The Clash observations thread.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 1:04pm
I like the horns on Movers and Shakers!
You mariachi rebel!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 1:04pm
I like the horns on Movers and Shakers!
Me too
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Stefano1972
Long Time Jerk

Post by Stefano1972 »

interview by Red Ronnie at the italian tv channel "Italia 1", i think the tv program was DJ television. https://mega.nz/file/BoBnjDjA#jM8XCFQd5 ... MFe17UZ9GI

“Where love rules, there is no will to power, and where power predominates, love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other.”
- Carl Gustav Jung

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Stefano1972 wrote:
14 Aug 2022, 2:48pm
interview by Red Ronnie at the italian tv channel "Italia 1", i think the tv program was DJ television. https://mega.nz/file/BoBnjDjA#jM8XCFQd5 ... MFe17UZ9GI
Wow. Even without the commentary, this would be confusing. It seems to be all over the place. What's the connection between Clash II and John Moss?

But thanks for posting! Nice find if you speak Italian.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Stefano1972
Long Time Jerk

Post by Stefano1972 »

Olaf wrote:
14 Aug 2022, 3:35pm
Stefano1972 wrote:
14 Aug 2022, 2:48pm
Wow. Even without the commentary, this would be confusing. It seems to be all over the place. What's the connection between Clash II and John Moss?

But thanks for posting! Nice find if you speak Italian.
It's like a collage from different sources but the main interview it's from their italian tour at the festival dell'Unità (Italian Communist Party Festival) on september 1984. I'll try to do a decent translation as soon as possible. The connection with John Moss it's because he was drummer of The Clash for only two weeks (in the 1976). Moss says he went away cause of their political opinions. At the end of this video it's possible to see also the Levis spot with Should I Stay Or Should I go as anthem.
Greetings from Italy

“Where love rules, there is no will to power, and where power predominates, love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other.”
- Carl Gustav Jung

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I spent a night in Iron Mountain, Michigan recently. The Upper Peninsula is full of natural beauty, but the human factor can be quite grungy. The hotel had a classic rock station playing in that lobby: Mellencamp, Foreigner, Zeppelin. That kind of stuff. As we were leaving the next morning, I heard the Clash’s version of “I Fought the Law” which got me thinking of the band’s relationship with classic rock radio. There are a handful of songs I expect to hear: IFtL and “Should I Stay” and maybe “Train in Vain”. I don’t think it’s a bad thing to hear them on the radio: their musical legacy is enduring.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

WestwayKid wrote:
20 Aug 2022, 11:01pm
I spent a night in Iron Mountain, Michigan recently. The Upper Peninsula is full of natural beauty, but the human factor can be quite grungy. The hotel had a classic rock station playing in that lobby: Mellencamp, Foreigner, Zeppelin. That kind of stuff. As we were leaving the next morning, I heard the Clash’s version of “I Fought the Law” which got me thinking of the band’s relationship with classic rock radio. There are a handful of songs I expect to hear: IFtL and “Should I Stay” and maybe “Train in Vain”. I don’t think it’s a bad thing to hear them on the radio: their musical legacy is enduring.
You never hear IFtL or Train In Vain on the radio over here, it's always Casbah or Should I Stay, with an occasional London Calling.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

I listen to this show quite often in the evenings, it's quite light and very eclectic mix which suits me and host is big Clash/Joe fan. On the evening below, i recall him saying he was going to spin a few Clash/Joe tracks for no reason in particular, purely for the hell of it. It's usually the familiar tracks - Bankrobber and Mag 7 are particular favourites - but a while back i remember him playing At the Border, Guy and i thought, man, that's deep, much respect!

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/john-cr ... may-2021//

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Guns on the Roof has to be the biggest discrepancy between great lyrics and bad instrumental in their discography right? I'm trying to think of an example of the inverse: bad lyrics and great music? Perhaps RAD, but Paul's voice might be throwing me off a good lyric.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 12:34pm
Guns on the Roof has to be the biggest discrepancy between great lyrics and bad instrumental in their discography right? I'm trying to think of an example of the inverse: bad lyrics and great music? Perhaps RAD, but Paul's voice might be throwing me off a good lyric.
Same album "Cheapskates" great tune poor lyrics.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 1:03pm
matedog wrote:
Same album "Cheapskates" great tune poor lyrics.
I like that answer.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
Depends on your opinion of "Lovers Rock" for music, but maybe that?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 3:47pm
matedog wrote:
The thing with "Lovers Rock" is it's written totally tongue in cheek. So I like the dig at all those "Hey baby" Barry White type of things.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
No, that song is great through and through.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 3:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
The thing with "Lovers Rock" is it's written totally tongue in cheek. So I like the dig at all those "Hey baby" Barry White type of things.
I've never interpreted it that way because the band always came across as eminently sincere. The idea of a joke song just doesn't ring true for me. I'm not dismissing the idea, mind you, but it's very un-Clash.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft