The Clash observations thread.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by Kory »

Anyone on FB that isn't following this group yet, should be. It's very entertaining, as seen in this example.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/461130861334153
Attachments
puns-of-brixton.jpg
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Every Little Bit Hurts should have definitely been on Sandanista. Such a well done cover. Jonesy is beautiful sounding on there.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

I beg to differ.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Wolter wrote:
02 May 2021, 7:57pm
I beg to differ.
Certainly would have been better than Sheep noises and flamenco guitar?

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
02 May 2021, 8:50pm
Wolter wrote:
I beg to differ.
would have been better imploding into an alternate universe of non-existence.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Flex wrote:
02 May 2021, 9:24pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Wolter wrote:
I beg to differ.
would have been better imploding into an alternate universe of non-existence.
You hate it that much?

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Some things are outtakes for a reason.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
02 May 2021, 6:34pm
Every Little Bit Hurts should have definitely been on Sandanista. Such a well done cover. Jonesy is beautiful sounding on there.
I'm with you here. One of Mick's best ever vocals imo.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
Wolter wrote:
I beg to differ.
There is nothing wrong with Shepherd's Delight. If you want to pick on a song from Sandinista try Junkie Slip or Silicone On Sapphire.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

It's fine as an outtake. It was just an old song Mick and Chrissie Hynde would sing together back in the day.

Heston is correct that Mick's voice is good on the track. But the take isn't really strong enough. The cover of the old Brenda Holloway Tamla track had a lot to live up to. With great covers by The Spencer Davis Group.

Mick Jones - vocals, piano / Norman Watt-Roy - bass / Mickey Gallagher - organ / Topper Headon - drums. I'm sure if was anything more than a playful couple of run throughs and taken more seriously they would've cut a blinding version.

Plus the track is very un Clash like for Sandinista!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 May 2021, 3:27am
It's fine as an outtake. It was just an old song Mick and Chrissie Hynde would sing together back in the day.

Heston is correct that Mick's voice is good on the track. But the take isn't really strong enough. The cover of the old Brenda Holloway Tamla track had a lot to live up to. With great covers by The Spencer Davis Group.

Mick Jones - vocals, piano / Norman Watt-Roy - bass / Mickey Gallagher - organ / Topper Headon - drums. I'm sure if was anything more than a playful couple of run throughs and taken more seriously they would've cut a blinding version.

I don't think un Clash like is a thing... especially on Sandanista... they fucking tried everything under the sun. Perhaps if they tried a metal song. That would be out of character. In my alternate history, after Cut The Crap tops the billboard chart, they regroup with Bob Rock in 1988 to record their glam metal masterpiece...

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
03 May 2021, 12:58pm
Marky Dread wrote:

I don't think un Clash like is a thing... especially on Sandanista... they fucking tried everything under the sun. Perhaps if they tried a metal song. That would be out of character. In my alternate history, after Cut The Crap tops the billboard chart, they regroup with Bob Rock in 1988 to record their glam metal masterpiece...
First of all I'm glad I don't live in your alternate history as it sounds a terrible place. Isn't GEER their glam metal masterpiece.

"Every Little Bit Hurts" is a ballad and would definitely be out of place of Sandinista! Even though as you say they tried everything.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 May 2021, 1:04pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

First of all I'm glad I don't live in your alternate history as it sounds a terrible place. Isn't GEER their glam metal masterpiece.

"Every Little Bit Hurts" is a ballad and would definitely be out of place of Sandinista! Even though as you say they tried everything.
I consider Something about England to be something of an epic ballad. Idk it's similar enough in tone to some of the more subdued stuff like broadway and the street parade.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
03 May 2021, 1:13pm
Marky Dread wrote:
03 May 2021, 1:04pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I consider Something about England to be something of an epic ballad. Idk it's similar enough in tone to some of the more subdued stuff like broadway and the street parade.
I would call "Something About England" vaudeville or music hall. Very wistful lyrics but I wouldn't call it a ballad.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

182196986_307196990991085_1571592496794709065_n.jpg
182196986_307196990991085_1571592496794709065_n.jpg (123.32 KiB) Viewed 1329 times
A steal at any price... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble