The Clash observations thread.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Grim. There's a certain kind of band that simply isn't built for the long haul.
No argument from me there -- I know a lot of my people in my circle who bought into them at the time, but I wasn't one of them...and dinner theatre or no, I wouldn't cross the road to see 'em. :mrgreen:

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Chairman Ralph wrote:
28 Aug 2020, 3:21am
Grim. There's a certain kind of band that simply isn't built for the long haul.
No argument from me there -- I know a lot of my people in my circle who bought into them at the time, but I wasn't one of them...and dinner theatre or no, I wouldn't cross the road to see 'em. :mrgreen:
What changed your mind?

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

What changed your mind?
Nothing. I didn't buy into their shtick, or their MO for it. It didn't do anything for me. Like I said, other people in my circle dug them, but I was never among them. That's how it goes sometimes.

mcintyrepoet
Dirty Punk

Post by mcintyrepoet »

Quite agree with the previous comments Ralph, I saw the Pixies years ago and thought they were shite! Rock without the roll does nothing for me

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Quite agree with the previous comments Ralph, I saw the Pixies years ago and thought they were shite! Rock without the roll does nothing for me
Same here -- I felt likewise about the grunge era. "Too much rawk, not enough roll, with a publicist doing damage control," as I used to tell people. Next! :mrgreen:

Likewise, for all that '90s-era Tinkertoy pop-punk, in all its over-compressed, tinny-sounding, watery glory. Not a lot of roll to be found there, either, I'm afraid.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

I saw The Pixies in 2009. They were...fine. Crowd was definitely more into it than they were. Kim Deal was still in the band too, which helped. I heard stories of a rip roaring set they played in 04 at my college that I foolishly missed, but again it might have been just the fans going apeshit to live Pixies.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

matedog wrote:
28 Aug 2020, 4:32pm
I saw The Pixies in 2009. They were...fine. Crowd was definitely more into it than they were. Kim Deal was still in the band too, which helped. I heard stories of a rip roaring set they played in 04 at my college that I foolishly missed, but again it might have been just the fans going apeshit to live Pixies.
Here's my write up here back in 2009: BTW, I saw them play Doolittle last night and my initial thought was "I thought this was a Doolittle show, not a GH show" until I realized it had a lot of hits. Still the crowd was way more into it than the band and Frank Black is a fat bald ass who was a dick to my old manager after watching Requiem for a Dream.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

"The crowd was way more into it than the band."

I can definitely relate to that comment. Saw the Pixies once around mid noughties and, while i like a few of their tunes, i just remember how passionless and uninspired they looked on stage, like it was a bit of a chore. Kings of Leon came on after them and multiply it by 5 for them. I met a friend for a drink after the gig and she was buzzing, best live show ever she said. Go figure.

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

I did come close to experiencing the Pixies, via their offshoot, The Breeders. That happened in January 1990, at the Marquee, where they were paired with Jah Wobble, of all people. They got a mixed response, though largely I'd say because most of the crowd weren't really there to see them. I thought it was a notch more interesting, but still, it didn't make me wanna hear more. The highlight of that evening, for me, was talking for a few minutes afterwards with Justin Adams, who went on to play with Rachid Tacha and Robert Plant. Anyway, that's as close as I've gotten to the Pixieworld, as it were.

KCportland
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by KCportland »

The boys playing borrowed instruments in Vienna. Joe has a strat with a p90 in the bridge (I think). Mick playing an unbound Les Paul studio instead of his Standard or Customs. Interspersed with the classic clip of Bernie being asleep at an interview.
https://youtu.be/WQhTEqporHs

I assume the gear was stuck in transit, although Mick still has his Roland Space Echo and Mesa Boogie.

A rather sluggish SGM. Best SGM I've heard them do has to be Bronco Bowl 82, which is also my favorite Terry show.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I'm never good at picking up on these things, but The Wall's Growing Up has a little guitar riff that sure sounds an awful lot like Career Opportunities:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 1:47pm
I'm never good at picking up on these things, but The Wall's Growing Up has a little guitar riff that sure sounds an awful lot like Career Opportunities:
Yep very similar for sure.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Is this Strummer inventing the moonwalk at 50 seconds? He is possessed at this gig, I forgot how great it was. There's some rarely seen footage at the end as well, outtakes of Joe recording All the Young Punks from the Rude Boy Extras.

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
25 Sep 2020, 8:16pm
Is this Strummer inventing the moonwalk at 50 seconds? He is possessed at this gig, I forgot how great it was. There's some rarely seen footage at the end as well, outtakes of Joe recording All the Young Punks from the Rude Boy Extras.

Yep Joe's electric leg going into overdrive and he is wired to fuck.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Heston wrote:
25 Sep 2020, 8:16pm

Some of my favourite Clash footage. Love when he kicks the frontage from the drum riser.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/