In England...

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!

???

The Clash
71%
The Jam
29%

Total votes: 41

threecoffins
Sasquatch Determinator

Re: In England...

Post by threecoffins »

Anyone British I know rolls their eyes when I mention the Clash. Then I go to the Salvation Army, pay 5 cents for a Style Council LP and duct tape the offender's ear to a speaker and play that sucker 'til the grooves wear out!

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Wolter wrote:
daredevil wrote:The Jam always sounded like a band from England. Thoughout their career the albums they releasedhad a little punk, then nods to the Who, Beatles and ended sounding like the music Paul Weller loved:
American RnB and Motown. No wonder England loved them.
The irony of this is, despite my numerous instances of verbal sparring with the occasional limey on here, I've been considered an Anglophile by a lot of my friends over the years for liking so many bands that sound "English," like the Jam, mid-period XTC, Ian Dury, the Kinks, etc.
Same here. In the early to mid 90's I was always promoting The Clash, XTC and the Jam to local friends who were Pixies, Replacements ect. fans.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

threecoffins wrote:Anyone British I know rolls their eyes when I mention the Clash. Then I go to the Salvation Army, pay 5 cents for a Style Council LP and duct tape the offender's ear to a speaker and play that sucker 'til the grooves wear out!
Tangentially, I listened to The Singular Adventures of the Style Council on the weekend—first time in years—and, y'know, it was pretty okay.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
threecoffins wrote:Anyone British I know rolls their eyes when I mention the Clash. Then I go to the Salvation Army, pay 5 cents for a Style Council LP and duct tape the offender's ear to a speaker and play that sucker 'til the grooves wear out!
Tangentially, I listened to The Singular Adventures of the Style Council on the weekend—first time in years—and, y'know, it was pretty okay.
Some decent stuff on there. Walls Come Tumbling Down is a solid song.

TommyGunn
Sightsee MC

Post by TommyGunn »

Wolter wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Wolter wrote:
TommyGunn wrote:In Detroit The Clash wins this one..............................just in case you care
That's because Detroit has a tradition of liking ballsy music. I'm not 100% certain, but I think from 1960-1980 no U.S. city could claim to have so many badassed musicians and so few musical embarassments. Even a wankbag like the Nuge at least had balls.
And then....came these guys...

You know what, I'm not a fan of any of them in any sense, but they all make ballsy music in their own kinds of ways. So if you're going on just that criterion, my statement still stands.
You forgot the White Stripes, Dirtbags and Von Blondies for recent D town rockers

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Well, politics aside, Seger had some decent rock stuff, like "Ramblin Gamblin Man" and a few others, and he should never have his photo placed between those two talentless wiggers, that's just wrong. Unfair comparison.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

eumaas wrote:Kid Rock walked by me once. That dude is fucking small.
If he had walked pass me i would've given him a slap for being a knob head.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Parochial? little Englanders? The Jam?

From Ladroke Grove to Kingston Town - The Clash?

It's not important who is loved more just love them both for being great.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Traditionally the Jam, lately the Clash. The Clash's decision not to play Top of the Pops forever damaged their recognisability factor to the common man in the street.
Saying that, as their music gets played on more adverts, movies etc., they seem to be getting a lot of positive reappraisal. Ironic, eh?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

deny
Long Time Jerk

Post by deny »

Heston wrote:Traditionally the Jam, lately the Clash. The Clash's decision not to play Top of the Pops forever damaged their recognisability factor to the common man in the street.
Saying that, as their music gets played on more adverts, movies etc., they seem to be getting a lot of positive reappraisal. Ironic, eh?
I agree with Heston although I would say that I think the Clash were alot more popular at first ( they were then hated by the UK Music Press for going to America) and then the Jam became a lot more popular in the UK. By not playing Top of the Pops the Clash had very limited air play on the daytime BBC radio stations and they were almost an underground band in some respects.

Now the Clash' status seems to keep on growing as more people find them or acknowledge their influences

regards

deny
Joining the Street Parade

Guess Guest

Post by Guess Guest »

I agree with Heston thats how i remember it

Didnt the Jam also come under critism when they split and released all there singles again, and were found out to be buying them up themselves to get them all into the UK top 20

I also remember being at school trying to convince my friends to listen to the clash and no one listened then feeling pretty good when a few years later they all admitted they should have been clash fans.

Back then you couldnt admit to liking both due to the conflicting messages both bands were giving.

nsc
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by nsc »

fashionwise no-one designed shit for weller but the clash did wear suits. :cool:

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

The Clash never came close to the commercial success The Jam achieved in the UK. Around 1981 - 1983 The Jam had no peers and were the biggest band in the UK with singles going straight to number 1 on pre orders alone.
Forget the music press, everyone knew The Jam and everyone had a Jam song that they loved. The Clash on the other hand were always lumped together with the Pistols as 'the punk' bands until their mini revival in 1982 with radio friendly Casbah and SISOSIG.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:The Clash never came close to the commercial success The Jam achieved in the UK. Around 1981 - 1983 The Jam had no peers and were the biggest band in the UK with singles going straight to number 1 on pre orders alone.
Forget the music press, everyone knew The Jam and everyone had a Jam song that they loved. The Clash on the other hand were always lumped together with the Pistols as 'the punk' bands until their mini revival in 1982 with radio friendly Casbah and SISOSIG.
All true, but who commands the most respect these days?

Music Press-wise I'd definitely say the Clash, and the British public seem to be slowly coming around to their retrospective point of view. That's if all these recent "Best Album" polls are anything to go by.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

nsc
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by nsc »

in the present - would mick jones rather be paul weller or would paul weller rather be mick jones?

mick should still be the best thing since slice bread but he's still the best thing since sliced coke ( i paraphrase mr j green ) your breakfast
is served!.