The Clash observations thread.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by gkbill »

matedog wrote:
23 Dec 2022, 5:36pm
Kory wrote:
07 Dec 2022, 3:42pm

I'm positive we've talked about this book before, but I can't find it using the search (even by putting the title in quotes). Can anyone find the thread where this book is assessed?
Meant to post this awhile ago, but here’s a random page from the book as an example.
Hello,

So, we can pay to learn brief summaries and the author's opinions of Clash songs? Is there something else I'm unaware of in this book?

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
23 Dec 2022, 6:07pm
matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:

I'm positive we've talked about this book before, but I can't find it using the search (even by putting the title in quotes). Can anyone find the thread where this book is assessed?
Meant to post this awhile ago, but here’s a random page from the book as an example.
Boy, he doesn't like Kingston Advice much, huh? Are they all roughly that short and tossed off?
He called it “powerful” and “impressive.” I thought he liked it.

As you would Imagine, the lesser songs get shorter write ups. But yeah, he does address every single song which you don’t get too often.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
23 Dec 2022, 9:40pm
Kory wrote:
matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:

Boy, he doesn't like Kingston Advice much, huh? Are they all roughly that short and tossed off?
He called it “powerful” and “impressive.” I thought he liked it.

As you would Imagine, the lesser songs get shorter write ups. But yeah, he does address every single song which you don’t get too often.
Oh I misread it because I was reading it sideways :lol:
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:

And he gets the lyrics wrong. It's "the beat" that is militant.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

Heston wrote:
07 Dec 2022, 5:52pm
matedog wrote:
07 Dec 2022, 3:44pm
Kory wrote:

I've got it. Are you looking to see if it's worthwhile?
There are some strange opinions in it, and plenty of factual mistakes from memory.
Looks like I was correct.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
24 Dec 2022, 5:17am
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:

There are some strange opinions in it, and plenty of factual mistakes from memory.
There's also a lot of info in the book. I think it's worth owning and a good resource. All the books on The Clash have errors.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 Dec 2022, 6:08am
Heston wrote:
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:

There's also a lot of info in the book. I think it's worth owning and a good resource. All the books on The Clash have errors.
Yeah it was a decent read, just being a grinch.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
24 Dec 2022, 6:17am
Marky Dread wrote:
24 Dec 2022, 6:08am
Heston wrote:
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:

Yeah it was a decent read, just being a grinch.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Mick & Paul having some fun. Got a chuckle out of the part where Paul mentions a "lost Clash record".

God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Sparky wrote:
31 Jan 2023, 8:43pm
Mick & Paul having some fun. Got a chuckle out of the part where Paul mentions a "lost Clash record".

instagram.com/p/CnsrA-CodRR/
That was quite funny. Very nice to see the guys having some fun.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:

There is something so heartwarming and satisfying about how these guys are in their elderhood. We can (and do) gripe about legacy releases and all that, but there's a contentment and modesty and playfulness about their history that offers real feel-good vibes.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jan 2023, 9:23pm
Sparky wrote:

There is something so heartwarming and satisfying about how these guys are in their elderhood. We can (and do) gripe about legacy releases and all that, but there's a contentment and modesty and playfulness about their history that offers real feel-good vibes.
It makes me feel real Snewsy. I want to have dinner with them.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 7:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jan 2023, 9:23pm
Sparky wrote:

What kind of salad does Paul prefer? I need to know this badly!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
It's amazing that whenever this place finally goes tits up we'll not only lose our decades and decades of discussions bit an entire micro-cultural moment and memories will be lost forever (like, what does "news" mean af even documentation that it ever existed). I've been shutting down most of my internet presences in places (like, blogs and social media and stuff) over the last year and it struck me how many decades of myself I've poured into shit thats just been wiped out with the click of a button. I've been reflecting on how, despite warnings of everything living on the internet forever, practically speaking for most people shit is actually really, really impermanent. Wipe out an online profile and you'll be almost instantly forgotten, if people ever paid you any attention at all. So, not that different from real life, I guess.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 7:12pm
Kory wrote:
It's amazing that whenever this place finally goes tits up we'll not only lose our decades and decades of discussions bit an entire micro-cultural moment and memories will be lost forever (like, what does "news" mean af even documentation that it ever existed). I've been shutting down most of my internet presences in places (like, blogs and social media and stuff) over the last year and it struck me how many decades of myself I've poured into shit thats just been wiped out with the click of a button. I've been reflecting on how, despite warnings of everything living on the internet forever, practically speaking for most people shit is actually really, really impermanent. Wipe out an online profile and you'll be almost instantly forgotten, if people ever paid you any attention at all. So, not that different from real life, I guess.
Sorry remind me again, who are you?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia