Why did B.A.D. "disband"?

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
YoungParisians
Bang Ice Geezer

Why did B.A.D. "disband"?

Post by YoungParisians »

I couldn't find anything definitive online about why Mick vs the rest of B.A.D. parted ways. What was the reason for the personnel shake-up? And this would have been at the end of 1989 or early months of 1990?
Hello? Go ahead, man. Yeah I'd just like to say, um, lets have some music now, huh? Ok, ok...thank you.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Why did B.A.D. "disband"?

Post by Heston »

Very early in 1990 as far as I can tell.

I think Mick was taking the other band members for granted, even though they were putting more work in than ever. I think the band was also struggling a bit financially due to poor record sales. Reading between the lines, the rest of them effectively sacked Mick.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 3:11pm

I think Mick was taking the other band members for granted, even though they were putting more work in than ever. I think the band was also struggling a bit financially due to poor record sales. Reading between the lines, the rest of them effectively sacked Mick.
Which...ouch, given the fairly recent history.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Heston

Post by Heston »

Wolter wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 3:23pm
Heston wrote:

Maybe TeddyB can expand further. The split has always been shrouded in mystery and those are just the hints I picked up over the years.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 3:23pm
Heston wrote:

Wasn't he also chucked from a pre-Clash group, too? I mean, damn.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

I vividly remember hearing the rumour in the queue on the final night - which was an added date. It seemed very believable.

I seem to recall the Don Letts book talking about money. Perhaps naively, I didn't consider this as a factor at the time.

Don was present at the UK debut of BAD 2 at Ally Pally.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

MarkyJacobs wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 3:32pm
I vividly remember hearing the rumour in the queue on the final night - which was an added date. It seemed very believable.
Was that the show where Mick started things off by saying "I got a whole new bunch of friends, my old friends don't like me no more"? Don't remember what era that was but it always struck me as an odd thing to say unless there had been some sort of bust up.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Heston

Post by Heston »

From Don's book (not the new one)...

The band started to implode shortly after Megatop Phoenix. All the usual cliches and dramas, the creative and financial arguments that most bands go through, well, the bands that I like anyway. I'm suspicious of people who stay together too long.
It was an honour to have been in a band with Mick Jones, and to have written great songs with him, but even at the end I felt I was still in Joe Strummer's shadow. Joe had always kept the standards so high, I perpetually felt like I was splashing around in the shallows. Also, there were topics that, as a black man, I wanted to address in the songs and I could not really expect Mick to sing about those issues. It would not have sounded right.

YoungParisians
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by YoungParisians »

Heston wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 3:54pm
From Don's book (not the new one)...

The band started to implode shortly after Megatop Phoenix. All the usual cliches and dramas, the creative and financial arguments that most bands go through, well, the bands that I like anyway. I'm suspicious of people who stay together too long.
It was an honour to have been in a band with Mick Jones, and to have written great songs with him, but even at the end I felt I was still in Joe Strummer's shadow. Joe had always kept the standards so high, I perpetually felt like I was splashing around in the shallows. Also, there were topics that, as a black man, I wanted to address in the songs and I could not really expect Mick to sing about those issues. It would not have sounded right.
Must have been the 'financial arguments' if all the guys were on the same page except Mick.
Hello? Go ahead, man. Yeah I'd just like to say, um, lets have some music now, huh? Ok, ok...thank you.

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

Creative and financial arguments, it says. (Unfortunately I no longer have my copy.)

Don was always a bit rof a rave-sceptic, I think

Heston

Post by Heston »

MarkyJacobs wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 4:16pm
Creative and financial arguments, it says. (Unfortunately I no longer have my copy.)

He seemed happy to put those shorts on.

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

Heston wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 4:18pm
Probably the reason.

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

oliver wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 3:42pm

Was that the show where Mick started things off by saying "I got a whole new bunch of friends, my old friends don't like me no more"? Don't remember what era that was but it always struck me as an odd thing to say unless there had been some sort of bust up.
I don't remember him saying that. There was an excitement about rhe Romanian revolution I think. It's a long time ago!
Last edited by MarkyJacobs on 02 Mar 2021, 4:53pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
MarkyJacobs wrote:

Don was jealous of Mick for looking better in his shorts. :shifty: :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 4:37pm
Heston wrote:
MarkyJacobs wrote:

Don was jealous of Mick for looking better in his shorts. :shifty: :mrgreen:
I've got the Megatop Phoenix LP. Mick looked better than no man in his shorts.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/