Terry on STH

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
shag

Re: Terry on STH

Post by shag »

top's drumming on STH on CR is heavily overdubbed with multiple parts going all at once. it's much more than just a "beat".
terry's live is his approximation of topper's groove. He does pretty well methinks.

btw, didn't they only play this live with topper once? all you collectors prob. know better than me...

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

shag wrote:top's drumming on STH on CR is heavily overdubbed with multiple parts going all at once. it's much more than just a "beat".
terry's live is his approximation of topper's groove. He does pretty well methinks.

btw, didn't they only play this live with topper once? all you collectors prob. know better than me...
Supposedly at Lochem. Given the show, it's probably one of those "listen once" sorts of affairs.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Topper should've played that R. Whites Lemonade bottle live.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:Topper should've played that R. Whites Lemonade bottle live.
Nah he was a secret lemonade drinker....

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:Topper should've played that R. Whites Lemonade bottle live.
Nah he was a secret lemonade drinker....
If only.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

shag wrote:top's drumming on STH on CR is heavily overdubbed with multiple parts going all at once. it's much more than just a "beat".

No yet-circulating source because the soundboard cuts after the main set, but it was confirmed played in the encore at Lochem. BMC has a new audience tape with more encore songs...it was apparently a fullish typical Clash setlist and not a Festival-truncated set like the 15 tracks on the circulating soundboard. Armagideon and London's Burning were two of the newly surfaced encore songs we haven't heard yet. No idea if this source has STH...apparently there are tape cuts on it so there's risk the whole thing wasn't captured.

Casbah and Car Jamming are the only live CR songs that we know for a fact were only first live-arranged in rehearsals with Terry, never with Topper. Because of Joe's disappearance they had no time to do any rehearsals on the Glyn Johns album mixes or update any live arrangements from the pre-album tours (which is why Know Your Rights still has its '81 and Asian tour drum intro a month after the final single's release).

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

Rat Patrol wrote:(which is why Know Your Rights still has its '81 and Asian tour drum intro a month after the final single's release).
Is that the same drum intro Topper does in the Lochem show? If so, I always just thought he messed up and started to play Guns Of Brixton again. Never heard any other version with Topper, so I wouldn't know.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Jimmy Jazz wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:(which is why Know Your Rights still has its '81 and Asian tour drum intro a month after the final single's release).
Is that the same drum intro Topper does in the Lochem show? If so, I always just thought he messed up and started to play Guns Of Brixton again. Never heard any other version with Topper, so I wouldn't know.
Hey snap I thought he messed also.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Jimmy Jazz wrote:
It's the KYR intro. It sounded different almost every night because they did so much tinkering with the song throughout Fall '81 and when it was played on the Asian tour (most nights with the intro, but sometimes without). Lochem was definitely another stab at the intro from the pre-existing live arrangement. Some nights sounded more like GoB than others. Lochem might've had an absent-minded intro, but I doubt Topper forgot the song. It was Joe who was so rusty he couldn't fucking remember the setlist.

Listen to Shibuya Kohkaido. It's *THUMP...THU-THUMP...THU-THUMP..THU-THUMP-THUMP* a couple times before the guitar riff kicks in during the beat.

corpulent body

Post by corpulent body »

101Walterton wrote: Nah he was a secret lemonade drinker....

No, that was Elvis Costello's dad

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

corpulent body wrote:
101Walterton wrote: Nah he was a secret lemonade drinker....

No, that was Elvis Costello's dad
You R avin' me on.
Last edited by Marky Dread on 08 Sep 2008, 9:30pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

corpulent body

Post by corpulent body »

The adverts featured the actor Royce Mills, dubbed with the voice of Ross MacManus (father of Elvis Costello). MacManus wrote the song, with his son providing the backing vocals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._White's_Lemonade

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

corpulent body wrote:The adverts featured the actor Royce Mills, dubbed with the voice of Ross MacManus (father of Elvis Costello). MacManus wrote the song, with his son providing the backing vocals.

The only reason why I'm skeptical about that story is that they recorded it in NYC. They don't have this R White's fella available here do they?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

mikentosh
Corner Soul

Post by mikentosh »

matedog wrote:
Inder wrote:I think FHTE was the first time I actually listened listened to the song, so I've always assumed for some reason that's the "right" way.

Terry might've dumbed down some things (Armathumpthumpthump Time), but I think this was a bit more considered. Also, it sounds fucking splendid.
Yeah, I was well versed in the album version before FHTE so my initial reaction to Terry's beat was "What the fuck is this shit?" It took me a good while to get over it and fall in love with that version. The beat itself isn't bad in context, I'm just having a hard time because it really is a dumbed down version of a really really good beat.

Well played (1:20, excuse the ubiquitous goofy Pete grimace)
[youtube][/youtube]
I saw that show and Pete Howard was Great! Drums Loud and Tight!...Thumped your chest and Snapped your brain!
-Mike
"...you don't have a beer in your hand, you might as well be wearing a dress..."

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
corpulent body wrote:The adverts featured the actor Royce Mills, dubbed with the voice of Ross MacManus (father of Elvis Costello). MacManus wrote the song, with his son providing the backing vocals.

The only reason why I'm skeptical about that story is that they recorded it in NYC. They don't have this R White's fella available here do they?
I've been trying to give it up but it's one of those nights.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia