Royal Festival Hall 23rd July... Now on Sale...

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
Purple Hayes
Unknown Immortal

Re: Royal Festival Hall 23rd July... Now on Sale...

Post by Purple Hayes »

Heston wrote:
Purple Hayes wrote:Great night, good to meet top blokes Olaf and Heston, went a bit pearshaped after though, waited 10-15 minutes in what I thought was the pre-arranged post-gig meet up point for Olaf but couldn't see him and then I couldn't find Heston in the Pub and decided to head home, nevermind still a great day

Was going to take some pictures after so no "Fonzie" pictures unfortunately 101 :mrgreen:

We were in the hole in the wall for an hour after the gig, but never mind. Good to meet you mate. Olaf, you must've been drunk, you admitted you bought Screaming for Vengance by Judas Priest.
Oh Bugger, thought you were in the wine bar-ish place across from the venue..

Olaf is in London 'til tuesday so he'll probably not be online 'til he gets home...

One incident sticks out from last night, I went to the loo to powder my nose and some geezer stuck his foot out towards me I thought he was trying to trip me up and so I gave him the finger, I now think he was just pointing out my blast from the past Monkey boots, he looked very familiar, I've sussed who it was now.....So, Phil Jupitus if you read this I'm sorry :mrgreen:
'People like Coldplay and people voted for the Nazi's, you can't trust people Jeremy':- Super Hans

'Hayes ... is one of the most godforsaken places I have ever struck. The population seems to be entirely made up of clerks who frequent tin-roofed chapels on Sundays and for the rest bolt themselves within doors.' - George Orwell

Purple Hayes
Unknown Immortal

Post by Purple Hayes »

Purple Hayes wrote:
Heston wrote:
Purple Hayes wrote:Great night, good to meet top blokes Olaf and Heston, went a bit pearshaped after though, waited 10-15 minutes in what I thought was the pre-arranged post-gig meet up point for Olaf but couldn't see him and then I couldn't find Heston in the Pub and decided to head home, nevermind still a great day

Was going to take some pictures after so no "Fonzie" pictures unfortunately 101 :mrgreen:

We were in the hole in the wall for an hour after the gig, but never mind. Good to meet you mate. Olaf, you must've been drunk, you admitted you bought Screaming for Vengance by Judas Priest.
Oh Bugger, thought you were in the wine bar-ish place across from the venue..

Olaf is in London 'til tuesday so he'll probably not be online 'til he gets home...

One incident sticks out from last night, I went to the loo to powder my nose and some geezer stuck his foot out towards me I thought he was trying to trip me up and so I gave him the finger, I now think he was just pointing out my blast from the past Monkey boots, he looked very familiar, I've sussed who it was now.....So, Phil Jupitus if you read this I'm sorry :mrgreen:

Must have been a comidians night out, sure I clocked this bloke too ;)

[youtube][/youtube]
'People like Coldplay and people voted for the Nazi's, you can't trust people Jeremy':- Super Hans

'Hayes ... is one of the most godforsaken places I have ever struck. The population seems to be entirely made up of clerks who frequent tin-roofed chapels on Sundays and for the rest bolt themselves within doors.' - George Orwell

bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by bazarboy75 »

So ?

Where is this "holydays" version ?
C'mon guys !!
it's not august yet !!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote: Olaf, you must've been drunk, you admitted you bought Screaming for Vengance by Judas Priest.
:cool:
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

Great thread.

I'm living vicariously through you guys ... er ... blokes.

My time will come 7 August!

Anyone for a Minneapolis meet-up? ;)
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

River
Long Time Jerk

Post by River »

Setlist?

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Now I'm back home, here's a more detailed report on the weekend....

After a lovely day's drinking in Camden/Tufnell Park/Kentish Town (we were drinking just round the corner to Amy's Winehouse at one point, and no, it wasn't me), we quickly made our way to the Southbank. This was made more urgent by PH's post that he was lighting up a bifta in the beer garden. Unfortunately, me and PH found it hard to understand each other's accents, and had to get the Bavarian to act as an interpreter. ;)

On to the gig, we just got into our seats in time for the first song. Looking round, it was a great venue, though weird to be seated. No matter though, as Medicine Show started we were straight on our feet, and most people around us did the same. The band seemed incredibly relaxed, and played much better for it, this was probably the best gig I've seen of the reunion tour so far. Before Everybody Needs a Holiday, Mick instructed everybody to sit down, relax, and put their feet up on the seat in front of them. It was quite a funny moment.

