The Clash

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: The Clash

Post by Flex »

Clash Mark II Demos? The Exploited? Smash Mouth? Why are you making me choose?!?!?
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 9:08am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 9:04am
Marky Dread wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 9:01am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 8:28am
Marky Dread wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 8:08am

That's like side 6 of Sandinista! No one goes there.
And anyone who does deserves their fate.
Side 6 Sandinista! is better than The Exploited and the entire catalog of Smash Mouth combined.
Which isn't to say it's actually *good*, mind you. I'm probably a better baseball player than a dead goose, but still.
A dead goose never makes it passed 3rd base.
To be fair, only rarely do. Better than the dead goose, but, again, still.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Silent Majority wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 9:22am
Sandinista! side 6 is better than Smash Mouth's Walkin' On the Sun, but only by about 75%.
Without Smash Mouth there'd be no Jon Sudano, so there's that.

I didn't specifically pick the Blink 182 cover - it's a link to all his versions
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 9:34am
Clash Mark II Demos? The Exploited? Smash Mouth? Why are you making me choose?!?!?
A little loathing, a little contempt, a little sadism. Perhaps not of equal measure, but they're all in the formula.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 9:34am
There's always an option here. Besides it was those or Starship.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

You's might like this, it's likely somewhat like IMCT in audio form.

a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Silent Majority wrote:
20 Apr 2023, 10:06am

This is, to be clear, me and maj taking a tour from our usual Doctor Who discussion on our podcast to discuss the first Clash record. Looks like James tightened up our intro discussion a bit so we dive right into the album after just a few perfunctory minutes of talk. James also added some audio goodies and such in the 'cast so it's a bit more lively than just the standard "all talk, no spice" podcast format.

Addendum: oh, and spoiler, we both love the album so if you want to hear actual heartfelt appreciation of the clash, this is a good 'un.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
20 Apr 2023, 10:53am
Silent Majority wrote:

This is, to be clear, me and maj taking a tour from our usual Doctor Who discussion on our podcast to discuss the first Clash record. Looks like James tightened up our intro discussion a bit so we dive right into the album after just a few perfunctory minutes of talk. James also added some audio goodies and such in the 'cast so it's a bit more lively than just the standard "all talk, no spice" podcast format.

Addendum: oh, and spoiler, we both love the album so if you want to hear actual heartfelt appreciation of the clash, this is a good 'un.
46 years old this month.

Joe was already writing about stuff that was happening around him prior to The Clash. Rabies (From the Dogs of Love) is a good example. I think Bernie basically got The Clash to approach more meaningful subjects than just rock n roll romance. Rabies is every bit a punk song as Protex Blue.

I enjoyed this podcast. Just got one gripe shame you didn't pick a Feelgood's track that had Wilko on it. Wilko being one of Joe's musical heroes. Milk & Alcohol has Gypie Mayo on guitar after Wilko left the band.

But great fun listen. Cheers fellas.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 Apr 2023, 11:01am
Flex wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

46 years old this month.

Joe was already writing about stuff that was happening around him prior to The Clash. Rabies (From the Dogs of Love) is a good example. I think Bernie basically got The Clash to approach more meaningful subjects than just rock n roll romance. Rabies is every bit a punk song as Protex Blue.

I enjoyed this podcast. Just got one gripe shame you didn't pick a Feelgood's track that had Wilko on it. Wilko being one of Joe's musical heroes. Milk & Alcohol has Gypie Mayo on guitar after Wilko left the band.

Thanks so much, Mark. Really pleased you enjoyed it. Great point on Rabies being a punk song - definitely fitting with the Clash's early material. Fair point on the Dr. Feelgood track; I chose Milk & Alcohol cos we were talking about pub rock, but didn't realise Wilko wasn't on that one.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
20 Apr 2023, 11:30am
Marky Dread wrote:
Flex wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

46 years old this month.

Thanks so much, Mark. Really pleased you enjoyed it. Great point on Rabies being a punk song - definitely fitting with the Clash's early material.
I've remastered the album for a box set version which I'm hoping to upload later in the month.

Some thoughts on the punk ideals of the day. Joe saying he didn't know what separation was so he didn't like it. Hardly likely as he had already recorded a single at Pathway and various sessions with The 101ers.

Police and Thieves a song the band managed to make their own. Was added to the album because the running time was low. But they could've put 1977 and Capital Radio on the album. The NME free single could've just had the interview. With Listen being used as White Riot B-side.

On the version of White Riot from Beaconsfield they remixed for the album take I'm convinced Joe sings/shouts "get the accelerant and don't forget the sunday papers".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Stefano1972
Long Time Jerk

Post by Stefano1972 »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 Apr 2023, 11:55am
Silent Majority wrote:
20 Apr 2023, 11:30am
Marky Dread wrote:
Flex wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

46 years old this month.

Thanks so much, Mark. Really pleased you enjoyed it. Great point on Rabies being a punk song - definitely fitting with the Clash's early material.
I've remastered the album for a box set version which I'm hoping to upload later in the month.

Some thoughts on the punk ideals of the day. Joe saying he didn't know what separation was so he didn't like it. Hardly likely as he had already recorded a single at Pathway and various sessions with The 101ers.

Police and Thieves a song the band managed to make their own. Was added to the album because the running time was low. But they could've put 1977 and Capital Radio on the album. The NME free single could've just had the interview. With Listen being used as White Riot B-side.

On the version of White Riot from Beaconsfield they remixed for the album take I'm convinced Joe sings/shouts "get the accelerant and don't forget the sunday papers".
Wow Marky! I’m very curious to listen this your new remaster about the album i like more

“Where love rules, there is no will to power, and where power predominates, love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other.”
- Carl Gustav Jung