Out of Control Demos

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Out of Control Demos

Post by Marky Dread »

Can anyboby confirm if Vince White plays on these demos? I have read when they recorded Galleani and National Powder that Vince had yet to join the band but is that true for all the demos? If so they had amassed a lot of new songs before he joined. In vinces book he mentions going to Strummers house for Xmas '83 so I assume he joined just after the demos were recorded at Luck 7 in November ?

I have cleaned up the sound on the demos a little more and am making some artwork I have a picture of the 5 man clash line up on the front which looks great. But if Vince is not on the recordings I will keep the front cover but make an amendment to the cover info.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Out of Control Demos

Post by Heston »

I can't hear any quiet weeping in the background, so probably not.

In all seriousness though, I don't think he's on there. The timeline wouldn't support him learning all those tunes in such a short period of time.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:I can't hear any quiet weeping in the background, so probably not.

In all seriousness though, I don't think he's on there. The timeline wouldn't support him learning all those tunes in such a short period of time.
Wikipedia has him listed as joining in September the same time as Nick but that has to be wrong. I will put an amendment on the artwork stating Vince is not in the band at the time of recording.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:

Wikipedia has him listed as joining in September the same time as Nick but that has to be wrong. I will put an amendment on the artwork stating Vince is not in the band at the time of recording.
Definitely wrong. Mick's sacking was announced early September, and Vince went through a long-winded audition process before joining the band. Saying that, it might be possible he played on them, but he doesn't seem the type of disciplined guitarist who would have the stuff learned in such a short period. Also, he makes no mention of the sessions in his book, which would surely be something deemed worthy of comment in a book so short on real musical substance and insight.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Definitely wrong. Mick's sacking was announced early September, and Vince went through a long-winded audition process before joining the band. Saying that, it might be possible he played on them, but he doesn't seem the type of disciplined guitarist who would have the stuff learned in such a short period. Also, he makes no mention of the sessions in his book, which would surely be something deemed worthy of comment in a book so short on real musical substance and insight.
Yeah that was my take on things also, cheers for the help mate appreciated.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

I'm pretty sure someone on here will know for sure though, IMCT has always been a Clash II board. ;)

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

I don't think Vince played on the 83 demos either. I'm pretty sure when the tracks surfaced here a few years ago, the lineup was said to be Joe, Paul, Nick and Pete.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:I'm pretty sure someone on here will know for sure though, IMCT has always been a Clash II board. ;)
Just adding it all to a rar file and will shortly upload my efforts, watch this space. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

daredevil wrote:I don't think Vince played on the 83 demos either. I'm pretty sure when the tracks surfaced here a few years ago, the lineup was said to be Joe, Paul, Nick and Pete.
Yeah I read all the old stuff on the demos. It just made me wonder if all 14 tracks come from the same sessions without Vince.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

The question we should be asking is why the hell did Joe give up playing guitar?

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

I know, Joe's guitar playing on National Powder is fantastic.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Another thought: The whole point of the recordings may have been as a guide for Vince to learn the songs. Sometimes it's best for a guitarist to have a recording to study, rather than learn the songs amidst the racket of a rehearsal room. And I could be wrong here, but weren't the tapes leaked by Vince via CK?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:Another thought: The whole point of the recordings may have been as a guide for Vince to learn the songs. Sometimes it's best for a guitarist to have a recording to study, rather than learn the songs amidst the racket of a rehearsal room. And I could be wrong here, but weren't the tapes leaked by Vince via CK?
That would make a lot of sense.

I have no knowledge who leaked them, when I joined the board I think the tracks were just being assembled together as I remember loads of different artwork for pretty much each track.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:Another thought: The whole point of the recordings may have been as a guide for Vince to learn the songs. Sometimes it's best for a guitarist to have a recording to study, rather than learn the songs amidst the racket of a rehearsal room. And I could be wrong here, but weren't the tapes leaked by Vince via CK?
I thought Nick leaked them ala GEED.

My understanding is no Vince.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
I thought Nick leaked them ala GEED.

My understanding is no Vince.
Oh well, like I said I wasn't sure. I assumed CK had obtained them from Vince, as someone had mentioned they were in correspondence at the time he was writing his book.