The Clash observations thread.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 7:58pm
Heston wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 7:34pm
The guest list on Sandinista is pretty massive but there's a lot of missing info on who does what. Would have been nice to have it broken down properly.
Tymon Dogg (credited as 'Timon Dogg') - vocals & violin on "Lose This Skin", violin on "Lightning Strikes (Not Once but Twice)", "Something About England", "Mensforth Hill", "Junco Partner" and "The Equaliser", keyboard on "Sound of the Sinners"
Mickey Gallagher (Blockheads) - keyboards
Norman Watt-Roy (Blockheads) - bass guitar on "The Magnificent Seven"
J.P. Nicholson (also one of the album's engineers)
Ellen Foley - co-lead vocal on "Hitsville U.K."
Davey Payne (Blockheads) - saxophone on "Ivan Meets G.I. Joe", "Something About England", "The Crooked Beat", "If Music Could Talk", "Lose This Skin" and "Mensford Hill"
Rick Gascoigne - trombone on "Ivan Meets G.I. Joe", "Something About England", "Lose This Skin", "Mensford Hill" and "The Street Parade"
Band Sgt. Dave Yates - Drill Sergeant on "The Call Up"
Den Hegarty (Darts) - vocals
Luke & Ben Gallagher - vocals on "Career Opportunities"
Maria Gallagher - coda vocals on "Broadway"
Gary Barnacle - saxophone on "Ivan Meets G.I. Joe", "Something About England", "The Crooked Beat", "Lose This Skin", "Mensford Hill" and "The Street Parade"
Arthur Edward "Bill" Barnacle (Gary's father) - trumpet on " Ivan Meets G.I. Joe", "Something About England", "Lose This Skin" and "The Street Parade"
Jody Linscott - percussion
Ivan Julian (Voidoids) - guitar
Noel "Tempo" Bailey (aka Sowell, reggae artist/session man) - guitar
Anthony Nelson Steelie (Wycliffe Johnson of Steely and Clevie)
Lew Lewis (Eddie and the Hot Rods) - harmonica on "Junco Partner", "Look Here", "Corner Soul", "Midnight Log", "The Equaliser", "Version City" and "Version Pardner"
Gerald Baxter-Warman
Terry McQuade (had a small role in Rude Boy)
Rudolph Adolphus Jordan
Battersea
Mikey Dread - vocals on "The Crooked Beat", "One More Time", "Living in Fame" and "Look Here"
Mikey Dread on Look Here? And what the hell is "drill sergeant" on The Call Up? What did Noel "Tempo" Bailey play on?
Should've said "One More Dub". "Look Here" is just a error. Noel ''Sowell'' Bailey was in the ''Roots Radics'' a highly respected studio band that backed people like Bunny Wailer and Gregory Isaacs. He was also associated with Mikey Dread so it's possible he plays guitar on the Mikey dub tracks.

"drill sergeant" on The Call Up? - A guess maybe he was responsible for the chant "Hut-two-three-four, I love the Marine Corps".
That crossed my mind but surely that's Mick doing the "hut two three fours?"
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Heston wrote:
07 Feb 2019, 4:10am
Marky Dread wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 7:58pm
Heston wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 7:34pm
The guest list on Sandinista is pretty massive but there's a lot of missing info on who does what. Would have been nice to have it broken down properly.
Tymon Dogg (credited as 'Timon Dogg') - vocals & violin on "Lose This Skin", violin on "Lightning Strikes (Not Once but Twice)", "Something About England", "Mensforth Hill", "Junco Partner" and "The Equaliser", keyboard on "Sound of the Sinners"
Mickey Gallagher (Blockheads) - keyboards
Norman Watt-Roy (Blockheads) - bass guitar on "The Magnificent Seven"
J.P. Nicholson (also one of the album's engineers)
Ellen Foley - co-lead vocal on "Hitsville U.K."
Davey Payne (Blockheads) - saxophone on "Ivan Meets G.I. Joe", "Something About England", "The Crooked Beat", "If Music Could Talk", "Lose This Skin" and "Mensford Hill"
Rick Gascoigne - trombone on "Ivan Meets G.I. Joe", "Something About England", "Lose This Skin", "Mensford Hill" and "The Street Parade"
Band Sgt. Dave Yates - Drill Sergeant on "The Call Up"
Den Hegarty (Darts) - vocals
Luke & Ben Gallagher - vocals on "Career Opportunities"
Maria Gallagher - coda vocals on "Broadway"
Gary Barnacle - saxophone on "Ivan Meets G.I. Joe", "Something About England", "The Crooked Beat", "Lose This Skin", "Mensford Hill" and "The Street Parade"
Arthur Edward "Bill" Barnacle (Gary's father) - trumpet on " Ivan Meets G.I. Joe", "Something About England", "Lose This Skin" and "The Street Parade"
Jody Linscott - percussion
Ivan Julian (Voidoids) - guitar
Noel "Tempo" Bailey (aka Sowell, reggae artist/session man) - guitar
Anthony Nelson Steelie (Wycliffe Johnson of Steely and Clevie)
Lew Lewis (Eddie and the Hot Rods) - harmonica on "Junco Partner", "Look Here", "Corner Soul", "Midnight Log", "The Equaliser", "Version City" and "Version Pardner"
Gerald Baxter-Warman
Terry McQuade (had a small role in Rude Boy)
Rudolph Adolphus Jordan
Battersea
Mikey Dread - vocals on "The Crooked Beat", "One More Time", "Living in Fame" and "Look Here"
Mikey Dread on Look Here? And what the hell is "drill sergeant" on The Call Up? What did Noel "Tempo" Bailey play on?
Should've said "One More Dub". "Look Here" is just a error. Noel ''Sowell'' Bailey was in the ''Roots Radics'' a highly respected studio band that backed people like Bunny Wailer and Gregory Isaacs. He was also associated with Mikey Dread so it's possible he plays guitar on the Mikey dub tracks.

