Spot The Album

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: Spot The Album

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 12:21pm
matedog wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 11:19am
It's also worth considering the greater carbon footprint of a physical product (particular for something that isn't inherently physical).
That's an interesting point, although I guess we'd have to also figure out the relative carbon output for streaming services. I'm not sure how one would do that - presumably direct impacts from streaming/downloading and then trying to come to some sort of apportioned responsibility for a sliver of internet infrastructure. Intuitively, downloading/streaming seems better on the carbon footprint front, but I'd be curious how big the gap is.
That's a good counter point I hadn't considered.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

matedog wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 12:23pm
Flex wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 12:21pm
matedog wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 11:19am
It's also worth considering the greater carbon footprint of a physical product (particular for something that isn't inherently physical).
That's an interesting point, although I guess we'd have to also figure out the relative carbon output for streaming services. I'm not sure how one would do that - presumably direct impacts from streaming/downloading and then trying to come to some sort of apportioned responsibility for a sliver of internet infrastructure. Intuitively, downloading/streaming seems better on the carbon footprint front, but I'd be curious how big the gap is.
That's a good counter point I hadn't considered.
I was horrified/amazed to hear the damage Bitcoin was doing to the environment.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Silent Majority wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 2:13pm
these crypto-libertarians are determined to destroy the world one way or another.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 2:17pm
Silent Majority wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 2:13pm
these crypto-libertarians are determined to destroy the world one way or another.
This is why I just torrent my WoWgold.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

You could also question the statement that music isn't inherently physical.

Just saying. Not going to wait around for the abuse.

I rarely even listen to Big Audio Dynamite.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

So I bought new Specials album Encore on pre order . I had to buy it online as not being stocked (yet) by any NZ retailers. Spent couple of weeks trying to ascertain this as my preference is to walk into a shop and buy it plus I try to support the independent music retailers whenever I can.
Album was released on Friday but my Amazon order hasn’t even been dispatched yet.
I see the album is now on Spotify already, no wonder people use Spotify.
I have downloaded it but haven’t listened to it yet as I want to wait for my vinyl copy first. But once I have the vinyl I will use the Spotify download so that I can listen to it whenever (in the car, on a plane etc) on my phone. Buying vinyl back in the day this want a problem.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
03 Feb 2019, 3:01am
So I bought new Specials album Encore on pre order . I had to buy it online as not being stocked (yet) by any NZ retailers. Spent couple of weeks trying to ascertain this as my preference is to walk into a shop and buy it plus I try to support the independent music retailers whenever I can.
Album was released on Friday but my Amazon order hasn’t even been dispatched yet.
I have downloaded it but haven’t listened to it yet as I want to wait for my vinyl copy first. But once I have the vinyl I will use the Spotify download so that I can listen to it whenever (in the car, on a plane etc) on my phone. Buying vinyl back in the day this want a problem.
The problem here is simply supply and demand and format. As a new album hotly anticipated of course it will have way less vinyl editions than it's CD counterparts. I ordered the CD a day ago from Amazon as you know and received an email saying it will be delivered this afternoon.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

101Walterton wrote:
If you've paid for the album, then isn't listening on Spotify better for the artist since they're getting paid twice (even if it is fractions of what they would get otherwise)?
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

oliver wrote:
03 Feb 2019, 10:24am
101Walterton wrote:
If you've paid for the album, then isn't listening on Spotify better for the artist since they're getting paid twice (even if it is fractions of what they would get otherwise)?
As I understand it, it keeps people from getting out more. Or something.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

For 101.

2 disc CD arrived today at 15.00 hrs. £9.99 not bad price. Will listen when all the footy is done.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Feb 2019, 8:51am
101Walterton wrote:
The problem here is simply supply and demand and format. As a new album hotly anticipated of course it will have way less vinyl editions than it's CD counterparts. I ordered the CD a day ago from Amazon as you know and received an email saying it will be delivered this afternoon.
It isn’t just the vinyl they aren’t supplying full stop. No doubt it will appear on the shelves in a few months.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

oliver wrote:
03 Feb 2019, 10:24am
101Walterton wrote:
Yep, but I am a diehard fan the majority won’t bother to look for the physical product when they can download it instantly for free.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
03 Feb 2019, 1:43pm
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
It isn’t just the vinyl they aren’t supplying full stop. No doubt it will appear on the shelves in a few months.
No Doubt I thought it was The Specials. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Feb 2019, 2:14pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
I knew you were going to say that Dad!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
03 Feb 2019, 2:38pm
Marky Dread wrote:
03 Feb 2019, 2:14pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
I knew you were going to say that Dad!
That's my boy!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia