In England...

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!

???

The Clash
71%
The Jam
29%

Total votes: 41

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: In England...

Post by Heston »

nsc wrote:in the present - would mick jones rather be paul weller or would paul weller rather be mick jones?

mick should still be the best thing since slice bread but he's still the best thing since sliced coke ( i paraphrase mr j green ) your breakfast
is served!.
I'd say they're probably both quite happy with their lot.
Mick's hair is better.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:The Clash never came close to the commercial success The Jam achieved in the UK. Around 1981 - 1983 The Jam had no peers and were the biggest band in the UK with singles going straight to number 1 on pre orders alone.
Forget the music press, everyone knew The Jam and everyone had a Jam song that they loved. The Clash on the other hand were always lumped together with the Pistols as 'the punk' bands until their mini revival in 1982 with radio friendly Casbah and SISOSIG.
All true, but who commands the most respect these days?

Music Press-wise I'd definitely say the Clash, and the British public seem to be slowly coming around to their retrospective point of view. That's if all these recent "Best Album" polls are anything to go by.
The Clash are probably bigger now than they ever were its alll part of the nostalgia revolution. How many bands from 70's and 80's now release CD's to their old fans who have the money to lap up their long lost past and pay big bucks to watch them from the corporate box of a large stadium.

nsc
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by nsc »

101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:The Clash never came close to the commercial success The Jam achieved in the UK. Around 1981 - 1983 The Jam had no peers and were the biggest band in the UK with singles going straight to number 1 on pre orders alone.
Forget the music press, everyone knew The Jam and everyone had a Jam song that they loved. The Clash on the other hand were always lumped together with the Pistols as 'the punk' bands until their mini revival in 1982 with radio friendly Casbah and SISOSIG.
All true, but who commands the most respect these days?

Music Press-wise I'd definitely say the Clash, and the British public seem to be slowly coming around to their retrospective point of view. That's if all these recent "Best Album" polls are anything to go by.
The Clash are probably bigger now than they ever were its alll part of the nostalgia revolution. How many bands from 70's and 80's now release CD's to their old fans who have the money to lap up their long lost past and pay big bucks to watch them from the corporate box of a large stadium.
Dear 101er, can you please pm details? i'm going to spend the kids inheritence!

Now that's what I call Punk 48 and a half.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
daredevil wrote:The Clash sounded like a band that played whatever they wanted to play. And as RP said saw the bigger
picture of a world wide audience.

The Jam always sounded like a band from England. Thoughout their career the albums they released
had a little punk, then nods to the Who, Beatles and ended sounding like the music Paul Weller loved:
American RnB and Motown. No wonder England loved them.
I think a good comparison could be made between Blur and Oasis. With the exception of something like "Song 2," Blur sounded utterly English to the exclusion of all else—like an updated Jam in their own way—whereas Oasis had a less specific sound culturally, and were better suited for wider appeal. Which makes Oasis like the Clash in this comparison, and for that I apologize.
I would say more like comparing The Kinks to The Beatles.

(and before anyone jumps down my throat I am not comparing The Jam to the The Beatles).

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

nsc wrote:fashionwise no-one designed shit for weller but the clash did wear suits. :cool:
Crap total crap Weller wore loads of suits from day one from off the peg gear to tailor mades. I suppose Ben Shermans and Fred Perry's aren't designed. Weller being obsessed with mod had most of his clothes designed.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

nsc wrote:in the present - would mick jones rather be paul weller or would paul weller rather be mick jones?

mick should still be the best thing since slice bread but he's still the best thing since sliced coke ( i paraphrase mr j green ) your breakfast
is served!.
And young Mr. Weller being such a clean boy, I remember PW speeding his tits off at a Sex Pistols all nighter and then there is PW's story of going back to Joe Strummers gaff for late night spliffs. Remember Weller was very much influenced by The Clash and their political stance and he also said Joe was the best front man he'd ever seen.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
nsc wrote:fashionwise no-one designed shit for weller but the clash did wear suits. :cool:
Crap total crap Weller wore loads of suits from day one from off the peg gear to tailor mades. I suppose Ben Shermans and Fred Perry's aren't designed. Weller being obsessed with mod had most of his clothes designed.
In their Burton suits huh they think its funny turning rebellion into money

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
In their Burton suits huh they think its funny turning rebellion into money
Exactly!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

nsc
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by nsc »

you can't compare off the peg: burtons, fred perry etc with designers doing this years clash collection. give me a break has anybody seen Clash 2?
even the hair was the same.

co-ordination - first rule for any gang.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

nsc wrote:you can't compare off the peg: burtons, fred perry etc with designers doing this years clash collection. give me a break has anybody seen Clash 2?
even the hair was the same.

co-ordination - first rule for any gang.
Yep I agree about the Clash II but I can show you a stack of Jam pictures where each member looks like they belong to a different band, The News of The World single with Weller in his carnaby st. mod attire and Rick in a bikers leather jacket just don't work for example.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

KokaKola
Junco Partner

Post by KokaKola »

eumaas wrote:Kid Rock walked by me once. That dude is fucking small.
Seriously, do you have to be 5'4" to be famous?? What IS it with these tiny little people in Hollywood??

...were they just pissed they couldn't ride the big rides when they were little, so they all conspired to take our money via entertainment? Shifty fuckers... :shifty:
...advertising and kokaine.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

KokaKola wrote:
Seriously, do you have to be 5'4" to be famous?? What IS it with these tiny little people in Hollywood??

...were they just pissed they couldn't ride the big rides when they were little, so they all conspired to take our money via entertainment? Shifty fuckers... :shifty:
:mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

KokaKola wrote:

Almost every famous person I've met is 5'4" with a huge head. Except Robert Wagner. He's like 6'4" with a huge head.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:
KokaKola wrote:

Almost every famous person I've met is 5'4" with a huge head. Except Robert Wagner. He's like 6'4" with a huge head.
Kevin Cronin was not particularly tall.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:
KokaKola wrote:

Kevin Cronin was not particularly tall.
She's not really super famous, but I went to college with Alison Munn, who played Fez's girlfriend for part of a season of That 70s Show. She's probably 5 feet tall in heels and she was almost as tall as him on the show.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"