Big Audio Dynamite - F Punk

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Big Audio Dynamite - F Punk

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:What's a good, representative LCD Soundsystem song?
Not totally representative but "Drunk Girls" is a fantastic song.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:What's a good, representative LCD Soundsystem song?
Not totally representative but "Drunk Girls" is a fantastic song.
That's fun. I like it.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

SteveSatch
Junco Partner

Post by SteveSatch »

Higher Power and F-Punk have such different styles it's funny to think of them combined into one release. I agree that the rough mixes/demos of F-Punk sounded better than the proper release, but that's going off of memory. I haven't heard them in years. Regarding Mick's vocals on F-Punk,I think they're fine, but perhaps it says something that on the next BAD release he didn't sing the lead vocals.
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:Several good songs and some good Mick lyrics somewhat undone by the mix (thus the comparison to CTC). I've told the story before about how management and record company screw-ups kept this from being a more dynamic record with a better track list. Kurfirst could not come to a rich enough deal with Columbia to basically combine Higher Power and F-Punk's initial tracks (the rock ones, basically), which Columbia had pitched to do. Seymour Stein's leaving Sire then left BAD available for Gary's label at MCA. By the time things were in place, Mick had rethought the original concept ("Punk") and the mixes never sounded better than the roughs. Of course, we know how MCA treated the group after that. Gary loved Mick though. Try is a good one too - especially the mono mix. The stereo is too mock-Beatles '65.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

SteveSatch wrote:Higher Power and F-Punk have such different styles it's funny to think of them combined into one release. I agree that the rough mixes/demos of F-Punk sounded better than the proper release, but that's going off of memory. I haven't heard them in years.
The F-Punk demos are out there somewhere?!?
SteveSatch wrote:perhaps it says something that on the next BAD release he didn't sing the lead vocals.
Whoever that singer is, he turned the album into a Richard Simmons workout compilation
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

I like F-Punk very much. Yes, the mix has its moments of muddiness, but when given proper play on a proper sound system with high volume the sound is fine. The album has some great songs for me, Singapore rocks, great riff, fabulous. A couple of the songs are, for me, not my favorites but overall I like this one very much, plenty of riffs and interesting sounds. I like Higher Power as well, I like all the big audio albums for what they are, pieces of the eras they were created by a band/artist I very much love. The experience of the albums as a whole, starting with Megatop, as sort of like one long stream, as opposed to a group of songs, is big for me, I like each of the albums and can listen to any of them at any time. I like the sampling aspect of big audio as well, they always come up with interesting stuff. I don't really compare them to the other big audio albums because to me each album has its own feel, the bands were always evolving, and I appreciate the differences along with the similarities. F-Punk for me has its place in the big audio catalog and I like it very much.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

weller259 wrote:I like F-Punk very much. Yes, the mix has its moments of muddiness, but when given proper play on a proper sound system with high volume the sound is fine. The album has some great songs for me, Singapore rocks, great riff, fabulous. A couple of the songs are, for me, not my favorites but overall I like this one very much, plenty of riffs and interesting sounds. I like Higher Power as well, I like all the big audio albums for what they are, pieces of the eras they were created by a band/artist I very much love. The experience of the albums as a whole, starting with Megatop, as sort of like one long stream, as opposed to a group of songs, is big for me, I like each of the albums and can listen to any of them at any time. I like the sampling aspect of big audio as well, they always come up with interesting stuff. I don't really compare them to the other big audio albums because to me each album has its own feel, the bands were always evolving, and I appreciate the differences along with the similarities. F-Punk for me has its place in the big audio catalog and I like it very much.
Yeah what he said.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Marky Dread wrote:
weller259 wrote:I like F-Punk very much. Yes, the mix has its moments of muddiness, but when given proper play on a proper sound system with high volume the sound is fine. The album has some great songs for me, Singapore rocks, great riff, fabulous. A couple of the songs are, for me, not my favorites but overall I like this one very much, plenty of riffs and interesting sounds. I like Higher Power as well, I like all the big audio albums for what they are, pieces of the eras they were created by a band/artist I very much love. The experience of the albums as a whole, starting with Megatop, as sort of like one long stream, as opposed to a group of songs, is big for me, I like each of the albums and can listen to any of them at any time. I like the sampling aspect of big audio as well, they always come up with interesting stuff. I don't really compare them to the other big audio albums because to me each album has its own feel, the bands were always evolving, and I appreciate the differences along with the similarities. F-Punk for me has its place in the big audio catalog and I like it very much.
Yeah what he said.
Bang on
I love it when true Big Audio Dynamite fans come out of the woodwork makes me happy :-)

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

I like F-Punk very much. Yes, the mix has its moments of muddiness, but when given proper play on a proper sound system with high volume the sound is fine. The album has some great songs for me, Singapore rocks, great riff, fabulous. A couple of the songs are, for me, not my favorites but overall I like this one very much, plenty of riffs and interesting sounds. I like Higher Power as well, I like all the big audio albums for what they are, pieces of the eras they were created by a band/artist I very much love. The experience of the albums as a whole, starting with Megatop, as sort of like one long stream, as opposed to a group of songs, is big for me, I like each of the albums and can listen to any of them at any time. I like the sampling aspect of big audio as well, they always come up with interesting stuff. I don't really compare them to the other big audio albums because to me each album has its own feel, the bands were always evolving, and I appreciate the differences along with the similarities. F-Punk for me has its place in the big audio catalog and I like it very much.
I also like Higher Power -- see my amazon.com review for those comments -- and I agree with the general drift of what you're saying, but F-Punk just didn't make much of an impression at the time, one way or the other..the mix is probably a big part of the reason, but I just don't find myself playing it very much. In fact, I probably go back to Higher Power more often!

Actually, this thread has inspired me to pull out F-Punk again, and stick it in the car -- but it still doesn't jump out at me, not like the other albums do. I suppose I'll have to give it one more chance, and see if it's just me... :mrgreen:
Last edited by Chairman Ralph on 12 Jul 2013, 12:35am, edited 1 time in total.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

No, it's probably the recording/mix.

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Yeah, that's probably it -- there's several good songs, as I've already said in this thread, but overall...the production doesn't serve the material, in my estimation.