THIS IS BIG SURVIVAL DYNAMITE ROUND 3

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.

Vote for the song you DON'T like

Poll ended at 17 May 2019, 2:53am

Medicine Show
9%
E=MC2
No votes
The Bottom Line
9%
A Party
45%
Sudden Impact
23%
Stone Thames
14%

Total votes: 22

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

THIS IS BIG SURVIVAL DYNAMITE ROUND 3

Post by Silent Majority »

BAD is a song not in
Might as well keep it in a biscuit tin
Some might say eponymously grating
Some people don't like Don's rapping
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: THIS IS BIG SURVIVAL DYNAMITE ROUND 3

Post by Heston »

Went with A Party but everything here is great.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

I went Sudden Impact, which I like ever so slightly less than A Party. But this is a solidly consistent album.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Going with A Party only because I find the other songs a hair catchier
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sticking with "Stone Thames," tho it's a coin flip between that and "Sudden Impact." But Kory is pulling for "SI" and he did give me that kidney when I asked for it that one time, so I guess this makes us even.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Also, I'd love to know who's the bold soul who's been tagging "The Bottom Line" since round one, just for the rationale.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

drowninghere
Long Time Jerk

Post by drowninghere »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 May 2019, 8:33am
Also, I'd love to know who's the bold soul who's been tagging "The Bottom Line" since round one, just for the rationale.
Not me but its next up after Sudden Impact is out. Personally, the 12 inch version (which is easily one of my 2 - 3 favourite BAD songs) just diluted the album version of The Bottom Line for me, which just seems like half a song now.

Funnily enough, just to show how taste can diverge amongst a group of fans who like the same thing, A Party would be one of my final two - the 3 Mick verses in that song with the same melody (ie. "White Knight write are wrongs, lyrics for the protest songs, number one top of the charts, rock n' roll bleeding hearts, they offered us a special patch, knew there had to be a catch, family tree pulled at the root, they still bear that old strange fruit") are my favourite moments on a phenomenal album.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

drowninghere wrote:
16 May 2019, 9:20am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 May 2019, 8:33am
Not me but its next up after Sudden Impact is out. Personally, the 12 inch version (which is easily one of my 2 - 3 favourite BAD songs) just diluted the album version of The Bottom Line for me, which just seems like half a song now.
The 12" is much, much better. definitely, but it hasn't harmed the album version for me. Tho there may be some imprinting going on, too—it was some time before I heard any of the remixes or extended cuts, so the album versions are "definitive" in my consciousness.
Funnily enough, just to show how taste can diverge amongst a group of fans who like the same thing, A Party would be one of my final two - the 3 Mick verses in that song with the same melody (ie. "White Knight write are wrongs, lyrics for the protest songs, number one top of the charts, rock n' roll bleeding hearts, they offered us a special patch, knew there had to be a catch, family tree pulled at the root, they still bear that old strange fruit") are my favourite moments on a phenomenal album.
I put it at #4. Apart from the lyrical theme and prose, I like the slower pace yet still clearly of similar style as the rest of the record.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

drowninghere wrote:
family tree pulled at the root, they still bear that old strange fruit
That is a fantastic line but I didn't grasp the full meaning until a few years later when I read the poem and it became even more hard hitting

Anyone know what that weird sample is at around 2:19 of the album version?
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 May 2019, 8:30am
Sticking with "Stone Thames," tho it's a coin flip between that and "Sudden Impact." But Kory is pulling for "SI" and he did give me that kidney when I asked for it that one time, so I guess this makes us even.
Sudden Impact is great for me.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

oliver wrote:
16 May 2019, 9:58am
drowninghere wrote:
family tree pulled at the root, they still bear that old strange fruit
That is a fantastic line but I didn't grasp the full meaning until a few years later when I read the poem and it became even more hard hitting

Anyone know what that weird sample is at around 2:19 of the album version?
Are you refering to the odd dialogue that comes in after the Zulu sample?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 May 2019, 2:57pm
Dunno if this message board honours the start-time directive but it's at 2:19 until 2:34 with a gap in the middle. I may be demonstrating a bit of ignorance here but I thought Zulu samples were on the remix. I always assumed it was some backwards dialogue looped but just wondered if anyone knew.

Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

oliver wrote:
16 May 2019, 4:39pm
Marky Dread wrote:
16 May 2019, 2:57pm
Dunno if this message board honours the start-time directive but it's at 2:19 until 2:34 with a gap in the middle. I may be demonstrating a bit of ignorance here but I thought Zulu samples were on the remix. I always assumed it was some backwards dialogue looped but just wondered if anyone knew.

I haven't played the youtube clip but I have listened back to my Legacy Edition at the time stated and the chants from the movie Zulu are heard at 2:14 - 2:18 then at 2:19 there is some dialogue which sounds like someone bartering but I do not know the movie source.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

After listening to A Party a few times tonight I'm starting to think I should have went for Sudden Impact.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I can only conclude that there is a disturbing degree of support for apartheid here. Shame, shame, shame. :shifty: