Big Audio Dynamite Box Set

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Big Audio Dynamite Box Set

Post by Marky Dread »

Whiteman was working on a 2 dvd set that included all of B.A.D. TV appearances he told me it was almost complete just before IMCT went down i've sent him a couple of old video cassettes i've had over 20 years so i hope he gets back in touch here soon and returns my tapes.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by bazarboy75 »

Marky Dread wrote: i've sent him a couple of old video cassettes i've had over 20 years so i hope he gets back in touch here soon and returns my tapes.

oooppps

Don't be worry buddy
A clash/bad fan can't be a thief

That's reminds me that i have send a VHs to José few months ago :mrgreen:
JOSE !! JOSE !! Where are you ??

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I can send White Man a PM on the Sunderland supporters forum that he and I frequent. I'll let you know Marky.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Received today, a nice little package to replace the worn vinyl/tape/mp3.
I know BAD get a lot of stick on here for crimes like being too dated. This doesn't wash with me. They didn't sound dated when it was actually happening, I mean it was the '80s for fuck's sake, there wasn't much else out there post-Live Aid. What defines dated anyway? The Beatles are dated, the Pistols are dated, the Smiths are dated, last week's new thing is dated.

I've been listening to them tonight with a few beers, so here's my drunken appraisal:

This is Big Audio Dynamite

Untouchable album, it rose above Cut the Crap (they were released a week apart) like a leaping salmon. Was also a Bona Fide hit with the British Public, a feat CTC never came close to. Lyrically the best BAD album, and anyone who can't dig E=MC2 is dead in my opinion. Minus points for the bass being mixed so low, hopefully a future remaster will put this right.

No. 10 Upping St.

Songwise, half good to great, half average. The sequenced drums suited the first album, but a few of the rockier songs like Beyond the Pale, Beatbox and V13 were crying out for a real band treatment. I wish a fit Topper was on hand for this album.

Tighten Up

I actually think this has the best song structure, melodies, guitar-playing and singing of all the BAD albums. The lyrics are the problem, they're a bit banal on a few of the songs, though stuff like Battle of All Saints Road and Tighten Up have fantastic lyrics. Again, they're hamstrung by the electro drums, which do songs like Esquerita no sevice whatsoever.

Megatop Phoenix

A cracker, the sound of a late '80s drug party in Northern England.
This was the one where the band clicked in places they'd never clicked before, a near rival to the first album. It just flows along brilliantly, though minus points for Mick's voice not being what it was on the earlier albums, his bout of pneumonia had taken its toll on the vocal cords.

The Globe

I don't really like BAD II, but Can't Wait is a good song, especially the version that was released on Kool-Aid. A disappointing album, sounds unfinished.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

bazarboy75 wrote:
Marky Dread wrote: i've sent him a couple of old video cassettes i've had over 20 years so i hope he gets back in touch here soon and returns my tapes.

oooppps

Don't be worry buddy
A clash/bad fan can't be a thief

That's reminds me that i have send a VHs to José few months ago :mrgreen:
JOSE !! JOSE !! Where are you ??
No worries there bazarboy75 I know he'll be back this way shortly cheers.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:I can send White Man a PM on the Sunderland supporters forum that he and I frequent. I'll let you know Marky.
Cheers Heston that would be appreciated, your Captain Sensible disc is ready for you unfortunately i've been unable to post it due to damaging my back (fell down some stairs) will post tomorrow (friday) sorry for delay.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:Received today, a nice little package to replace the worn vinyl/tape/mp3.
I know BAD get a lot of stick on here for crimes like being too dated. This doesn't wash with me. They didn't sound dated when it was actually happening, I mean it was the '80s for fuck's sake, there wasn't much else out there post-Live Aid. What defines dated anyway? The Beatles are dated, the Pistols are dated, the Smiths are dated, last week's new thing is dated.

I've been listening to them tonight with a few beers, so here's my drunken appraisal:

Untouchable album, it rose above Cut the Crap (they were released a week apart) like a leaping salmon. Was also a Bona Fide hit with the British Public, a feat CTC never came close to. Lyrically the best BAD album, and anyone who can't dig E=MC2 is dead in my opinion. Minus points for the bass being mixed so low, hopefully a future remaster will put this right.

No. 10 Upping St.

Songwise, half good to great, half average. The sequenced drums suited the first album, but a few of the rockier songs like Beyond the Pale, Beatbox and V13 were crying out for a real band treatment. I wish a fit Topper was on hand for this album.