"drill sergeant" on The Call Up? - A guess maybe he was responsible for the chant "Hut-two-three-four, I love the Marine Corps".
That crossed my mind but surely that's Mick doing the "hut two three fours?"
Assuming the drill sergeant is the guy shouting the line preceding the hut 2,3,4s. “To the right something something...”

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

In the promo clip for Bankrobber - who is the dude in the gray jacket - drink in hand - grooving behind Mikey Dread while he's producing?
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

WestwayKid wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 5:10pm
In the promo clip for Bankrobber - who is the dude in the gray jacket - drink in hand - grooving behind Mikey Dread while he's producing?
Kosmo? Looks like him anyway but am only about 70 per cent sure of it.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Low Down Low wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 5:52pm
WestwayKid wrote:
That's always been my view.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Low Down Low wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
I think you're right. It sure looks like him.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 6:00pm
Low Down Low wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Yes it is Kosmo 100%.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 6:23pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Yes it is Kosmo 100%.
Looks like he's imbibing a gin & tonic!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 6:25pm
Marky Dread wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 6:23pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Yes it is Kosmo 100%.
Looks like he's imbibing a gin & tonic!
Mother's ruin and a nice skanking groove.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

WestwayKid wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Yeah it’s him alright....I’m 90% convinced now and that’s close to how certain i can be about anything these mental days and that includes night and day!

Must say i have a real soft spot for bankrobber, particularly the epic the meskies made out of it, but not least because of the fun the band seem to be having in that video. They still seem so together, a group, happy in their skin and making great songs. And....within a year pretty much turned to shit or at least heading that way. Ah, well...

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 6:27pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Yeah it’s him alright....I’m 90% convinced now and that’s close to how certain i can be about anything these mental days and that includes night and day!

Must say i have a real soft spot for bankrobber, particularly the epic the meskies made out of it, but not least because of the fun the band seem to be having in that video. They still seem so together, a group, happy in their skin and making great songs. And....within a year pretty much turned to shit or at least heading that way. Ah, well...
I love Bankrobber it's a fantastic track. I've always been stunned that the record label wouldn't release it the UK and it had to chart on import initially.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 6:31pm
Low Down Low wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

I love Bankrobber it's a fantastic track. I've always been stunned that the record label wouldn't release it the UK and it had to chart on import initially.
Great song plus Rockers Galore is a favourite of mine.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

101Walterton wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 6:33pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Great song plus Rockers Galore is a favourite of mine.
Yes and yes!

To reach no 12 in the charts with pretty much no promotional push behind it speaks volumes for its quality i think.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

It's a fantastic track. I've always loved Joe's vocal on that one. I was just looking at the Wikipedia page (for what it's worth) for the track and the musical credits are interesting. Mick's sole contribution is listed as sound effects. Joe's credited for guitars (and piano).

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 6:52pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

It's a fantastic track. I've always loved Joe's vocal on that one. I was just looking at the Wikipedia page (for what it's worth) for the track and the musical credits are interesting. Mick's sole contribution is listed as sound effects. Joe's credited for guitars (and piano).
Mick plays bottleneck guitar on that one.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia