Record Store Day

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
wmhp
Junco Partner

Record Store Day

Post by wmhp »

After reading the comments in the clash box set thread I thought id share my experience of yesterday.

Since I have the pleasure of living in Scotland there was a choice of five stores IN THE WHOLE COUNTRY.
The one closest to me stated that there would be some copies of the Clash single and a lot of interest. Having gotten out of bed at six in the morning I arrived at the shop at 7.10am to find six guys already there.
When asked if it was worth me hanging around until opening time, not many of them were all that willing to discuss what they were there to buy ( fuck knows why, I was behind them in queue)

The owner puts a poster in the window of the stock he has with availability in brackets
The Specials 'Live' 4 Track E/P (1)
MC5/Africa Mambaataa 'Kick Out The Jams' Ltd.7" (1)
Patti Smith 'Hey Joe/Piss Factory' Ltd.7" (1)
Ramones 'Blitzkrieg Bop/Havana Affair' Ltd.7" (1)
Iggy Pop 'I'm Bored/'African Man' 7" (2)
The Clash 'London Calling' 7" (5)
Sex Pistols 'Anarchy in the UK' 7" Picture Disc (2)
P I L 'One Drop' 12" (2)

Before the shop opened there were about 20 people waiting
When we eventually entered the shop I think we were all interested in what was going to be bought by the people in front of us.
1st guy...Misfits lp
2nd guy...clash single...ramones single (GONE)...pistols pic disc...iggy pop...mc5 (GONE)
3rd guy...clash single...pil 12 " ...Pistols pic disc (GONE)
4th guy... clash single...simple minds...specials (GONE)...patti smith (GONE)...iggy pop (GONE)
5th guy...just about everything he could lay his hands on...mainly kinks albums, Pete Townsend 10" etc...and London calling
ME. London calling (GONE)...PIL 12"(GONE)
Man behind me swears out loud and much of the rest of the queue are really frustrated.
If I was 5 minutes later getting out of bed I would have came home empty handed. As it was I was very disappointed in not getting the pistols or Ramones singles.

This has got to be a joke, something’s gone wrong with this whole idea if fans can’t get their hands on these records and opportunist bastards can have them up on eBay within the time it takes me to get home for extremely high prices.
The anarchy pic disc went for around 30 quid all day yesterday.
I did manage to get an anarchy pic disc from a nice guy on another message board but it cost me £20.
RSD organisers have to come up with a better way of ensuring these items reach the people they are made for and not profiteers.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Record Store Day

Post by Heston »

Any reports on the new mix?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

wmhp
Junco Partner

Post by wmhp »

Heston wrote:Any reports on the new mix?
casual listener on the radio wouldnt know the difference. vocals are mixed higher, different start. Did like the instrumental b-side a lot though.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

I queued for hours last year. By the time I got to the front both versions (single and CD) of Mag 7 had gone. After queueing for so long I thought I ought to buy something, so bought the Gorillaz LP. It was the last copy, so I immediately felt guilty for buying it when someone behind me probably wanted it more than me.

I couldn't queue this year because I've injured my back and can't stand up at the moment for more than a few minutes, but I probably wouldn't have bothered anyway, I think I'd rather pay the higher price on eBay. I realise this kind of defeats the object of the day, but last year was very frustrating.

Noise Inspector
Junco Partner

Post by Noise Inspector »

I gave up the idea of getting to the store early, went out mid afternoon.

Managed to snag some non-RSD releases for cheap, and got the last copy of the remastered Raw Power 2LP. Listened to both mixes yesterday back-to-back and neither has sounded as good before.

I think they've gotta start releasing these things in higher numbers. I know that makes them less collectable, lower value, blah blah blah, but it's frustrating that so many of them end up on ebay before many have a chance to buy them in store.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

wmhp wrote:
casual listener on the radio wouldnt know the difference. vocals are mixed higher, different start. Did like the instrumental b-side a lot though.
Agreed. The one other thing I noticed was the wolf howls seemed to be extended. That's about it, though. Still, a nifty keepsake.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

JennyB wrote:
wmhp wrote:
Agreed. The one other thing I noticed was the wolf howls seemed to be extended. That's about it, though. Still, a nifty keepsake.
I thought the low end of the mix was a bit beefier too, but it may have been the sound system I was playing the single on.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Noise Inspector
Junco Partner

Post by Noise Inspector »

Joe's guitar seems to be louder in the mix

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Joe's guitar and Mick's occasional doubling of it both. Guitars in general louder and bass too, drums perhaps a bit less prominent (maybe just the snare and high hat less up front) and a bit beefier.

modskin
Unknown Immortal

Post by modskin »

I think this is the coolest record of RSD 2012..

Jack White - "Sixteen Saltines" 12" single on Third Man Records.

Clear vinyl with psychedelic blue liquid-filled center. Also, one side has an etched graphic in the vinyl that is actually playable.

They were sold only at the Third Man store in Nashville.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Elitism! What's the point of only having limited runs to just make collectors items. In a years time I guarantee that LC single will have been bootleged. So now only the greedy bootleggers make money. The Clash have a massive fan base world wide so these limited runs are not enough to reach those who are interested.

If there were more pressings it would stop those in record stores who have instant access to these things from mugging others who are forced to find them on ebay just to complete their collections.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Marky Dread wrote:Elitism! What's the point of only having limited runs to just make collectors items. In a years time I guarantee that LC single will have been bootleged. So now only the greedy bootleggers make money. The Clash have a massive fan base world wide so these limited runs are not enough to reach those who are interested.

If there were more pressings it would stop those in record stores who have instant access to these things from mugging others who are forced to find them on ebay just to complete their collections.
Agreed. But I do love that Jack White pressing, that totally appeals to me.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:Elitism! What's the point of only having limited runs to just make collectors items. In a years time I guarantee that LC single will have been bootleged. So now only the greedy bootleggers make money. The Clash have a massive fan base world wide so these limited runs are not enough to reach those who are interested.

Yeah just hope it don't leak. ;)

Nothing wrong with fancy pressings and I'm all for keeping vinyl alive. But at what cost? some of these 180 gram pressings are silly money.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

To be fair, vinyl is mostly a niche medium now, for collectors and audiophiles. Not releasing the single as a digital download at some point seems unlikely—not doing so would be a dick move.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

Yeah just hope it don't leak. ;)
"My Decemberists special edition 12" is ruined! Looks like it's been in an advert for Tampons!"
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/