Don Letts solo Album coming soon

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Don Letts solo Album coming soon

Post by Marky Dread »

motorsmell wrote:
29 Sep 2023, 2:51pm
Marky Dread wrote:
29 Sep 2023, 2:31pm
motorsmell wrote:
29 Sep 2023, 1:45pm
Well the cd finally arrived today, I've got to say it's pretty good reggae, Don offering up some decent singing too! Shame about the Terry Hall thing and the weird vinyl cancellations...I wonder what's gone wrong...sure I pre ordered this last year! If it does ever make it to vinyl I may pick it up...
I got sent two signed cds. Terry is on The Doorman I think. Was supposed to be on The Universe Knows... which has John Cussack on it. It's a solid album that I give 8/10.
Is he listed on one of your cds? Not on mine, or can you hear him on the chorus or something, wasn't listening out for him as I presumed he was gone completely
I can hear him in the background on The Doorman.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

motorsmell wrote:
29 Sep 2023, 2:51pm
Marky Dread wrote:
29 Sep 2023, 2:31pm
motorsmell wrote:
29 Sep 2023, 1:45pm
Well the cd finally arrived today, I've got to say it's pretty good reggae, Don offering up some decent singing too! Shame about the Terry Hall thing and the weird vinyl cancellations...I wonder what's gone wrong...sure I pre ordered this last year! If it does ever make it to vinyl I may pick it up...
I got sent two signed cds. Terry is on The Doorman I think. Was supposed to be on The Universe Knows... which has John Cussack on it. It's a solid album that I give 8/10.
Is he listed on one of your cds? Not on mine, or can you hear him on the chorus or something, wasn't listening out for him as I presumed he was gone completely
He is listed but only at the back of the booklet where it names the performers on each of the tracks. He didn't get a "featured" reference on the tracklisting. This threw me too, until Marky straightened me out!

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Huh. I guess something did happen with Terry on the other track since I heard it.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
29 Sep 2023, 4:38pm
Huh. I guess something did happen with Terry on the other track since I heard it.
He was supposed to be on "The Universe Knows What You've Done" but that has got John Cussack on the extra vocal. But I'm convinced you can still hear some Terry vocal in the backing of "The Doorman".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

Just found a signed 7inch of Outta Sync remixes on discogs for £15 Ltd to 300...justincase

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Don must be pissed about the vinyl. I mean the lead off single says I'm from the vinyl generation.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

laxman wrote:
01 Oct 2023, 2:28pm
That was good, thanks for sharing it.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Sparky wrote:
01 Oct 2023, 2:57pm
laxman wrote:
01 Oct 2023, 2:28pm
That was good, thanks for sharing it.
Yeah great stuff!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Don is still cool as fuck at nearly 70.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
02 Oct 2023, 9:38am
Don is still cool as fuck at nearly 70.
Rich people with bus passes.

Don is great. You either got it baby or you ain't.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Yeah great interview and No Fooling Me is a beautiful track off the album

When Dons says he's famously someone who cant play any instruments how does that work on a solo album ? With Big Audio Dynamite its fairly clear how that worked with him having only ideas etc he would write lyrics maybe add a tune by singing ideas from his head direct and inspire mick with how they maybe should present a song they have worked on. A talent like Mick he would be brilliant at interpretation and putting that to the song sheet.

If you are Solo artist how do you explain to session players like Bass , Guitar drummer how they should play their instruments and sound? I am just thinking that software driven music must be very limited.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
05 Oct 2023, 5:14am

When Dons says he's famously someone who cant play any instruments how does that work on a solo album ? With Big Audio Dynamite its fairly clear how that worked with him having only ideas etc he would write lyrics maybe add a tune by singing ideas from his head direct and inspire mick with how they maybe should present a song they have worked on. A talent like Mick he would be brilliant at interpretation and putting that to the song sheet.

If you are Solo artist how do you explain to session players like Bass , Guitar drummer how they should play their instruments and sound? I am just thinking that software driven music must be very limited.
As a non musician I have no idea, but however they did it, it worked! Youth plays bass on a few of the tracks, so I guess that might have helped. I think he knows what he is doing :)

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
05 Oct 2023, 3:34pm
NoMoreHugh wrote:

As a non musician I have no idea, but however they did it, it worked! Youth plays bass on a few of the tracks, so I guess that might have helped. I think he knows what he is doing :)
You don't tell them how to play only what sounds you like. Like minded people click and understand the feel of music.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Marky Dread wrote:
05 Oct 2023, 3:38pm
laxman wrote:
05 Oct 2023, 3:34pm
NoMoreHugh wrote:

You don't tell them how to play only what sounds you like. Like minded people click and understand the feel of music.
It sounds better and better on regular playing, so I definitely think they clicked!