Rob Peter Pay Paul

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Re: Rob Peter Pay Paul

Post by NoMoreHugh »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
08 Mar 2022, 10:47pm
No, it was originally an outtake from Tighten Up Vol. 88.
Do we know how many more other unheard outtake tracks exist for tighten as well as all the other albums including Bad II. I mean i dont want an accurate listing of course but would there be enough for a whole album ? or maybe more ?

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 6:40am
Do we know how many more other unheard outtake tracks exist for tighten as well as all the other albums including Bad II. I mean i dont want an accurate listing of course but would there be enough for a whole album ? or maybe more ?
I'm pretty sure Poontang was recorded. Also Return of the Great Mazuma must have had at least a demo recorded.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Heston wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 7:01am
NoMoreHugh wrote:
I'm pretty sure Poontang was recorded. Also Return of the Great Mazuma must have had at least a demo recorded.
Yeah that makes sense seeing as US North got recorded Poontang must have done. I wonder if 1999 did as well ?. I am really interested in knowing if there is like albums worth of BAD material that could be released knowing just how prolific a song writer Mick is. He wasnt too generous on the number of tracks they released was he not like when he was in the clash.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 10:15am
Heston wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 7:01am
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Yeah that makes sense seeing as US North got recorded Poontang must have done. I wonder if 1999 did as well ?. I am really interested in knowing if there is like albums worth of BAD material that could be released knowing just how prolific a song writer Mick is. He wasnt too generous on the number of tracks they released was he not like when he was in the clash.
I have no doubt there will be plenty of unreleased stuff in Mick's collection.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

I was lucky enough to see them play both US North and Poontang live (Manchester International, February 1987). They both stood out for me, so I was disappointed they didn't get released back then.

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

laxman wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 2:31pm
I was lucky enough to see them play both US North and Poontang live (Manchester International, February 1987). They both stood out for me, so I was disappointed they didn't get released back then.
Yeah great times i saw them do those songs too at the Astoria London i probably still have the ticket somewhere in the loft :mrgreen: how sad am i :)
i cant remember the date though i think it was May so i am guessing 87 too

Again i can only echo your thoughts those two songs left me with a big impression too.

Did you see them on the first tour when they did Medicine show twice one was opening one was ending but called the encore version A fistful of miami vice. Bad made a massive impression on me and my whole life but i think i like them just as much now as i did back then and that includes Bad II which sound even better now to me . Yeah they get played everyday in this house.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
31 Mar 2022, 2:02pm
Yeah great times i saw them do those songs too at the Astoria London
That (or one of them if there were more than one) was my second ever gig (first was Big Country at Hammersmith Odeon.) I remember singing "Poontang poontang da da da" the next day without having any clue what it meant. My parents must not have known either.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
laxman wrote:
Yeah great times i saw them do those songs too at the Astoria London i probably still have the ticket somewhere in the loft :mrgreen: how sad am i :)

Again i can only echo your thoughts those two songs left me with a big impression too.

Did you see them on the first tour when they did Medicine show twice one was opening one was ending but called the encore version A fistful of miami vice. Bad made a massive impression on me and my whole life but i think i like them just as much now as i did back then and that includes Bad II which sound even better now to me . Yeah they get played everyday in this house.
3 March 1987, so a week after I saw them. I think I still have my ticket somewhere too!

I didn't see them on the earlier tour unfortunately but I have heard some recordings.

Deny kindly gave me some CD singles recently, so I have been listening to them. He is a kind, generous chap (he told me to say :) )

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

laxman wrote:
31 Mar 2022, 3:21pm
NoMoreHugh wrote:
laxman wrote:

3 March 1987, so a week after I saw them. I think I still have my ticket somewhere too!

I didn't see them on the earlier tour unfortunately but I have heard some recordings.

Deny kindly gave me some CD singles recently, so I have been listening to them. He is a kind, generous chap (he told me to say :) )
you are right It was March now you mention it.

As soon as i heard US North i just knew that was a potential hit and i was gutted like probably you were too when it never got used or released until only recently . Its one of my favourite BAD songs and i cant understand why it wasn't on the album and in my opinion that album struggles a little for more songs like it with its instant likeability. Even the V13 had an inferior mix put on the album and i liked it for the different mixes as hollywood boulevard was similar but i never thought that album felt polished or complete like the other ones did. I still like it though but it would have benefitted a lot if poontang and US North was added.

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Test

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Can anyone repost the 'US North' edits and remixes done by Marky and Heston in FLAC? I downloaded them at the time, but seem to have lost them.

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

oliver wrote:
31 Mar 2022, 3:20pm
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Yeah great times i saw them do those songs too at the Astoria London
That (or one of them if there were more than one) was my second ever gig (first was Big Country at Hammersmith Odeon.) I remember singing "Poontang poontang da da da" the next day without having any clue what it meant. My parents must not have known either.
That is so similar to me with US North and the only word i knew was "sometimes " it was only later with the help of bootlegs i had a better idea what to hum. Thank god i didnt latch on to poontang in the same way

NigelJacobs
Corner Soul

Post by NigelJacobs »

Can someone help me with the chords, please? I'm sure it'll be easy once I know!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:

"Poontang" are you trying to "Wind Me Up". ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

NigelJacobs
Corner Soul

Post by NigelJacobs »

We had established that was a cover, hadn't we?