The "Rush" enigma

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Re: The "Rush" enigma

Post by Chairman Ralph »

I actually first heard that song on a bootleg tape that a friend of mine brought back from a UK trip -- so hearing that insane middle part was definitely a mindblowing experience! But it clicked with me right away. It's catchy and direct, one of Mick's best post-Clash moments, for sure. That one was the standout among the handful of newies that I heard on that tape.

Here in my neck of the woods, at least, both Rush and The Globe got a lot of attention and airplay, with and without the Clash connection. I think timing had a lot to do with it, as both dropped during that brief window when so many Brit acts could gain a bit of buzz and momentum, before "the chill of a post-Nirvana world" (to coin that memorable phrase from the Creation bio) set in.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Henrythegreen wrote:
06 Nov 2022, 1:49am
It’s popularity makes sense to me. It was the first song by anyone that prompted me to go out and buy an album. It stood out from everything else on the radio in regional Australia. Nothing was made of the clash connection, i only discovered that years later. You’ll still hear Rush and The Globe on mainstream radio here, more than anything by BAD1 or the Clash
It also came out at the time when mainstream stations were clamoring for everything "alternative." And having that connection to the Clash didn't hurt either.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

I was in high school when it came out and I can’t say it was particularly huge, but it got airplay and showed up on MTV. I definitely heard it much more after So I Married An Axe Murderer came out.

much like PiL around that same time, there was very little hay made of the former band on 120 Minutes interviews. I indeed had no idea about the connection yet because I was too young to listen to college radio stuff when the original lineup was at its peak. Oddly, it felt like they were talking a lot about it as a long-awaited comeback since their mid-80s peak, which makes sense, since I genuinely didn’t even know they had 3 other albums between the first one and the Globe for YEARS. They just weren’t talked about much.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

amj241
Dirty Punk

Post by amj241 »

My brother in law and I have complete opposite tastes in music and Rush is one of the only songs we both like. He refers to it as “that one song from Big Daddy” though :rolleyes:

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Sometimes I stare at the sky and wonder is Doc is listening to Moving Pictures or Hemispheres. Maybe it's a popper of a night and 2112 is on the ole turntable.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
08 Nov 2022, 8:29pm
Sometimes I stare at the sky and wonder is Doc is listening to Moving Pictures or Hemispheres. Maybe it's a popper of a night and 2112 is on the ole turntable.

Late entry for post of the year, lmao
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

deny
Long Time Jerk

Post by deny »

I remember Rush being a huge hit in Australia when I was there in 91/2.
It was played in all the clubs sometimes several times a night. The Globe was very popular too.
I caught up with BAD Il when they played Selina's Coogee Bay Hotel in Sydney.
It was a great time - the Clash had finally got a number one in the UK, BAD were big in Aus & NZ & Leeds United were winning the league.
Joining the Street Parade

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:

It's a real pick 'em which I hate more: you or Rush. :angry:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Have any of you ever seen this? It's really interesting, he breaks down the song with all the samples

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

coffeepotman wrote:
09 Nov 2022, 9:49am
Have any of you ever seen this? It's really interesting, he breaks down the song with all the samples
I was expecting to dislike him because he looks like he's intimate with the entire back catalogue of Limp Bizkit but the enthusiasm is infectious.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
08 Nov 2022, 8:32pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:

Late entry for post of the year, lmao
Never have I been happier to return to a website at the right time.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

coffeepotman wrote:
09 Nov 2022, 9:49am
Oh that’s cool. Had no idea that was a Pigmeat Markham break.

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Nov 2022, 7:28am
BostonBeaneater wrote:

After I got that nice Christmas sweater for you?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
09 Nov 2022, 1:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:

Is it too late for me to convert to Judaism? Jen, can you sponsor me or sprinkle me with Manischewitz?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Nov 2022, 1:52pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
09 Nov 2022, 1:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:

Is it too late for me to convert to Judaism? Jen, can you sponsor me or sprinkle me with Manischewitz?
I give a smile and nod to the great Jewish People of Canada. I could not find a Rush yarmulke on the internet.