Tighten Up

I actually think this has the best song structure, melodies, guitar-playing and singing of all the BAD albums. The lyrics are the problem, they're a bit banal on a few of the songs, though stuff like Battle of All Saints Road and Tighten Up have fantastic lyrics. Again, they're hamstrung by the electro drums, which do songs like Esquerita no sevice whatsoever.

Megatop Phoenix

This was the one where the band clicked in places they'd never clicked before, a near rival to the first album. It just flows along brilliantly, though minus points for Mick's voice not being what it was on the earlier albums, his bout of pneumonia had taken its toll on the vocal cords.

The Globe

I don't really like BAD II, but Can't Wait is a good song, especially the version that was released on Kool-Aid. A disappointing album, sounds unfinished.

Good reviews I agree, you should have written for the NME, MELODY MAKER os SOUNDS then BAD might have had more success. To be fair they were criminally underated at times, whilst Mick's approach of throwing in everything even the kitchen sink was a bit over the top on some tracks I feel he/they desreve more credit fot the effort they made in breaking new ground and you are spot on with your view of No.10 Upping St. needed real drums to give it that full Rock 'N' Roll sound, It's a shame that Joe Strummer took so long to start digging the new.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:Received today, a nice little package to replace the worn vinyl/tape/mp3.

No. 10 Upping St.

Tighten Up

Megatop Phoenix

The Globe

Good reviews I agree, you should have written for the NME, MELODY MAKER os SOUNDS then BAD might have had more success. To be fair they were criminally underated at times, whilst Mick's approach of throwing in everything even the kitchen sink was a bit over the top on some tracks I feel he/they desreve more credit fot the effort they made in breaking new ground and you are spot on with your view of No.10 Upping St. needed real drums to give it that full Rock 'N' Roll sound, It's a shame that Joe Strummer took so long to start digging the new.
No. 10 Upping Street is one of my all time favorites. It had great songs and better lyrics than TIB, because of the Joe/Mick songwriting reunion.
But some of the drum tracks sounded similar to CTC. Real drums definitely would've improved on an already
brilliant album.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

daredevil wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

No. 10 Upping St.

Tighten Up

Megatop Phoenix

The Globe

No. 10 Upping Street is one of my all time favorites. It had great songs and better lyrics than TIB, because of the Joe/Mick songwriting reunion.
But some of the drum tracks sounded similar to CTC. Real drums definitely would've improved on an already
brilliant album.
Yeah, kind of too bad they're hosed on reissue potential because of the idiotic industry copyright nanny state over samples. In addition to those albums benefiting from a good remaster I would think B.A.D. albums in general have copious remix/rearrange/rip-it-out-and-replace potential that could fix some of the problems like the tinny drum machine sound on No. 10. It wouldn't be an ugly hack at all...the band has already put a lot of singles and other nuggets through the blender for interesting alt mixes, and the way the songs are constructed "modular" (for lack of a better word) lends itself well to that approach without need to re-record anything. Even Joe lamented that No. 10 could've gone from very good to great if the percussion sounded more realistic...that's the one I'd most like to hear a 2CD deluxe refresh of.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

that's the one I'd most like to hear a 2CD deluxe refresh of.

Yeah baby!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

If any record company marketers ever scan message boards for research purpose: I would put good money down for remastered/remixed BAD.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:If any record company marketers ever scan message boards for research purpose: I would put good money down for remastered/remixed BAD.
My understanding is that they only go online to find customers to sue or put in jail.

This is all wishful thinking, tho. Copyright laws are getting more absurd rather than less.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

esmark
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by esmark »

Wolter wrote:If any record company marketers ever scan message boards for research purpose: I would put good money down for remastered/remixed BAD.
ahem.... just got an e-mail from a Sony dude saying they're investigating the possibilities of remastering the BAD albums... not BAD II... But when... that's the big question.

Heard anything 'bout this TeddyB?????

or are they just getting fed up with me sending the annoying e-mails asking about this....

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

esmark wrote:
ahem.... just got an e-mail from a Sony dude saying they're investigating the possibilities of remastering the BAD albums...
All it took was one comment from me.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Wolter wrote:
esmark wrote:
ahem.... just got an e-mail from a Sony dude saying they're investigating the possibilities of remastering the BAD albums...
All it took was one comment from me.
I almost hope they don't do it now just to learn ya somethin'.

Nah, this news is (to quote) interesting if true.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!