Don's book

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Don's book

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Don’s book brings up again Joe’s, um, questionable ways with women, as often seen in Chris Salewicz’s biography. This time it’s a story about how Joe “stole” Jeannette Lee from Don, which led to Don staying away from the Clash for some time starting in 1977. It’s interesting because Don scrupulously avoids too much negative commentary about anyone in his book, save for his own foibles. I wonder if this had a (further) effect on Don’s roommate Lydon’s negative vibes toward Joe. Of course Jeannette later “joined” PiL, and later yet put Mick together with The Libertines when she was an exec at Rough Trade. A very small town, that Notting Hill.

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
26 Mar 2021, 3:38am
Don’s book brings up again Joe’s, um, questionable ways with women, as often seen in Chris Salewicz’s biography. This time it’s a story about how Joe “stole” Jeannette Lee from Don, which led to Don staying away from the Clash for some time starting in 1977. It’s interesting because Don scrupulously avoids too much negative commentary about anyone in his book, save for his own foibles. I wonder if this had a (further) effect on Don’s roommate Lydon’s negative vibes toward Joe. Of course Jeannette later “joined” PiL, and later yet put Mick together with The Libertines when she was an exec at Rough Trade. A very small town, that Notting Hill.
In Billy Idol's book he mentions that him and Don fell out because Billy "stole" Jeannette as well.
Me Dad had a car that was stolen twice. I never worked out whether it was because it was an attractive car to have or my Dad was just careless.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

white man wrote:
26 Mar 2021, 6:13am
In Billy Idol's book he mentions that him and Don fell out because Billy "stole" Jeannette as well.
Me Dad had a car that was stolen twice. I never worked out whether it was because it was an attractive car to have or my Dad was just careless.
Haha very true mate. Never make a pretty girl your girlfriend as all your mates will fancy her.

Let's not forget this quote from Joe to Tony Parsons.

"I wouldn't steal money off a friend, but I'd steal his girlfriend".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I'm about 60% through the book and really liking it so far. However, Don mentions his dad playing soca records when he (Don) was around 4 or 5, but to the best of my knowledge, soca wasn't created until the early 70s. Is there some kind of bridge genre, or was it just a misremembering perhaps?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I get the sense that Lydon wouldn't be shy about calling that out explicitly if it was a factor. I suspect his distaste for Joe (semi-recent comment about missing him notwithstanding) probably simply just boils down to a combo of jealousy and not liking Joe's cosplaying as working class.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 4:55pm
I get the sense that Lydon wouldn't be shy about calling that out explicitly if it was a factor. I suspect his distaste for Joe (semi-recent comment about missing him notwithstanding) probably simply just boils down to a combo of jealousy and not liking Joe's cosplaying as working class.
If so, the latter is rationalization for the former.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 5:03pm
Kory wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 4:55pm
If so, the latter is rationalization for the former.
True. It's just so obvious that as iconoclastic as people think John is, he clings to his title/reputation as the king of punk like a life raft. It's doubly annoying how much it thinks it gives him authority over what is or isn't punk.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 5:09pm
It's doubly annoying how much it thinks it gives him authority over what is or isn't punk.
yeah, we all know that authority resides solely with me.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 5:11pm
Kory wrote:
It's doubly annoying how much it thinks it gives him authority over what is or isn't punk.
I'm very comfortable blaming you for the punk that sucks.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 5:11pm
Kory wrote:
I defer to you on all matters except Irish punk fusion.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Kindle version for £12? Unjustifiable.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
06 Jun 2021, 2:37pm
edit: Better source: https://book4you.org/dl/12344772/5969b6

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Jun 2021, 2:41pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Thank you!
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Jun 2021, 2:41pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Thanks Doc!
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

The book suggests Everybody Needs a Holiday was an ode to Mick's recently departed grandmother.