New Year's Clash

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: New Year's Clash

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

Rat Patrol wrote:
Chuck wrote:I hope this is good.
It's a never-before seen video release of. . .

The Clash's triumphant performance of Should I Stay or Should I Go and Career Opportunities at Shea Stadium!!!!8! :whoa:

Now with select-a-shot mode featuring all-Terry camera angles.
I heard they made the pitch of the audio even higher!

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

I just ask, if there is stuff in someone's possession, live shows, studio stuff, why isn't it available? Its been what, 30 years since they broke up? Why the hell isn't everything already produced? Makes no sense to me. Considering the amount of re-issuing the same material they have done to this band, the fact that they would even have anything decent in a vault somewhere still not produced for release is just mind-boggling to me.

Would love to see/hear anything from them that hasn't already been available, obviously.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

weller259 wrote:I just ask, if there is stuff in someone's possession, live shows, studio stuff, why isn't it available? Its been what, 30 years since they broke up? Why the hell isn't everything already produced? Makes no sense to me. Considering the amount of re-issuing the same material they have done to this band, the fact that they would even have anything decent in a vault somewhere still not produced for release is just mind-boggling to me.

Would love to see/hear anything from them that hasn't already been available, obviously.
Agreed.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

The Clash already released all the stuff that other bands would keep on the cutting room floor. You already got your 2 LPs of outtakes on Sandinista and how ever many pisstakes from the CR era. Honestly, you got your bonus LP on London Calling.Those cuts are good but would you really play them to a neophyte over the tracks on the first LP? A David Bowie or Led Zeppelin or a Who would make a single LP of those cuts. They aren't comfortable with the live material they have with Topper because they didn't play as well when they knew they were being recorded and they don't want any more Terry stuff out there because it hurts Topper's feelings.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

The Jam and XTC are currently emptying out the barrel, probably many other bands too. I'd like to see something similar from the Clash, a deluxe version of every album, rounding up singles, b-sides, demos, rehearsal tapes etc. Maybe a DVD in some cases.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Heston wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:The Clash already released all the stuff that other bands would keep on the cutting room floor.
Well the Jam and XTC are currently emptying out the barrel, probably many other bands too. I'd like to see something similar from the Clash, a deluxe version of every album, rounding up singles, b-sides, demos, rehearsal tapes etc. Maybe a DVD in some cases.
Heston Mangione.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:The Jam and XTC are currently emptying out the barrel, probably many other bands too. I'd like to see something similar from the Clash, a deluxe version of every album, rounding up singles, b-sides, demos, rehearsal tapes etc. Maybe a DVD in some cases.
Isn't that basically the boombox?

I just want fucking Lewisham. Great pro recording with Topper.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:The Jam and XTC are currently emptying out the barrel, probably many other bands too. I'd like to see something similar from the Clash, a deluxe version of every album, rounding up singles, b-sides, demos, rehearsal tapes etc. Maybe a DVD in some cases.

Do they have the entire set recorded? Forgive me for not keeping up, but I was under the impression only certain tracks were done.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Yeah, the Boombox (and Marky's own reissue series) pretty much satisfies my itch in reissues of the mainline product. A few exceptions:

1. A live release series, and as matedog mentions, particularly Lewisham.
2. True full release of Rat Patrol.
3. Remixed Cut the Crap (obviously will never happen, just saying it's on the wish list)

I'm not sure what else there is to put out. I still think #1 makes a lot of sense for a band with the rep of The Clash as a live act. I get and truly appreciate Mick's stance on live releases and appreciation for the bootleg community, but the trend of artists officially releasing previously circulating boots has illustrated how big a difference there can be in the listening experience between amateur recording effort circulating with minimal restoration work and a true professional quality job, even on pretty primitive and degraded recordings (the recent Basement Tapes release comes to mind).

Of course, that's almost just a straight copy/paste of what I've (and other's) have been saying for years.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Sound System is weird. Why no One Emotion and no Heart and Mind?- that punk era extras disk needs more material and is confused with stuff that belongs on the next extras disk. Why no Listen without the dopey interview? Why no extended Inoculated City? Why no BMC dub mixes? Why no rock Cool Confusion or that instro that was used on the Essential menus? Why did no one beat them around the face and neck for releasing the Combat Rock b-sides yet again? Were no Girl Scouts available?

Of course, I gave up expecting this band to make sense a long time ago.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

IkarisOne wrote:
matedog wrote:

Do they have the entire set recorded? Forgive me for not keeping up, but I was under the impression only certain tracks were done.
All speculative, but I believe only TIV and Clampdown were filmed, along with portions of Bankrobber. Certainly some b-roll, but not the whole set. The audio however is far more complete. Of the 27 tracks, we have tracks 4, 30 seconds of track 6 (London Calling), 8, 14, 16, 20, 21 in pro quality. I think it's safe to say they probably recorded the whole concert. There's no reason for them to cherry pick English Civil War and Cap Radio to record while promoting a completely different album. And the labor and materials to do audio recording I would imagine is far cheaper than film.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

matedog wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:
matedog wrote:

All speculative, but I believe only TIV and Clampdown were filmed, along with portions of Bankrobber. Certainly some b-roll, but not the whole set. The audio however is far more complete. Of the 27 tracks, we have tracks 4, 30 seconds of track 6 (London Calling), 8, 14, 16, 20, 21 in pro quality. I think it's safe to say they probably recorded the whole concert. There's no reason for them to cherry pick English Civil War and Cap Radio to record while promoting a completely different album. And the labor and materials to do audio recording I would imagine is far cheaper than film.
Actually, there was a reason to cherry-pick- cost of running a multitrack mobile unit, which is roughly analogous to studio time. I've heard about shows with other bands back in the day that were only partially recorded due to cost. The shows like WNEW and King Biscuit are essentially double track recordings- they didn't do a lot of multitracks (that we know of) until Bonds. I know there was talk that all those shows were recorded but only two nights have had multitracks that have ever surfaced, and then they did a few in 1982 when they were clear of debt. It's possible that the multitracks were done in conjunction with filming.

The only reason I bring it up is that I have a hard time thinking they'd not want to release more from the London Calling era and yet we haven't heard it. And I did read an article back in 1999 that said that the only full shows they ever found multitracks for were Bonds, Boston and Shea and that was after Sony put a lot of resources into a search.

I'd love to have a Lewisham show- I don't understand why they didn't release all the tracks we know they do have on the box. I guess to make room for First Night Back in London and Long Time Jerk.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Yep. Madness just did a brilliant job of that with every album and just when you think they have emptied the tank they release a whole load of rehearsal takes from 1979 including songs never heard before.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:

The Jam had "Direction, Reaction, Creation" which was a career spanning boxset like Sound System, but are still taking the time to release deluxe versions of the seperate albums with even more extras. That's the tyype of thing I'd like. I refuse to believe the vaults are empty.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:

The Jam had "Direction, Reaction, Creation" which was a career spanning boxset like Sound System, but are still taking the time to release deluxe versions of the seperate albums with even more extras. That's the tyype of thing I'd like. I refuse to believe the vaults are empty.
The vaults are not empty. But may not have stuff deemed suitable for release.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia