Don's book

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Don's book

Post by Marky Dread »

MarkyJacobs wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 3:50pm
The book suggests Everybody Needs a Holiday was an ode to Mick's recently departed grandmother.
Mick dedicated Megatop to her.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

Marky Dread wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 3:53pm
MarkyJacobs wrote:
The book suggests Everybody Needs a Holiday was an ode to Mick's recently departed grandmother.
Yes, I remember that. But had no idea about the song.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

MarkyJacobs wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 4:32pm
Marky Dread wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 3:53pm
MarkyJacobs wrote:
Yes, I remember that. But had no idea about the song.
No me neither.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

Maybe a 'lament for' rather than an 'ode to'?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

MarkyJacobs wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 10:37pm
Maybe a 'lament for' rather than an 'ode to'?
That would be a much better way of putting it.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

x3em
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by x3em »

I read this back to back over the weekend. Truly enjoyable experience.

I've always liked Don, such a cool character and we owe him immensely for all his contributions.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

x3em wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 1:16pm

I've always liked Don, such a cool character and we owe him immensely for all his contributions.
There was some guy in one of the BAD Facebook groups who was trying to downplay Don's importance. As I recall, he got ripped apart.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 4:56pm
x3em wrote:

There was some guy in one of the BAD Facebook groups who was trying to downplay Don's importance. As I recall, he got ripped apart.
He's one of those people who will always be the coolest guy in whatever room he's in.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
x3em wrote:

The very fact he wrote the lyrics to E=MC2 justifies his place in the scheme of great things for me. And that's aside from everything else he ever did. Like the videos for Pass the Dutchie and Rock the Casbah. And the BAD song, "Much Worse".

Dude is cool as fuck and his book is excellent.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 5:22pm
Kory wrote:
x3em wrote:

The very fact he wrote the lyrics to E=MC2 justifies his place in the scheme of great things for me. And that's aside from everything else he ever did. Like the videos for Pass the Dutchie and Rock the Casbah. And the BAD song, "Much Worse".

And documenting the initial punk scene and being instrumental to bridging reggae fans with punk fans. He's one of those vital people in every scene who isn't the public face.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 5:33pm
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
x3em wrote:

And documenting the initial punk scene and being instrumental to bridging reggae fans with punk fans. He's one of those vital people in every scene who isn't the public face.
Yeah, there's loads of other stuff. Love the Don.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
x3em wrote:

This bit always gives me a wry smile.

Don played reggae as the DJ of the Roxy because he was into reggae simple. The punks dug it because it was cool and had a militant message at times. But then there's the story of there not being many punk records for Don to play other than the first Damned single "New Rose" or Ramones "Blitzkrieg Bop". But this really is another piece of punk fabrication. Don could've played The Stooges/The MC5/New York Dolls/The Modern Lovers and so on. But of course Don was a reggae guy so why would he have those records at the time. So much of what occured was just haphazard and it all just somehow fell together. Brilliant! Love Don a great guy.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

'Second Summer of Love'. Perhaps largely mythical, but widely purported as taking place in 1988 (sometimes being extended to include 1988 and 1989). Not 1987.

Heston

Post by Heston »

MarkyJacobs wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 11:19am
'Second Summer of Love'. Perhaps largely mythical, but widely purported as taking place in 1988 (sometimes being extended to include 1988 and 1989). Not 1987.
Depends how early to the party you were I suppose. Didn't BAD mention ecstasy in Stone Thames as early as 1985?

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Marky Dread wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 7:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
x3em wrote:

This bit always gives me a wry smile.

Don played reggae as the DJ of the Roxy because he was into reggae simple. The punks dug it because it was cool and had a militant message at times. But then there's the story of there not being many punk records for Don to play other than the first Damned single "New Rose" or Ramones "Blitzkrieg Bop". But this really is another piece of punk fabrication. Don could've played The Stooges/The MC5/New York Dolls/The Modern Lovers and so on. But of course Don was a reggae guy so why would he have those records at the time. So much of what occured was just haphazard and it all just somehow fell together. Brilliant! Love Don a great guy.
I agree with everything you say, some things came together but it wasn't planned, all haphazard and some fabrication, but then isn't that the whole story of punk?
By the way, anyone know the scores when The Clash played CBS executives at 5-a-side football, or the match against Bob Marley & The Wailers, or is that more punk mythology?