Page 5 of 6

Re: Don's book

Posted: 10 Jun 2021, 3:53pm
by Marky Dread
MarkyJacobs wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 3:50pm
The book suggests Everybody Needs a Holiday was an ode to Mick's recently departed grandmother.
Mick dedicated Megatop to her.

Re: Don's book

Posted: 10 Jun 2021, 4:32pm
by MarkyJacobs
Marky Dread wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 3:53pm
MarkyJacobs wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 3:50pm
The book suggests Everybody Needs a Holiday was an ode to Mick's recently departed grandmother.
Mick dedicated Megatop to her.
Yes, I remember that. But had no idea about the song.

Re: Don's book

Posted: 10 Jun 2021, 4:58pm
by Marky Dread
MarkyJacobs wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 4:32pm
Marky Dread wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 3:53pm
MarkyJacobs wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 3:50pm
The book suggests Everybody Needs a Holiday was an ode to Mick's recently departed grandmother.
Mick dedicated Megatop to her.
Yes, I remember that. But had no idea about the song.
No me neither.

Re: Don's book

Posted: 11 Jun 2021, 10:37pm
by MarkyJacobs
Maybe a 'lament for' rather than an 'ode to'?

Re: Don's book

Posted: 12 Jun 2021, 4:36am
by Marky Dread
MarkyJacobs wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 10:37pm
Maybe a 'lament for' rather than an 'ode to'?
That would be a much better way of putting it.

Re: Don's book

Posted: 29 Jun 2021, 1:16pm
by x3em
I read this back to back over the weekend. Truly enjoyable experience.

I've always liked Don, such a cool character and we owe him immensely for all his contributions.

Re: Don's book

Posted: 29 Jun 2021, 4:56pm
by Kory
x3em wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 1:16pm
I read this back to back over the weekend. Truly enjoyable experience.

I've always liked Don, such a cool character and we owe him immensely for all his contributions.
There was some guy in one of the BAD Facebook groups who was trying to downplay Don's importance. As I recall, he got ripped apart.

Re: Don's book

Posted: 29 Jun 2021, 5:13pm
by Dr. Medulla
Kory wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 4:56pm
x3em wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 1:16pm
I read this back to back over the weekend. Truly enjoyable experience.

I've always liked Don, such a cool character and we owe him immensely for all his contributions.
There was some guy in one of the BAD Facebook groups who was trying to downplay Don's importance. As I recall, he got ripped apart.
He's one of those people who will always be the coolest guy in whatever room he's in.

Re: Don's book

Posted: 29 Jun 2021, 5:22pm
by Heston
Kory wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 4:56pm
x3em wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 1:16pm
I read this back to back over the weekend. Truly enjoyable experience.

I've always liked Don, such a cool character and we owe him immensely for all his contributions.
There was some guy in one of the BAD Facebook groups who was trying to downplay Don's importance. As I recall, he got ripped apart.
The very fact he wrote the lyrics to E=MC2 justifies his place in the scheme of great things for me. And that's aside from everything else he ever did. Like the videos for Pass the Dutchie and Rock the Casbah. And the BAD song, "Much Worse".

Dude is cool as fuck and his book is excellent.

Re: Don's book

Posted: 29 Jun 2021, 5:33pm
by Dr. Medulla
Heston wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 5:22pm
Kory wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 4:56pm
x3em wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 1:16pm
I read this back to back over the weekend. Truly enjoyable experience.

I've always liked Don, such a cool character and we owe him immensely for all his contributions.
There was some guy in one of the BAD Facebook groups who was trying to downplay Don's importance. As I recall, he got ripped apart.
The very fact he wrote the lyrics to E=MC2 justifies his place in the scheme of great things for me. And that's aside from everything else he ever did. Like the videos for Pass the Dutchie and Rock the Casbah. And the BAD song, "Much Worse".

Dude is cool as fuck and his book is excellent.
And documenting the initial punk scene and being instrumental to bridging reggae fans with punk fans. He's one of those vital people in every scene who isn't the public face.

Re: Don's book

Posted: 29 Jun 2021, 5:53pm
by Heston
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 5:33pm
Heston wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 5:22pm
Kory wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 4:56pm
x3em wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 1:16pm
I read this back to back over the weekend. Truly enjoyable experience.

