Welcome To Badrock City

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Welcome To Badrock City

Post by Marky Dread »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 2:06pm
Telecaster wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 12:13pm
Just one more thing, the Megatop tracks sound really punchy.
Union Jack and Rewind sounded great pumped up.

It was quite exciting back when the album was originally released, to hear Mick playing noisey guitar again, especially on Union, Jack. Cheers Marky.
Thanks mate. Megatop Phoenix is on my list to remaster. It's such a great album that has truly grown on me over the years.
I think the album has some great tracks that suffer a bit when listened to as part of the album. Obviously the daisy age feel of the album put together like one long party with the samples was hard for some to get their head around.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 2:09pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Telecaster wrote:

It was quite exciting back when the album was originally released, to hear Mick playing noisey guitar again, especially on Union, Jack. Cheers Marky.
Thanks mate. Megatop Phoenix is on my list to remaster. It's such a great album that has truly grown on me over the years.
I think the album has some great tracks that suffer a bit when listened to as part of the album. Obviously the daisy age feel of the album put together like one long party with the samples was hard for some to get their head around.
Yeah. I think my problem is that while I like the high points, there’s a lot in there that doesn’t do anything for me divorced from a dance floor. And I’m almost always divorced from a dance floor.

But yeah, a punchier remaster might help with that.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 8:12pm
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 6:06pm
Your list is damn close to what mine would be, notably almost exact from the third and fourth albums. The songs from the first are more obviously the right ones. For Upping St. I would choose Hollywood Blvd. over Limbo but I get it. The others are perfect.
The only track really missing for me is "Free" which I adore. But obviously it's on the movie soundtrack not the run of 4 albums. What a fantastic band.
LOL re Free. Of course I would want it on there too but your choices are from the albums. Otherwise, I would probably have snuck in Dog in a Satellite (and maybe one or two other uncirculating tracks).

I also prefer the original mix of V-13 over what Mick calls the “video mix”, which the replacement one was originally done for.

My thoughts are that the singles from albums three and four detracted from opinions of the quality of the records. Just Play Music and Contact were each too simple for the expectations then of a band featuring Mick Jones and a couple of rastas. Additionally, James Brown was never my favorite track from Megatop. Other 99 is a good one though, and was always a good live number.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I wonder what the third single from Tighten Up would have been if Mick hadn't got ill? Applecart for me. Though they played Hip, Neck and Thigh on kids tv, maybe that was in the pipeline.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

24 Mar 2021, 4:10pm
Marky Dread wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 8:12pm
23 Mar 2021, 6:06pm
Your list is damn close to what mine would be, notably almost exact from the third and fourth albums. The songs from the first are more obviously the right ones. For Upping St. I would choose Hollywood Blvd. over Limbo but I get it. The others are perfect.
The only track really missing for me is "Free" which I adore. But obviously it's on the movie soundtrack not the run of 4 albums. What a fantastic band.
LOL re Free. Of course I would want it on there too but your choices are from the albums. Otherwise, I would probably have snuck in Dog in a Satellite (and maybe one or two other uncirculating tracks).

I also prefer the original mix of V-13 over what Mick calls the “video mix”, which the replacement one was originally done for.

My thoughts are that the singles from albums three and four detracted from opinions of the quality of the records. Just Play Music and Contact were each too simple for the expectations then of a band featuring Mick Jones and a couple of rastas. Additionally, James Brown was never my favorite track from Megatop. Other 99 is a good one though, and was always a good live number.
Yeah I feel that they chose the more pop oriented tracks for singles from Tighten Up.
Whereas previously they were more alt rock/dance.

I wish there was a great big BAD box set like Sound System.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 3:11pm
Marky Dread wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 2:09pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Telecaster wrote:

Yeah. I think my problem is that while I like the high points, there’s a lot in there that doesn’t do anything for me divorced from a dance floor. And I’m almost always divorced from a dance floor.

But yeah, a punchier remaster might help with that.
Yeah it was a big shift in style also. It took me some time to appreciate it.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 4:28pm
I wonder what the third single from Tighten Up would have been if Mick hadn't got ill? Applecart for me. Though they played Hip, Neck and Thigh on kids tv, maybe that was in the pipeline.
Yeah that's quite possible. Although I think it's weaker than most of the album a remixed "Rock Non Stop (All Night Long)" would've worked as a single.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 4:43pm
Heston wrote:
Yeah that's quite possible. Although I think it's weaker than most of the album a remixed "Rock Non Stop (All Night Long)" would've worked as a single.
I think they were quite spoiled for choice on that album. A lot of very commercial songs. I reckon only 2000 Shoes and the title track lack the melodic clout to have been a single. Champagne is insanely catchy.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 4:54pm
Marky Dread wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 4:43pm
Heston wrote:
I think they were quite spoiled for choice on that album. A lot of very commercial songs. I reckon only 2000 Shoes and the title track lack the melodic clout to have been a single. Champagne is insanely catchy.
Yep agreed. It's a very pop orientated record. Brilliant tunes.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Oh but the title track is so good. Great melancholy Mick melody, one of BADs best lyrics.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 5:09pm
Oh but the title track is so good. Great melancholy Mick melody, one of BADs best lyrics.
Totally. It's a brilliant song in its own kind of way, just maybe not a single.

Heston

Post by Heston »

And let's not forget "Much Worse" was one of the catchiest things they ever wrote. Should have been on the album.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 6:53pm
And let's not forget "Much Worse" was one of the catchiest things they ever wrote. Should have been on the album.
Great fun that track. Also thought it was strange how they made loads of different 12" mixes for the first two albums but not much for Tighten Up. A track like "The Battle of All Saints Road" is surely crying out for different mixes. I guess Mick's hospitalization put paid to that.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

I do miss Dial A Hitman. Though it probably doesn't belong on a best of. "Film" dialogue written mostly by Joe.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

25 Mar 2021, 8:56pm
I do miss Dial A Hitman. Though it probably doesn't belong on a best of. "Film" dialogue written mostly by Joe.
It's great that track but that weird off beat thing is annoying.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia