The Clash observations thread.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 35282
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 6:17pm
Solid Hoyston on distaste for Junkie Slip. I don't know if it's my least favorite, but it's down there.

Sandinista is a weird beast in that there are maybe five songs that I rank as the best on the album and I don't see them quite as transcendent as the best parts of London Calling which has maybe two or three upper echelon songs.
I know what you're saying but I think S! has to be taken as a full album/experience. The tracks prop each other up to make the whole greater than the sum of the parts. Taken in isolation, no songs on S! will ever compare to the Big 4 on London Calling.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 35282
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 6:31pm
Heston wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 12:24pm
I'll have a go. Best to worst...
Glad to see Let's Go Crazy way up there. Severely underrated, but I have a soca jones so that's just me.
I was tempted to put it second as it should always come in a pair with Corner Soul. The two sides of the Notting Hill Carnival coin.
Last edited by Heston on 15 Dec 2020, 6:42pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 48583
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 6:36pm
matedog wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 6:17pm
Solid Hoyston on distaste for Junkie Slip. I don't know if it's my least favorite, but it's down there.

Sandinista is a weird beast in that there are maybe five songs that I rank as the best on the album and I don't see them quite as transcendent as the best parts of London Calling which has maybe two or three upper echelon songs.
I know what you're saying but I think S! has to be taken as a full album/experience. The tracks prop each other up to make the whole greater than the sum of the parts. Taken in isolation, no songs on S! will ever compare to the Big 4 on London Calling.
So what you're actually saying is LC would've been better as an EP. :lol:
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 29877
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 6:34pm
Do we have any knowledge of what the band thought of the ska revival? We know the Specials connection obviously, but I'm wondering if there's any interview stuff where they talk about maybe the Selecter or the Beat, or anybody else.
Fuck that, I wanna know what Joe and Mick thought of Gals Panic.
YOU MADE ONE MISTAKE, LENNON, YOU DOUBLE CROSSED MIKE LOVE AND LEFT HIM ALIVE

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 35282
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 6:39pm
Heston wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 6:36pm
matedog wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 6:17pm
Solid Hoyston on distaste for Junkie Slip. I don't know if it's my least favorite, but it's down there.

Sandinista is a weird beast in that there are maybe five songs that I rank as the best on the album and I don't see them quite as transcendent as the best parts of London Calling which has maybe two or three upper echelon songs.
I know what you're saying but I think S! has to be taken as a full album/experience. The tracks prop each other up to make the whole greater than the sum of the parts. Taken in isolation, no songs on S! will ever compare to the Big 4 on London Calling.
So what you're actually saying is LC would've been better as an EP. :lol:
This would have been the only EP to better the COL EP...

London Calling
Rudie Can't Fail
Spanish Bombs
Clampdown
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 48583
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 6:42pm
Marky Dread wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 6:39pm
Heston wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 6:36pm
matedog wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 6:17pm
Solid Hoyston on distaste for Junkie Slip. I don't know if it's my least favorite, but it's down there.

Sandinista is a weird beast in that there are maybe five songs that I rank as the best on the album and I don't see them quite as transcendent as the best parts of London Calling which has maybe two or three upper echelon songs.
I know what you're saying but I think S! has to be taken as a full album/experience. The tracks prop each other up to make the whole greater than the sum of the parts. Taken in isolation, no songs on S! will ever compare to the Big 4 on London Calling.
So what you're actually saying is LC would've been better as an EP. :lol:
This would have been the only EP to better the COL EP...

London Calling
Rudie Can't Fail
Spanish Bombs
Clampdown
Just needs an advert reprise of LC and you're good to go. ;)
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 48583
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 6:40pm
Kory wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 6:34pm
Do we have any knowledge of what the band thought of the ska revival? We know the Specials connection obviously, but I'm wondering if there's any interview stuff where they talk about maybe the Selecter or the Beat, or anybody else.
Fuck that, I wanna know what Joe and Mick thought of Gals Panic.
Sega Saturn Dub is an unreleased S! track.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 35282
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 3:48pm
Junkie Slip is underrated.
It's under everything.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 48583
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 6:45pm
BitterTom wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 3:48pm
Junkie Slip is underrated.
It's under everything.
It's well underplayed in my house. ;)
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 22511
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 6:36pm
matedog wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 6:17pm
Solid Hoyston on distaste for Junkie Slip. I don't know if it's my least favorite, but it's down there.

Sandinista is a weird beast in that there are maybe five songs that I rank as the best on the album and I don't see them quite as transcendent as the best parts of London Calling which has maybe two or three upper echelon songs.
I know what you're saying but I think S! has to be taken as a full album/experience. The tracks prop each other up to make the whole greater than the sum of the parts. Taken in isolation, no songs on S! will ever compare to the Big 4 on London Calling.
For sure, I definitely agree.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12929
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 6:40pm
Kory wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 6:34pm
Do we have any knowledge of what the band thought of the ska revival? We know the Specials connection obviously, but I'm wondering if there's any interview stuff where they talk about maybe the Selecter or the Beat, or anybody else.
Fuck that, I wanna know what Joe and Mick thought of Gals Panic.
I think we could guess...
WWK: I feel confident we haven't heard the last from Dr. Harvey Camel.

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 29877
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 7:35pm
I think we could guess...
They love it
YOU MADE ONE MISTAKE, LENNON, YOU DOUBLE CROSSED MIKE LOVE AND LEFT HIM ALIVE

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Olaf
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5650
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:23pm
Location: Germanien

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by Olaf »

oliver wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 4:04pm
BitterTom wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 3:48pm
Junkie Slip is underrated.
I like it... I'm amazed anything is rated lower than Mensforth Hill
Agreed about MH. I mean, calling it a "song" is already stretching it a bit.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 48583
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by Marky Dread »

Olaf wrote:
16 Dec 2020, 4:43am
oliver wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 4:04pm
BitterTom wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 3:48pm
Junkie Slip is underrated.
I like it... I'm amazed anything is rated lower than Mensforth Hill
Agreed about MH. I mean, calling it a "song" is already stretching it a bit.
It was their "Tomorrow Never Knows". ;)
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 35282
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by Heston »

Olaf wrote:
16 Dec 2020, 4:43am
oliver wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 4:04pm
BitterTom wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 3:48pm
Junkie Slip is underrated.
I like it... I'm amazed anything is rated lower than Mensforth Hill
Agreed about MH. I mean, calling it a "song" is already stretching it a bit.
It doesn't physically irritate me like Junkie Slip.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Post Reply