I've always liked Don, such a cool character and we owe him immensely for all his contributions.
There was some guy in one of the BAD Facebook groups who was trying to downplay Don's importance. As I recall, he got ripped apart.
The very fact he wrote the lyrics to E=MC2 justifies his place in the scheme of great things for me. And that's aside from everything else he ever did. Like the videos for Pass the Dutchie and Rock the Casbah. And the BAD song, "Much Worse".

Dude is cool as fuck and his book is excellent.
And documenting the initial punk scene and being instrumental to bridging reggae fans with punk fans. He's one of those vital people in every scene who isn't the public face.
Yeah, there's loads of other stuff. Love the Don.

Re: Don's book

Posted: 29 Jun 2021, 7:02pm
by Marky Dread
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 5:33pm
Heston wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 5:22pm
Kory wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 4:56pm
x3em wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 1:16pm
I read this back to back over the weekend. Truly enjoyable experience.

I've always liked Don, such a cool character and we owe him immensely for all his contributions.
There was some guy in one of the BAD Facebook groups who was trying to downplay Don's importance. As I recall, he got ripped apart.
The very fact he wrote the lyrics to E=MC2 justifies his place in the scheme of great things for me. And that's aside from everything else he ever did. Like the videos for Pass the Dutchie and Rock the Casbah. And the BAD song, "Much Worse".

Dude is cool as fuck and his book is excellent.
And documenting the initial punk scene and being instrumental to bridging reggae fans with punk fans. He's one of those vital people in every scene who isn't the public face.
This bit always gives me a wry smile.

Don played reggae as the DJ of the Roxy because he was into reggae simple. The punks dug it because it was cool and had a militant message at times. But then there's the story of there not being many punk records for Don to play other than the first Damned single "New Rose" or Ramones "Blitzkrieg Bop". But this really is another piece of punk fabrication. Don could've played The Stooges/The MC5/New York Dolls/The Modern Lovers and so on. But of course Don was a reggae guy so why would he have those records at the time. So much of what occured was just haphazard and it all just somehow fell together. Brilliant! Love Don a great guy.

Re: Don's book

Posted: 01 Jul 2021, 11:19am
by MarkyJacobs
'Second Summer of Love'. Perhaps largely mythical, but widely purported as taking place in 1988 (sometimes being extended to include 1988 and 1989). Not 1987.

Re: Don's book

Posted: 01 Jul 2021, 11:47am
by Heston
MarkyJacobs wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 11:19am
'Second Summer of Love'. Perhaps largely mythical, but widely purported as taking place in 1988 (sometimes being extended to include 1988 and 1989). Not 1987.
Depends how early to the party you were I suppose. Didn't BAD mention ecstasy in Stone Thames as early as 1985?

Re: Don's book

Posted: 01 Jul 2021, 11:52am
by dave202
Marky Dread wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 7:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 5:33pm
Heston wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 5:22pm
Kory wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 4:56pm
x3em wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 1:16pm
I read this back to back over the weekend. Truly enjoyable experience.

I've always liked Don, such a cool character and we owe him immensely for all his contributions.
There was some guy in one of the BAD Facebook groups who was trying to downplay Don's importance. As I recall, he got ripped apart.
The very fact he wrote the lyrics to E=MC2 justifies his place in the scheme of great things for me. And that's aside from everything else he ever did. Like the videos for Pass the Dutchie and Rock the Casbah. And the BAD song, "Much Worse".

Dude is cool as fuck and his book is excellent.
And documenting the initial punk scene and being instrumental to bridging reggae fans with punk fans. He's one of those vital people in every scene who isn't the public face.
This bit always gives me a wry smile.

Don played reggae as the DJ of the Roxy because he was into reggae simple. The punks dug it because it was cool and had a militant message at times. But then there's the story of there not being many punk records for Don to play other than the first Damned single "New Rose" or Ramones "Blitzkrieg Bop". But this really is another piece of punk fabrication. Don could've played The Stooges/The MC5/New York Dolls/The Modern Lovers and so on. But of course Don was a reggae guy so why would he have those records at the time. So much of what occured was just haphazard and it all just somehow fell together. Brilliant! Love Don a great guy.
I agree with everything you say, some things came together but it wasn't planned, all haphazard and some fabrication, but then isn't that the whole story of punk?
By the way, anyone know the scores when The Clash played CBS executives at 5-a-side football, or the match against Bob Marley & The Wailers, or is that more punk mythology?