Favourite little moments in Clash songs

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Favourite little moments in Clash songs

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:Eumaas took exception to your assertion that the song "swings."
Any linkage? I miss eumaas's precise, pedantic style.
http://clashcity.com/boards/viewtopic.p ... ng#p168630
Retroactively, I agree with young master Hoy about the growth of the verb swing.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
Chuck Mangione wrote: Always forget about Right Profile's greatness. True gem, that one, even the title is cool. I think it was eumaas who said he didn't like it. He's probably not hearing it loud enough...
Yeah, I remember a big disagreement about The Right Profile a few years back. I love it myself. Joe's singing is so ragged, yet full of personality and emotion. The drumming is also wonderful.
Eumaas took exception to your assertion that the song "swings."
Any linkage? I miss eumaas's precise, pedantic style.
http://clashcity.com/boards/viewtopic.p ... ng#p168630
That's our eumaas
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

http://clashcity.com/boards/viewtopic.p ... ng#p167083

An observation in a thread not titled observations: If not for parodies of CK's "theorizing," the Last Gang thread would be about 28% lighter.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

The bit in Drug Stabbing Time where Joe sings "There's tape recorder on the telephone line and it's ringing from the floor" is fucking great.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

YoungParisians
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by YoungParisians »

"A spliff, a pound, a half a pint of Brown / this is the way we spell Camden Town" with Topper's military fills in the background.
Hello? Go ahead, man. Yeah I'd just like to say, um, lets have some music now, huh? Ok, ok...thank you.

Carpentologist
Dirty Punk

Post by Carpentologist »

Heston wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 7:52pm
The bit in Drug Stabbing Time where Joe sings "There's tape recorder on the telephone line and it's ringing from the floor" is fucking great.
Oh my fucking God, I was dead set about to get on here and mention the bit immediately preceding this, where Joe sings, then Mick repeats the “In the bedroom crying!” line! 😂😂

Carpentologist
Dirty Punk

Post by Carpentologist »

Another bit I love is in the unedited “Ghetto Defendant” when Joe sings “check the heroin pity!”
I wish it had made it on to the Combat Rock version!

KCportland
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by KCportland »

Carpentologist wrote:
07 Mar 2021, 3:07am
Another bit I love is in the unedited “Ghetto Defendant” when Joe sings “check the heroin pity!”
Yes! I also love that little bit of echo Mick splashed on Ginsberg's voice when he says "strung out committee" on the Rat Patrol version of GD.

But my favorite little moment on Rat Patrol is on the unedited Inoculated City when Mick's guitar starts to spiral into that instrumental outro, that key change when the riff drops a full step down gives me chiiiills.

If Mick ever decided to release that edit in full fidelity I could die happy. It's really THE missing link as far as a full Rat Patrol release goes.

Heston

Post by Heston »

KCportland wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 7:49pm
Carpentologist wrote:
Yes! I also love that little bit of echo Mick splashed on Ginsberg's voice when he says "strung out committee" on the Rat Patrol version of GD.

But my favorite little moment on Rat Patrol is on the unedited Inoculated City when Mick's guitar starts to spiral into that instrumental outro, that key change when the riff drops a full step down gives me chiiiills.

If Mick ever decided to release that edit in full fidelity I could die happy. It's really THE missing link as far as a full Rat Patrol release goes.
Totally agree. That outro is magnificent, you're right about the key change, totally unexpected. Then there's the abstract noise behind it. Oh for the full fidelity mix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 9:20pm
KCportland wrote:
Carpentologist wrote:

Totally agree. That outro is magnificent, you're right about the key change, totally unexpected. Then there's the abstract noise behind it. Oh for the full fidelity mix.
I'm not so sure there are master tapes of the Rat Patrol versions. Only cassette recordings and acetates. Maybe Teddy could give far better information. They are obviously better than what is floating around the web.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

YoungParisians wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 11:07am
"A spliff, a pound, a half a pint of Brown / this is the way we spell Camden Town" with Topper's military fills in the background.
Listening to Dillenger just now, and, first time ever, realised that this line is obviously a play on Cocaine In My Brain. Talk about slow.

"… A knife, a fork, a bottle and a cork
That's the way we spell New York"
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 6:34am
Heston wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 9:20pm
KCportland wrote:
Carpentologist wrote:

I'm not so sure there are master tapes of the Rat Patrol versions. Only cassette recordings and acetates. Maybe Teddy could give far better information. They are obviously better than what is floating around the web.
In a similar quality to SISOSIG, Kill Time and Beautiful People would be fine.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Silent Majority wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 11:55am
YoungParisians wrote:
Listening to Dillenger just now, and, first time ever, realised that this line is obviously a play on Cocaine In My Brain. Talk about slow.

Someone pointed this out on these forums years ago, probably before the Great Board Crash, but I wouldn’t have noticed it without that.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
YoungParisians wrote:

They were known as "Riddle Rhymes" that taught kids the names of the 50 states back in the day.

Chicken in the Car, and the Car Can't Go! that's how you spell Chicago.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Marky Dread wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 12:50pm
Silent Majority wrote:
YoungParisians wrote:

They were known as "Riddle Rhymes" that taught kids the names of the 50 states back in the day.

Chicken in the Car, and the Car Can't Go! that's how you spell Chicago.
Devo did this on 'Jocko Homo' or Ohio - what's round on the edge and high in the middle? - O - HI - O.