Why did B.A.D. "disband"?

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Why did B.A.D. "disband"?

Post by Marky Dread »

YoungParisians wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 10:38am
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 3:50am
Sure. Though Don didn’t stick it out long making records after leaving. He did the Screaming Target album, but then moved further into filmmaking, and didn’t have much to do with Dreadzone after writing some for the first record. I personally suspect that if BAD hadn’t run into some speed bumps, the lineup would have lasted a bit longer. Don and Leo stayed close to Mick.
Was the name change to B.A.D. II due to copyright/royalty issues with the other members? Or was it more to symbolize renewal?
As Mr. Jacobs says above it was the idea of a sequel a bit similar to "The French Connection" then the follow up " The French Connection II".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

Chairman Ralph wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 6:18am
I was pleased to learn that Subterania had opened as a venue again.
Yeah, it's a cool place. Loved the ambience, and I thought the sound there was excellent, which can be hit or miss in a nightclub setting like that. I'll always have great memories of BAD's four-night stand there, because right after the fourth, I went off that weekend to see relatives of mine deep in Germany, so it was quite hectic. Actually, that was true the other time I went -- I saw a TRB reunion gig there the weekend I went back to the States, so that's another one that stands out for me.
TRB = ?
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Spiff wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 11:57am
Chairman Ralph wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 6:18am
I was pleased to learn that Subterania had opened as a venue again.
Yeah, it's a cool place. Loved the ambience, and I thought the sound there was excellent, which can be hit or miss in a nightclub setting like that. I'll always have great memories of BAD's four-night stand there, because right after the fourth, I went off that weekend to see relatives of mine deep in Germany, so it was quite hectic. Actually, that was true the other time I went -- I saw a TRB reunion gig there the weekend I went back to the States, so that's another one that stands out for me.
TRB = ?
Tom Robinson Band?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by bazarboy75 »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 11:21am
As Mr. Jacobs says above it was the idea of a sequel a bit similar to "The French Connection" then the follow up " The French Connection II".
As Mick said at the beginning of this vid
"Vous avez vu Terminator 2 ? Voici BAD 2"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

bazarboy75 wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 1:57pm
Marky Dread wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 11:21am
As Mick said at the beginning of this vid
"Vous avez vu Terminator 2 ? Voici BAD 2"

Nice one BB.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Teddy said the idea was that it was the sequel, I think. Or maybe it was Mick that said it at the time? I can't remember.

I wish they'd been something else. But that's another discussion,
I think the idea was to draw a line from the past, as in, "That was the old band, this is the new one." At least, that's what I recall Mick saying when they made it to these shores.
TRB = ?
Tom Robinson Band?
Yes, Tom Robinson Band. I thought everyone know those particular initials! Can't imagine what other band would have claimed them, but if there was one, I'm sure I'll hear it about here. :mrgreen:

At any rate, they did a reunion gig at the then-Town & Country, 11/06/89, which marked the second week of my London experience, and then they did a run of gigs that spring of 1990. Still have the ticket stub from the former occasion. Good time had by all, as the saying goes.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

YoungParisians wrote:
Sure. Though Don didn’t stick it out long making records after leaving. He did the Screaming Target album, but then moved further into filmmaking, and didn’t have much to do with Dreadzone after writing some for the first record. I personally suspect that if BAD hadn’t run into some speed bumps, the lineup would have lasted a bit longer. Don and Leo stayed close to Mick.
Was the name change to B.A.D. II due to copyright/royalty issues with the other members? Or was it more to symbolize renewal?
I always thought the lyric, "You know that it's BAD but if you insist, here's one more chance now that you just missed" was maybe aimed at the former members, and hinting at a legal tussle over the name. I could be massively wrong though!
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Heston wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 8:50pm
YoungParisians wrote:
I always thought the lyric, "You know that it's BAD but if you insist, here's one more chance now that you just missed" was maybe aimed at the former members, and hinting at a legal tussle over the name. I could be massively wrong though!
I like that, put it next to "spread the news the maestro's back."
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Chairman Ralph wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 8:15pm
Teddy said the idea was that it was the sequel, I think. Or maybe it was Mick that said it at the time? I can't remember.

I think the idea was to draw a line from the past, as in, "That was the old band, this is the new one." At least, that's what I recall Mick saying when they made it to these shores.
TRB = ?
Tom Robinson Band?
Yes, Tom Robinson Band. I thought everyone know those particular initials! Can't imagine what other band would have claimed them, but if there was one, I'm sure I'll hear it about here. :mrgreen:
The Rollins Band ?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

white man wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 4:17pm
Chairman Ralph wrote:

TRB = ?
Tom Robinson Band?
The Rollins Band ?
The Rah Band.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 4:25pm
white man wrote:
Chairman Ralph wrote:

TRB = ?
Tom Robinson Band?
The Rollins Band ?
The Rah Band.
Teresa Requires Badgers
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 4:27pm
Marky Dread wrote:
white man wrote:
Chairman Ralph wrote:

TRB = ?
Tom Robinson Band?
The Rollins Band ?
The Rah Band.
Teresa Requires Badgers
Tasty Rutabagas, Bruh
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 4:46pm
Kory wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 4:27pm
Marky Dread wrote:
white man wrote:
Chairman Ralph wrote:

The Rollins Band ?
The Rah Band.
Teresa Requires Badgers
Tasty Rutabagas, Bruh
Totally Rubbish Boss

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Double Post
Last edited by NoMoreHugh on 04 Mar 2021, 5:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Chairman Ralph wrote:

Also the "II" in "Bad II" stood for two guitars. Mick was often saying this on stage and i remember at the time thinking that makes better sense than an unoriginal name of just adding a "II" appended to the name