Megatop Phoenix remaster

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Megatop Phoenix remaster

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 5:06pm
I'm in the lab with it now. Two days off work so I have some vials of bubbling liquid on the go.

Yes, we have had tea and biscuits! 🤣

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 11:47am
Getting a chance to download this now (and haven't had a chance to listen to your BAD best of comps yet either, gonna be a BAD weekend coming up for me I think) - thanks man! This one has never really resonated with me, but I'm looking forward to giving it some fresh ears with one of your superb mixes and just seeing if there's some more I can pick out that I'll enjoy. In any case, I appreciate you turning your attention to the BAD catalog, if ever there was Clash-adjacent body of work in need of some love...
Cheers Flex, I hope you enjoy them.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Yes, these guitars are much LOUDER! Yes!

Did a quick a/b test on Dragon Town and it's insane how much more volume you've gained on the guitars. Are you using any extraction methods similar to BB? If not it's a helluva job if it's just through remastering.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 5:21pm

Did a quick a/b test on Dragon Town and it's insane how much more volume you've gained on the guitars. Are you using any extraction methods similar to BB? If not it's a helluva job if it's just through remastering.
I only like to mix what is already available in the original mix. With the CtC stuff Gerald and you have done recently it's great as those tracks were lacking. Same with bb putting different drums on Mr. Walker.

Personally I don't want to take anything away from the band if its there to use. I don't extract any individual instrument because for one thing I don't use the software capable of doing it.

Over the years I've devoloped lots of techniques to bring out various sounds in a mix. It's taken a shit ton of work and a lot of fucking stuff up to get results. I work and approach this stuff in a very unorthodox way. My biggest asset is having a good set of ears and a feel for how something should sound.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 5:38pm
Heston wrote:

I only like to mix what is already available in the original mix. With the CtC stuff Gerald and you have done recently it's great as those tracks were lacking. Same with bb putting different drums on Mr. Walker.

Personally I don't want to take anything away from the band if its there to use. I don't extract any individual instrument because for one thing I don't use the software capable of doing it.

Over the years I've devoloped lots of techniques to bring out various sounds in a mix. It's taken a shit ton of work and a lot of fucking stuff up to get results. I work and approach this stuff in a very unorthodox way. My biggest asset is having a good set of ears and a feel for how something should sound.
Just to be clear, by "extracting" I meant taking something away and laying it back over the track louder. Obviously nothing should be taken out of the mix completely. I probably worded that wrong.

You're getting incredible results mate, however you're doing it. Keep up the great work.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 5:46pm
Marky Dread wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 5:38pm
Heston wrote:

Just to be clear, by "extracting" I meant taking something away and laying it back over the track louder. Obviously nothing should be taken out of the mix completely. I probably worded that wrong.

You're getting incredible results mate, however you're doing it. Keep up the great work.
No I never remove (extract) a sound (instrument) and lay it back in the mix. But I do have a couple of other methods that enable me to pull up certain sounds within a mix.

Cheers for the positive words mate it's appreciated.😎

The golden rule of remastering for me is NEVER mix stuff too loud. Adjust the volume after the mix sounds good if required.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Hey Marky. Listening to this right now. Sounds great. It changes, but at the moment this might be my favorite BAD album. I usually put it on repeat and don’t turn it off until I notice that I’ve heard James Brown 3 or 4 times. Thanks!
It's all ball bearings nowadays. - Irwin M. Fletcher

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kimmelweck wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 9:06pm
Hey Marky. Listening to this right now. Sounds great. It changes, but at the moment this might be my favorite BAD album. I usually put it on repeat and don’t turn it off until I notice that I’ve heard James Brown 3 or 4 times. Thanks!
Cheers mate, it's underrated but it will never be everybody's cup of tea. I think it was a brave move to adapt the bands sound. I like the idea they felt that they could tackle different sounds and styles. Much like The Clash everything was accessible.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

I was looking at the wikipedia entry for MP and under technical personnel it lists Andy Strange as the 'compilation assistant'
Anyone have any idea what that really means?

As an aside, Union Jack --> Contact --> Dragon Town might be my favourite 3 song run on any BAD album. In fact, if you lost 'Is Yours Working Yet' and 'Mick's a Hippie Burning,' Union Jack --> The Green Lady would almost be a 'Best Of' for me (although 'Is Yours Working Yet' and 'Micks a Hippie Burning' both work well in the context of the album as a whole)
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

oliver wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 9:30am
I was looking at the wikipedia entry for MP and under technical personnel it lists Andy Strange as the 'compilation assistant'
Anyone have any idea what that really means?

As an aside, Union Jack --> Contact --> Dragon Town might be my favourite 3 song run on any BAD album. In fact, if you lost 'Is Yours Working Yet' and 'Mick's a Hippie Burning,' Union Jack --> The Green Lady would almost be a 'Best Of' for me (although 'Is Yours Working Yet' and 'Micks a Hippie Burning' both work well in the context of the album as a whole)
Normally a technical assistant is someone who maintains and manages studio equipment or instruments while inspecting them to ensure quality assurance.

In this case it's possible that he was also responsible for listing the samples the band used to compile the record. A guess.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Sounds like maybe he was the guy who knitted all the songs together on a technical level before the mastering stage. Remember there were no gaps between the songs.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 11:42am
Sounds like maybe he was the guy who knitted all the songs together on a technical level before the mastering stage. Remember there were no gaps between the songs.
Yep that's possible. Maybe he was an asistant to Bill Price.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Yeah - that makes sense. I'd never really thought about that part of the process before.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

oliver wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 9:30am

As an aside, Union Jack --> Contact --> Dragon Town might be my favourite 3 song run on any BAD album.
Same -- I think Megatop's my favourite BAD album start to finish. Looking forward to hearing what Marky's done with it. 😎

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

1989-strength ecstasy can be easily found on the darkweb. Or so I'm told. :shock: