F-Punk Remixed

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: F-Punk Remixed

Post by Marky Dread »

dave202 wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 4:00pm
Thanks Marky! Oops! Double post.
Cheers Dave.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 3:45pm
Kory wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 3:35pm
See, the problem with this is that I have to listen to F-Punk twice. It's been so long that I won't have any comparison any more.
This was my problem. I have no doubt Marky will have done a good job so I wasn't prepared the give the old version a spin first.

I'm nearly through playing it now and sorry, I just don't like this album. The guitar tones are horrible, and Mick just sounds like he's got a bad cold. I don't know if using shit microphones was a deliberate production decision but it doesn't work. Couple of good tunes but Jesus, what happened?
Not much you can do about those complaints. I don't care for the that guitar sound either. And the vocals just feel like they are recorded live without any pop shield etc. I do like a few of the songs though. GonnaTry/Singapore/Psycho Wing/Got to Set Her Free could've been contenders with a different approach.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 5:30pm
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
See, the problem with this is that I have to listen to F-Punk twice. It's been so long that I won't have any comparison any more.
This was my problem. I have no doubt Marky will have done a good job so I wasn't prepared the give the old version a spin first.

I'm nearly through playing it now and sorry, I just don't like this album. The guitar tones are horrible, and Mick just sounds like he's got a bad cold. I don't know if using shit microphones was a deliberate production decision but it doesn't work. Couple of good tunes but Jesus, what happened?
Not much you can do about those complaints. I don't care for the that guitar sound either. And the vocals just feel like they are recorded live without any pop shield etc. I do like a few of the songs though. GonnaTry/Singapore/Psycho Wing/Got to Set Her Free could've been contenders with a different approach.
Totally mate, not a grumble about your mix because those were the sounds as recorded, impossible to alter them even if you had the multitracks.

Yeah, the songs you mention all had the right ingredients.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Cheers, Marky! Looking forward to giving this a spin.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Agreed that those are the four best songs. They did basically record much of the album live, with live drums. As for Mick’s vocals, I think the issue is the keys the songs are done in. Mick sang in his lower register for a lot of the album and didn’t double track a higher pitched voice like he had often done historically (i.e. E = MC2). This was a deliberate decision, as I remember asking him about it when I heard the roughs.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 11:44pm
Agreed that those are the four best songs. They did basically record much of the album live, with live drums. As for Mick’s vocals, I think the issue is the keys the songs are done in. Mick sang in his lower register for a lot of the album and didn’t double track a higher pitched voice like he had often done historically (i.e. E = MC2). This was a deliberate decision, as I remember asking him about it when I heard the roughs.
It all feels like a demo. I like those songs mentioned and the album is choc full of ideas that I like even if they don't work that well. It feels like a big production done on a budget. Micks guitar tone is flat and there are some nice things that are too buried in the mix.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 5:44pm
Marky Dread wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 5:30pm
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:

Totally mate, not a grumble about your mix because those were the sounds as recorded, impossible to alter them even if you had the multitracks.

Yeah, the songs you mention all had the right ingredients.
Thinking about this a little more you could change the sound of the guitar with the multi tracks. It would be a real trial and error process and who knows if it would work. Same could done via pitch with the vocal. You could double up the vocal track and pitch one in a higher range then mix the lower range slightly lower in the mix.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

I do agree with what everyone says and the criticisms but i really love this album and i totally get it. The fact its live just makes it even more the better for me

Its just a shame entering a new ride didn't get an official release now that's something i would like to see. Its chaotic, explosive and exciting just like dynamite should be

Is it me or does all that Mick touches fizzle out in a unannounced way when it starts to reach its pinnacle or at its best

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 7:51am
I do agree with what everyone says and the criticisms but i really love this album and i totally get it. The fact its live just makes it even more the better for me

Its just a shame entering a new ride didn't get an official release now that's something i would like to see. Its chaotic, explosive and exciting just like dynamite should be

Is it me or does all that Mick touches fizzle out in a unannounced way when it starts to reach its pinnacle or at its best
I'd say both the Clash and BAD continued past their peaks, but the slight declines were still great.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Equaliser
Dirty Punk

Post by Equaliser »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Jun 2020, 10:37am
Here's F-Punk Remixed. I think it sounds much better. Some decent tunes on here burried on a terrible mix.

https://mega.nz/file/nk0x1CLD#p3_GrB6Kn ... F7sFqROJjA
I can't wait to dive into this as I kind of love this album for some reason. I love the bonus tracks but you forgot the amazing b-side Saturday Night Inside?

I appreciate your fine work!

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

I might be in the minority here but I have always liked this album, Higher Power too. Looking forward to seeing what Marky's magic can do cause I think it's already a good album.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Looks like it's just me who's not a fan!
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Equaliser wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 11:08am
Marky Dread wrote:
Here's F-Punk Remixed. I think it sounds much better. Some decent tunes on here burried on a terrible mix.

I can't wait to dive into this as I kind of love this album for some reason. I love the bonus tracks but you forgot the amazing b-side Saturday Night Inside?

Cheers!

I didn't miss "Saturday Night Inside" as such as this wasn't a deluxe job to include everything as there are more mixes etc. The idea was just to improve the sound on the album. I just added the other tracks from the cd single of "I Turned Out A Punk".

I agree though "Saturday Night Inside" is a stomper. Should've been on the album.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Equaliser
Dirty Punk

Post by Equaliser »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 11:27am
Equaliser wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Cheers!

I didn't miss "Saturday Night Inside" as such as this wasn't a deluxe job to include everything as there are more mixes etc. The idea was just to improve the sound on the album. I just added the other tracks from the cd single of "I Turned Out A Punk".

I agree though "Saturday Night Inside" is a stomper. Should've been on the album.
Thanks Marky, sorry to get the Nitcomb out on you.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Equaliser wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 11:49am
Marky Dread wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 11:27am
Equaliser wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Cheers!

Thanks Marky, sorry to get the Nitcomb out on you.
:mrgreen: ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia