Please speak up, Mick...

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
crashtheparty
Dirty Punk

Re: Please speak up, Mick...

Post by crashtheparty »

Does anyone know more about this? I remember reading it somewhere before, but can’t remember where. This attachment was found on Twitter following Boris’s cringeworthy video.
Attachments
E6508091-5DD7-43D9-B54F-BBBF0DCAC98E.png

crashtheparty
Dirty Punk

Post by crashtheparty »

Here’s the source of the attachment. Must say, I’m quite unsettled by this. Joe writing to Boris about hunting? It’s documented that Johnson supports fox hunting. :huh:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theg ... s.london08
Attachments
4668BADF-98E2-48C4-8040-03EFA42DACCB.png

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

That's got to be satirical surely. Higher calcium consumption well not in the 70s when Thatcher took away free school milk.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

I saw somewhere, someone say that Boris Johnson can actually be seen in the crowd at the FBU Benefit/ Srummer and Jones re-union gig in 2002. I had assumed it was a wind-up. Now I daren't investigate further. I'm afraid of what I might find.
Last edited by MarkyJacobs on 13 Nov 2019, 3:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

crashtheparty
Dirty Punk

Post by crashtheparty »

Marky Dread wrote:
13 Nov 2019, 2:10pm
That's got to be satirical surely. Higher calcium consumption well not in the 70s when Thatcher took away free school milk.
Did you see my first screenshot before the Johnson one? :huh:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

crashtheparty wrote:
13 Nov 2019, 2:58pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Ha no I didn't. What's your take on it?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

crashtheparty
Dirty Punk

Post by crashtheparty »

Marky Dread wrote:
13 Nov 2019, 2:59pm
crashtheparty wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
I don't know what to make of it, I'm quite perplexed. I'd like to know more for sure. As far i know Johnson has always been pro fox hunting and he wrote a column for the Telegraph. I found the blog where the screenshot is from: https://confessionsofapsychotherapist.b ... r-joe.html

"Regular readers of this blog will know that I am a big fan of those quirky little programmes that Radio 4 does so well. Great Lives is one such programme, and I almost squealed with pleasure to find that today's subject was Joe Strummer, former frontman of The Clash. Phil Jupitus was discussing Strummer's life and influences, along with Chris Salewicz, Strummer's biographer. I hold a great respect for Matthew Parris, the interviewer, despite his toriness. He is a marvellous interviewer - respectful, knowledgeable and probing.

The programme was a delight. Parris suggested that punk was borne out of a rage at the prevailing zeitgeist, and in this respect had much in common with Thatcherism. I think this is a very dubious argument, by the way, but was tickled at the image he describes of trying to persuade Thatch to listen to The Clash and to court the punk vote. I suspect most punk rockers didn't vote. Anarchy was the thing then, and you don't pop in to vote tory on your way to your anarcho-syndicalist cell meeting. However, Chris Salewicz talked of the strange friendship that Strummer struck up with Boris Johnson a few years before his death. Sandinista was apparently Johnson's favourite album. He has always loved irony, I suspect, and surely that particular one wasn't lost on him? Apparently they would write to each other regularly, and Strummer would try and get his poetry published in The Spectator. Wouldn't you have loved to see that?

Strummer never lost his political passion. He didn't become a property developer in New York, or play the pseudo punk in the Australian jungle for cheap publicity and even cheaper laughs. He was a man of principle. And he wrote some top songs aswell."

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

crashtheparty wrote:
13 Nov 2019, 3:13pm
Marky Dread wrote:
crashtheparty wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
I don't know what to make of it, I'm quite perplexed. I'd like to know more for sure. As far i know Johnson has always been pro fox hunting and he wrote a column for the Telegraph. I found the blog where the screenshot is from: https://confessionsofapsychotherapist.b ... r-joe.html

"Regular readers of this blog will know that I am a big fan of those quirky little programmes that Radio 4 does so well. Great Lives is one such programme, and I almost squealed with pleasure to find that today's subject was Joe Strummer, former frontman of The Clash. Phil Jupitus was discussing Strummer's life and influences, along with Chris Salewicz, Strummer's biographer. I hold a great respect for Matthew Parris, the interviewer, despite his toriness. He is a marvellous interviewer - respectful, knowledgeable and probing.

The programme was a delight. Parris suggested that punk was borne out of a rage at the prevailing zeitgeist, and in this respect had much in common with Thatcherism. I think this is a very dubious argument, by the way, but was tickled at the image he describes of trying to persuade Thatch to listen to The Clash and to court the punk vote. I suspect most punk rockers didn't vote. Anarchy was the thing then, and you don't pop in to vote tory on your way to your anarcho-syndicalist cell meeting. However, Chris Salewicz talked of the strange friendship that Strummer struck up with Boris Johnson a few years before his death. Sandinista was apparently Johnson's favourite album. He has always loved irony, I suspect, and surely that particular one wasn't lost on him? Apparently they would write to each other regularly, and Strummer would try and get his poetry published in The Spectator. Wouldn't you have loved to see that?

Strummer never lost his political passion. He didn't become a property developer in New York, or play the pseudo punk in the Australian jungle for cheap publicity and even cheaper laughs. He was a man of principle. And he wrote some top songs aswell."
I hope I'm right in thinking that Joe liked to understand people. To get inside a situation and understand the enemy by knowing why and what makes people think and make the choices they do.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Marky Dread wrote:
13 Nov 2019, 3:48pm
crashtheparty wrote:
13 Nov 2019, 3:13pm
Marky Dread wrote:
crashtheparty wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I hope I'm right in thinking that Joe liked to understand people. To get inside a situation and understand the enemy by knowing why and what makes people think and make the choices they do.
I tend to believe this as well.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
12 Nov 2019, 5:15pm
Mick is a very strong supporter of Labour. He is very invested in the defeat of (the unelected) Boris Johnson and the Tories
Must be an interesting Xmas dinner with Mick and Grant Schapps.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

MarkyJacobs wrote:
13 Nov 2019, 2:34pm
I saw somewhere, someone say that Boris Johnson can actually be seen in the crowd at the FBU Benefit/ Srummer and Jones re-union gig in 2002. I had assumed it was a wind-up. Now I daren't investigate further. I'm afraid of what I might find.
If he was there, he was there. Hardly scary stuff.

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

BitterTom wrote:
13 Nov 2019, 5:56pm
MarkyJacobs wrote:
Whatever. It's not fucking 1979.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

MarkyJacobs wrote:
13 Nov 2019, 6:17pm
BitterTom wrote:
13 Nov 2019, 5:56pm
MarkyJacobs wrote:
Whatever. It's not fucking 1979.
Ok?

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

oliver wrote:
13 Nov 2019, 5:52pm
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
12 Nov 2019, 5:15pm
Mick is a very strong supporter of Labour. He is very invested in the defeat of (the unelected) Boris Johnson and the Tories
Must be an interesting Xmas dinner with Mick and Grant Schapps.
I do wonder if Mick is afraid of drawing press attention to this family connection. I wondered it when André was so quickly dismissed as a possible replacement for Dan on the 2011 tour - although there's probably a perfectly innocent explanation.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
That's my impression too, the other scenario about McDonalds seems satitical too. Out of context it is hard to tell.

But I've yet to see this letter to Johnson and what it entails. And even If it exists. Until then it's all conjecture.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board