Straight after that the band blasted into a brilliant C'mon Every Beatbox, and most people were back on their feet again, grooving around in front of their seats. At the very end of the set someone tried to get onstage and put a BAD cap on Mick's head, but was unfortunately intercepted by security. Mick seemed to take it in good nature, and at this point proceeded to shake a few hands in the front row. Hilariously, the grabbing hands kind of half pulled him into the crowd, and he was lying prostrate across his effects pedals, until a roadie saved him. He was laughing all the time though, and seemed to be having a blast. In fact, the band in general seemed to have great time, as evidenced by Greg's Facebook post.

Special mention to the new guy on guitar and keys, I was skeptical at first, but he has definitely infused a lot of energy into the band, and was great onstage. He was trading some great stage moves with Mick, and just generally seemed to be having a ball. Great backing vocals too.

I woke up pretty rough the next day, but a full English breakfast and a five mile walk around Hampstead Heath soon blew the cobwebs off. We then pub-crawled our way back to Kings Cross station, which was when the low point of the weekend happened. We were about to leave the pub for the 8 o clock train, when a Finnish couple asked us to join them at their table as they wanted some tips on English customs. We then decided to get the later ten o clock train, and had a whale of a time with this crazy Finnish bloke singing London Calling and SISOSIG, and dancing around the pub. We finally arrived at the station, only to be told that the train was delayed due to a fatality on the line. We ended up sitting on the stationary train for 3 hours(!) until we eventually got going. I finally got home at 6 o'clock this morning, well and truly fucked!

Set list from memory, not in exact order...

Medicine Show
Sightsee MC
A Party
BAD
Beyond the Pale
Rob Peter, Pay Paul
Everybody Needs A Holiday
C'mon Every Beatbox
Just Play Music
All Saints Rd.
Rewind
Bottom Line
E=MC2
Rush
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

mikel
Junco Partner

Post by mikel »

Great report Heston.I´ve smiled when Mick fall off the stage.Great videos in youtube .I expect someone recorded Everybody needs a holiday.Who whistling
along the song?

Heston

Post by Heston »

mikel wrote:Great report Heston.I´ve smiled when Mick fall off the stage.Great videos in youtube .I expect someone recorded Everybody needs a holiday.Who whistling
along the song?
Yeah, 6min 30 secs if you wanna see Mick getting down with the crowd.... :mrgreen:

[youtube][/youtube]
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

boxfresh10
Dirty Punk

Post by boxfresh10 »

Was a great show indeed, just spotted my head on the Rush video down the front! Nice suprise the band playing "Everybody needs a holiday", never seen them do it before and pretty sure it's never been played live before? (Teddy B?), nice to get another tune from Megatop, just need Hollywood Boulevard to resurface at some point :mrgreen:

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Cool video.

Observations:
Mick doesn't notice the hat that Davo placed on the amp from that fan and forget to take it.
Some of the older dudes are totally thinking "Did he just touch Mick's butt?" at the guy with the mohawk towards the end.

bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by bazarboy75 »

Thanks for report captain H. !

Great tracklist
Hope this get record (??)

Still waiting to hear that "everybody" version...

ALF
Dirty Punk

Post by ALF »

bazarboy75 wrote:Thanks for report captain H. !

Great tracklist
Hope this get record (??)

Still waiting to hear that "everybody" version...
Calm down, bboy!!!
Surely they are practising ENAH for the gig in Paris :twitch:
BTW, i'm starting to think on another trip (rock en seine, dublin??), as the sound is getting better and better. I can't stop listening to the last video of Just Play Music.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Man, what a weekend.

Great to meet PH, Heston and his entourage. Top blokes indeed.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Heston

Post by Heston »

Olaf wrote:Man, what a weekend.

Great to meet PH, Heston and his entourage. Top blokes indeed.
Glad you made it back safely mate, hope the rest of your trip was good.