BAD SURVIVAL POLL - TIGHTEN UP VOL 1

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.

Vote for the song you DON'T like

Poll ended at 21 May 2019, 2:01am

Rock Non Stop
25%
Other 99
6%
Funny Names
38%
Applecart
No votes
Esquerita
6%
Champagne
25%

Total votes: 16

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Re: BAD SURVIVAL POLL - TIGHTEN UP VOL 1

Post by BitterTom »

I must be in the minority who loves Rock Non Stop.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:
20 May 2019, 4:54pm
I still like it. I like every song on the album, just some more than others. It is much more consistent than Upping St.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Heston wrote:
20 May 2019, 4:57pm
BitterTom wrote:
I still like it. I like every song on the album, just some more than others. It is much more consistent than Upping St.
Agree with all of this apart from 2000 Shoes.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Just listening to Tighten Up right now. Hip, Neck and Thigh is the underrated tune on here. It's almost 1950's in its structure, I could imagine the Everly Brothers or someone singing it in an acoustic arrangement. Top tunesmithery by Mick!

I still like 2000 Shoes but it is the weakest link, maybe they should have put Much Worse on instead. That track was wasted as a b-side.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Hip Neck and Thigh is a joy and with any justice should progress far.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

This is a good album—I didn't give it much notice when I first got into them but it's grown on me a lot. Plus, you can't beat a Simonon cover.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston

Post by Heston »

I've just noticed Mick has no writing credit on 2000 Shoes, maybe that's why it's lacking the usual melodic touch.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
20 May 2019, 6:42pm
This is a good album—I didn't give it much notice when I first got into them but it's grown on me a lot. Plus, you can't beat a Simonon cover.
It took me a long time to cotton to it because it was so understated compared to the first two records. And while I don't think it's as good as those first two, it's a respectable bronze medal.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

BitterTom wrote:
I'm with you there just wished it was longer

drowninghere
Long Time Jerk

Post by drowninghere »

4 - 5 pretty weak songs on this one (2 - 3 downright dreadful), compared to only one on Upping St and none on the first album. Also, there is something really remarkably uncool and out of time about this album, which is endearing today but which was commercial suicide at the time and odd considering they were only 1 year removed from Upping St. Finally, Just Play Music had about as lame and self-negating a lyric as could be imagined, until it was topped a number of years later by Looking For a Song.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

drowninghere wrote:
20 May 2019, 10:34pm
4 - 5 pretty weak songs on this one (2 - 3 downright dreadful), compared to only one on Upping St and none on the first album. Also, there is something really remarkably uncool and out of time about this album, which is endearing today but which was commercial suicide at the time and odd considering they were only 1 year removed from Upping St. Finally, Just Play Music had about as lame and self-negating a lyric as could be imagined, until it was topped a number of years later by Looking For a Song.
Which didn't have the tune to carry it like JPM did.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
21 May 2019, 12:43pm
drowninghere wrote:
Looking For a Song was a nadir. I pretty much gave up on BAD at that point.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
21 May 2019, 6:58pm
Kory wrote:
drowninghere wrote:
A shame because Higher Power really isn't that bad of an album.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
21 May 2019, 7:38pm
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
drowninghere wrote:
Would have to respectfully disagree.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
21 May 2019, 7:47pm
Kory wrote:
21 May 2019, 7:38pm
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
drowninghere wrote:
Would have to respectfully disagree.
I'll listen to it again. I just picked it up after ages a few weeks ago and wasn't compelled to turn it off.