1992 VH1 Panel including Mick Jones

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: 1992 VH1 Panel including Mick Jones

Post by Marky Dread »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 1:09pm
Marky Dread wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 11:30am
NoMoreHugh wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 7:15am
oliver wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 8:15pm
NoMoreHugh wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 3:45am
I didn't see any attempts of humour there he was definitely serious in that comment. I kind of know what he was trying to say even though i dont agree with the comment. I also think that this was a while back when Rap could have been at a more basic level like all new styles can be and before they can be improved,experimented on. Any totally new music introductions are always met with everyone saying they were there when in fact the majority of us all are Johnny come lately s and i would think Roger would have not taken any interest in that side of music at all to have discovered it in the late 80s. I guess what i am saying is if you asked roger the question today you would get a different answer.

I wish the interviewer had investigated that comment a little deeper and asked Roger what would he call it then.
I should have been a little more clear. It was his Village People comment I put down to a bad attempt at humour. I totally agree he's serious about rap not being music.

I was listening to Public Enemy in '88 and I'm nowhere near the forefront of anything. TBH, my parents said the same thing about it not being music but I guess I expect more of someone "in" music speaking 4 years later.
Oh you are certainly right on the button when you say old fashioned. I think Who fans would call them purists but i think the Who were in a bubble as so many bands of the early 70s were and totally pretentious.
Now i love the who music but if you watch this live performance and see the over the top dramatic actions of Roger Daltrey and Pete Townsend i really want to put my head in my hands and cringe. Its probably just me but this looks like what old fashioned drunk dads think how cool rock starts should act on stage. I am a big who fan as well but Thank god for the punk movement is all i can say. But a great song and they do sound amazing in this clip.

Damn it! I love that clip. Over the top and great I call it. I just see two old rockers getting into their performance nothing more.

I also think they've more than earned their right to have fun on stage.

As to Rogers's dumb comment on rap music that simply sucks and shows him to be out of touch. Fucking trout farmers talking about rap music!😉
See i knew it would be just me!. I think i saw the guitarist out of the slaves once said in an interview you haven't properly made it as a band until you become a cartoon caricature of yourself , I think this is probably right.

Talking of old farts i am seeing Hugh Cornwell play a gig at Norich Friday week that will be interesting not seen him solo before. Set 1 his own stuff set 2 stranglers stuff.

Something tells me this could be his last tour so i thought i would catch him while i have the chance.
Hugh is great, enjoy mate.😎

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: 1992 VH1 Panel including Mick Jones

Post by oliver »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 7:15am
Oh you are certainly right on the button when you say old fashioned. I think Who fans would call them purists but i think the Who were in a bubble as so many bands of the early 70s were and totally pretentious.
Now i love the who music but if you watch this live performance and see the over the top dramatic actions of Roger Daltrey and Pete Townsend i really want to put my head in my hands and cringe. Its probably just me but this looks like what old fashioned drunk dads think how cool rock starts should act on stage. I am a big who fan as well but Thank god for the punk movement is all i can say. But a great song and they do sound amazing in this clip.

Those are pretty much the moves my Dad would do across the living room whenever The Who came on the TV. I dread to think what he'd have been like with monstrous quantities of cocaine and everyone telling him he's the the greatest human being since Da Vinci so I do have to give them a pass here :)
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps