The Clash observations thread.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 May 2019, 6:40pm
Kory wrote:
20 May 2019, 2:42pm
Heston wrote:
20 May 2019, 1:59pm
Kory wrote:
20 May 2019, 1:58pm
Heston wrote:
20 May 2019, 1:55pm

The last couple of years have been a bit quiet on the EET WEEK front. Hopefully your enthusiasm can ignite some debate. The first few years with the listening parties were legendary.
I think having Tom and WK around should spice it up a bit. We all have to admit it was pretty hard to follow up the year (2012 I think?) that we made the tribute album.
Shit, was it that long ago?
I thought it was 2013 but when I was going back to look for the album cover I put together, I found it was even further. I was similarly surprised.
We did a cover album in 2012 and another in 2013.
That's right—I couldn't participate in the second one because I was knee-deep in school. That is why the first one is the best one.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
20 May 2019, 6:41pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
20 May 2019, 1:58pm

I think having Tom and WK around should spice it up a bit. We all have to admit it was pretty hard to follow up the year (2012 I think?) that we made the tribute album.
I thought it was 2013 but when I was going back to look for the album cover I put together, I found it was even further. I was similarly surprised.
That's right—I couldn't participate in the second one because I was knee-deep in school. That is why the first one is the best one.
You would've ruined the second one anyway ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 May 2019, 6:44pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:

I recall my "Are You Red...y" being one of the more popular tracks, so that's a fact you can take to the bank.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
20 May 2019, 7:05pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:

I recall my "Are You Red...y" being one of the more popular tracks, so that's a fact you can take to the bank.
It was my favourite, I must admit.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
20 May 2019, 7:12pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

YES

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
20 May 2019, 7:23pm
Heston wrote:
20 May 2019, 7:12pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:

YES
..and mine but you were not read...y for the second album. Difficult second album syndrome.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Out of interest, who's given a break or still listening to The Clash after the poll? I took a break but revisiting S! as we speak, put on Corner Soul, got that funny feeling...

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BitterTom wrote:
28 May 2019, 4:29pm
Out of interest, who's given a break or still listening to The Clash after the poll? I took a break but revisiting S! as we speak, put on Corner Soul, got that funny feeling...
I can't remember a day where I haven't listened to The Clash. I'm not obsessed honest.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 May 2019, 4:45pm
BitterTom wrote:
I can't remember a day where I haven't listened to The Clash. I'm not obsessed honest.
I am like that with BAD - but i have to admit i got very moved at listening to I fought the law today and i was surprised as i have heard that far too many times to be excited, but today i was like wow

I find usually though that the later clash albums have more longevity for me after all these years of listening.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
28 May 2019, 5:50pm
Marky Dread wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
I am like that with BAD - but i have to admit i got very moved at listening to I fought the law today and i was surprised as i have heard that far too many times to be excited, but today i was like wow

I find usually though that the later clash albums have more longevity for me after all these years of listening.
That's Sandinista! for me. I never get bored with that album due to sheer volume of greatness.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 May 2019, 6:07pm
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

That's Sandinista! for me. I never get bored with that album due to sheer volume of greatness.
Totally agree i love sandanista

Heston

Post by Heston »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

I heard I Fought the Law unexpectedly the other day on my local radio station when they were doing 1979 for their "Time of Our Lives" feature. It sounded fucking great and even the DJ said why isn't this on the radio more.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
28 May 2019, 8:25pm
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

I heard I Fought the Law unexpectedly the other day on my local radio station when they were doing 1979 for their "Time of Our Lives" feature. It sounded fucking great and even the DJ said why isn't this on the radio more.
...because radio loves fucking Starship.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 May 2019, 8:26pm
Heston wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

Radio's always playing....corporation games. But Radio Newcastle is a BBC station where advertisers don't get a say. The commercial stations would never go there...

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
28 May 2019, 8:30pm
Marky Dread wrote:
28 May 2019, 8:26pm
Heston wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Radio's always playing....corporation games. But Radio Newcastle is a BBC station where advertisers don't get a say. The commercial stations would never go there...
Commercial radio always plays it safe. Most of these stations nowadays are not even live anymore they just play preprogrammed stuff.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia