Funky Mick

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Funky Mick

Post by bazarboy75 »

does anyone know what kind of funk aka early hip hop artists Mick started listening to in the early 80's ?
Obviously Grandmaster flash sugar hil and he also quotes Kurtis Blow, but who else?
And more generally what The Clash listened to to incorporate this style into their music ?

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Funky Mick

Post by Kimmelweck »

bazarboy75 wrote:
28 Jan 2023, 5:36am
does anyone know what kind of funk aka early hip hop artists Mick started listening to in the early 80's ?
Obviously Grandmaster flash sugar hil and he also quotes Kurtis Blow, but who else?
And more generally what The Clash listened to to incorporate this style into their music ?
Maybe DJ Hollywood? I know Kurtis Blow has mentioned him as an influence/originator of hip-hop style rapping and use of turntables in the late 70s, and Mick covered Um Tang (from 1986 I think) with B.A.D. Don’t know for sure, but Mick seemed pretty dialed in to the scene and probably would have known about DJ Hollywood early on.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by bazarboy75 »

DJ Hollywood definitly

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I'm similarly interested in what records they were hearing when they made Let's Go Crazy, a lot of that organic late-70s soca is hard to find now.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
30 Jan 2023, 3:48pm
I'm similarly interested in what records they were hearing when they made Let's Go Crazy, a lot of that organic late-70s soca is hard to find now.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia