Favourite little moments in Clash songs

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Re: Favourite little moments in Clash songs

Post by JennyB »

Silent Majority wrote:The nerd in me is delighted that the word ´dalek´is in a Clash song.
Totally.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Silent Majority wrote:The nerd in me is delighted that the word ´dalek´is in a Clash song.
I had forgotten that. Just searched for the lyrics and had forgotten how good they are.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:I always thought Remote Control from the Vanilla Tapes was overrated. Sloppy and badly mixed. The Terry version is fine.
..is great. Shame folks thought the band didn't like it after CBS released it.
Yeah. Nothing wrong with it as a song.
It's actually in my top 10, close to top five.
Same here JB.
I think every Clash song is in my top 10 and close to top 5 :mrgreen: Always liked Remote Control and I think hearing the vanilla version with the different sound to the single gave it a fresh take.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Marky Dread wrote: ..is great. Shame folks thought the band didn't like it after CBS released it.
Yeah. Nothing wrong with it as a song.
Same here JB.
I think every Clash song is in my top 10 and close to top 5 :mrgreen: Always liked Remote Control and I think hearing the vanilla version with the different sound to the single gave it a fresh take.
Yeah, but if you'd heard them both at the same time there'd be no competition. The Vanilla version has inaudible lyrics and is missing Mick's wonderful guitar solo from the original. I've just listened again and that's some fantastic lead by Mr Jones.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Wolter wrote: Yeah. Nothing wrong with it as a song.
Same here JB.
Yeah, but if you'd heard them both at the same time there'd be no competition. The Vanilla version has inaudible lyrics and is missing Mick's wonderful guitar solo from the original. I've just listened again and that's some fantastic lead by Mr Jones.
The lead in the original is pretty savage. Especially what he's doing when around the word "dalek" gets mentioned.

Heston

Post by Heston »

That sax solo in The Right Profile just rips, then it all comes crashing down before the chorus re-enters. Bloody love it.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

I love the sax in the sax version of Pressure Drop when it imitates the "Oh yeaah!" near the end.

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Heston wrote:That sax solo in The Right Profile just rips, then it all comes crashing down before the chorus re-enters. Bloody love it.
Couldn't agree more. I feel like what I've been enjoying so much has all collapsed, and then, out of the bedlam, they carry on and give it more!

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

dave202 wrote:
Heston wrote:That sax solo in The Right Profile just rips, then it all comes crashing down before the chorus re-enters. Bloody love it.
Couldn't agree more. I feel like what I've been enjoying so much has all collapsed, and then, out of the bedlam, they carry on and give it more!
Always forget about Right Profile's greatness. True gem, that one, even the title is cool. I think it was eumaas who said he didn't like it. He's probably not hearing it loud enough...

Heston

Post by Heston »

Chuck Mangione wrote:
dave202 wrote:
Always forget about Right Profile's greatness. True gem, that one, even the title is cool. I think it was eumaas who said he didn't like it. He's probably not hearing it loud enough...
Yeah, I remember a big disagreement about The Right Profile a few years back. I love it myself. Joe's singing is so ragged, yet full of personality and emotion. The drumming is also wonderful.

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Heston wrote:
Chuck Mangione wrote:
dave202 wrote:
Yeah, I remember a big disagreement about The Right Profile a few years back. I love it myself. Joe's singing is so ragged, yet full of personality and emotion. The drumming is also wonderful.
Is that Guy Stevens' input then - getting the most out of Topper and 'feeling' the right thing from Joe? I've always thought a second attempt wouldn't capture the moment, and maybe they were frightened he'd go mental?

Heston

Post by Heston »

dave202 wrote:
Heston wrote:
Chuck Mangione wrote:
dave202 wrote:
Is that Guy Stevens' input then - getting the most out of Topper and 'feeling' the right thing from Joe? I've always thought a second attempt wouldn't capture the moment, and maybe they were frightened he'd go mental?
Definitely the latter. I think Topper would have played that well no matter what, but I think Joe needed the coaching judging by the evidence available.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
Chuck Mangione wrote:
dave202 wrote:
Eumaas took exception to your assertion that the song "swings."
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
Chuck Mangione wrote:
dave202 wrote:
Any linkage? I miss eumaas's precise, pedantic style.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
Chuck Mangione wrote:
dave202 wrote: Couldn't agree more. I feel like what I've been enjoying so much has all collapsed, and then, out of the bedlam, they carry on and give it more!
Any linkage? I miss eumaas's precise, pedantic style.
http://clashcity.com/boards/viewtopic.p ... ng#p168630
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.