
18 May 2021, 8:03pm
Looking back at those post-LC songwriting credits, Paul is on a helluva lot of songs. Who knows what he contributed, it has never really been explained in interviews. But knowing that Rebel Waltz is a Strummer/Simonon song makes me curious about its inception.
Reading through some of Joe's lyrics you get a sense of a certain way of writing even down to certain words that make you feel "hey, that's so Joe".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 May 2021, 8:07pm
Heston wrote:
Reading through some of Joe's lyrics you get a sense of a certain way of writing even down to certain words that make you feel "hey, that's so Joe".
I know what you mean. But maybe Paul was getting influenced by Joe? Who knows? I think something like Rebel Waltz can only be a Joe lyric but Long Time Jerk is in the realms of possibility for Paul.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
18 May 2021, 8:13pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
I know what you mean. But maybe Paul was getting influenced by Joe? Who knows? I think something like Rebel Waltz can only be a Joe lyric but Long Time Jerk is in the realms of possibility for Paul.
Oh definitely possible. The tune feels very rockabilly/cajun which both Paul and Joe were big on at the time. So I think maybe a joint effort could be a solid guess.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 May 2021, 8:16pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Oh definitely possible. The tune feels very rockabilly/cajun which both Paul and Joe were big on at the time. So I think maybe a joint effort could be a solid guess.
Do you think topper contributed more than given credit for? I mean like for melodies, chords that sort of stuff. I mean he was more musically accomplished/well rounded than Paul in many ways.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
19 May 2021, 5:27pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Do you think topper contributed more than given credit for? I mean like for melodies, chords that sort of stuff. I mean he was more musically accomplished/well rounded than Paul in many ways.
Other than "Casbah" I doubt it. Mick and Joe covered enough ground.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Marky Dread wrote:
19 May 2021, 5:36pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I agree but That’s just such a fully realized tune that I’m amazed. So much wasted potential that the four of them couldn’t have stayed together. Not a new sentiment I know.

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

Heston wrote:
Interesting. I might have missed it but where are you finding the writing credits broken down like that? I thought everything was just credited to "The Clash" after LC.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Jimmy Jazz wrote:
20 May 2021, 2:09am
Heston wrote:
Interesting. I might have missed it but where are you finding the writing credits broken down like that? I thought everything was just credited to "The Clash" after LC.
Check this thread mate, all is explained...

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12478&hilit=credits

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

Heston wrote:
20 May 2021, 2:14am
Jimmy Jazz wrote:
20 May 2021, 2:09am
Heston wrote:
Check this thread mate, all is explained...

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12478&hilit=credits
Thanks, great find

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
20 May 2021, 1:28am
Marky Dread wrote:
19 May 2021, 5:36pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

I agree but That’s just such a fully realized tune that I’m amazed. So much wasted potential that the four of them couldn’t have stayed together. Not a new sentiment I know.
I would point you to his so called solo material after he left The Clash. Nothing matches "Casbah".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia