The Clash observations thread.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 May 2021, 4:23am
RockNRollWhore wrote:
20 May 2021, 1:28am
Marky Dread wrote:
19 May 2021, 5:36pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
19 May 2021, 5:27pm
Marky Dread wrote:
18 May 2021, 8:16pm

Oh definitely possible. The tune feels very rockabilly/cajun which both Paul and Joe were big on at the time. So I think maybe a joint effort could be a solid guess.
Do you think topper contributed more than given credit for? I mean like for melodies, chords that sort of stuff. I mean he was more musically accomplished/well rounded than Paul in many ways.
Other than "Casbah" I doubt it. Mick and Joe covered enough ground.
I agree but That’s just such a fully realized tune that I’m amazed. So much wasted potential that the four of them couldn’t have stayed together. Not a new sentiment I know.
I would point you to his so called solo material after he left The Clash. Nothing matches "Casbah".
It's likely hard to write at that caliber when you don't have your friends around to support you, plus you're deeper into addiction to medicate your depression at being sacked. Not very conducive to creativity, I'm sure.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
20 May 2021, 1:13pm
Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:

Do you think topper contributed more than given credit for? I mean like for melodies, chords that sort of stuff. I mean he was more musically accomplished/well rounded than Paul in many ways.
I agree but That’s just such a fully realized tune that I’m amazed. So much wasted potential that the four of them couldn’t have stayed together. Not a new sentiment I know.
I would point you to his so called solo material after he left The Clash. Nothing matches "Casbah".
It's likely hard to write at that caliber when you don't have your friends around to support you, plus you're deeper into addiction to medicate your depression at being sacked. Not very conducive to creativity, I'm sure.
High modernism is predicated on that very requirement, in essence. Only by being fully alienated can your work demonstrate the fundamental alienating nature of modern life. Surely you're not saying the idea of the starving, miserable artist is incorrect, sir!
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:

All the above is correct. But the "Waking Up" album was made after Topper had been through re-hab.

My comment wasn't a put down on what Topper was capable of. But of the fact that "Casbah" was just a short Instrumental jam he had worked on. It had to be doubled in length to produce the track. It was said in response to RNRW asking if Topper was responsible for more stuff like melodies etc.

I'm probably one of the few that enjoys Waking Up but again Topper couldn't of made that album alone. As with "Casbah" being a great tune it still needed Mick's input and a great Joe lyric.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2021, 1:33pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

High modernism is predicated on that very requirement, in essence. Only by being fully alienated can your work demonstrate the fundamental alienating nature of modern life. Surely you're not saying the idea of the starving, miserable artist is incorrect, sir!
I guess I just identify with people who don't reach great heights since I live with perpetual writer's block and also fail to reach any heights. :lol:

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

I presume Topper had a hand in the writing of Ivan, not sure how much though. Really like his vocals on that one and shame he didn't have another one or two to be at least in line with Paul.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
20 May 2021, 2:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:

I guess I just identify with people who don't reach great heights since I live with perpetual writer's block and also fail to reach any heights. :lol:
That's what makes you a true triumphant artist. Show me a respect and comfortable artist and I'll show you a fraud!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2021, 2:15pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

That's what makes you a true triumphant artist. Show me a respect and comfortable artist and I'll show you a fraud!
That Damien Hirst is full of shit, man.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
20 May 2021, 2:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

I swear, if you ever gain recognition and success, I'll scorn you on principle.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Oh definitely possible. The tune feels very rockabilly/cajun which both Paul and Joe were big on at the time. So I think maybe a joint effort could be a solid guess.
Not having one of the best vocalists and lyricists singing your songs also doesn't help.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Should there have been a Topper vocal on RAD?
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Silent Majority wrote:
20 May 2021, 3:22pm
Should there have been a Topper vocal on RAD?
Paul's vocal is and always will be rad, and RAD. It makes total sense to me. Personally, I know the alley...

I can't imagine how Joe would have even delivered that song anyway.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2021, 2:33pm
Kory wrote:
20 May 2021, 2:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I swear, if you ever gain recognition and success, I'll scorn you on principle.
I would prefer that you do. I expect I'd have a very Joe-like ambivalence about it. PTSD from when "selling out" was still a major concern among anybody.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

You could argue that he was far too drug addled at that point.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
21 May 2021, 10:37pm
Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:

"casbah". It's a very good track but it still needed Mick and Joe.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 May 2021, 3:56am
RockNRollWhore wrote:
21 May 2021, 10:37pm
Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

"casbah". It's a very good track but it still needed Mick and Joe.
Have we ever gotten a glance at those "super raunchy" early lyrics Topper wrote up? Can you get any more cringe than lovers rock?