B.A.D. Observations Thread

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: B.A.D. Observations Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

BitterTom wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 7:45am
Wow what an album. My favourite of theirs I might add. Only 2 duff tracks in my opinion (Mr Walker Said & 2000 Shoes.) The rest is solid.
Heston wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 6:30am
BitterTom wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 6:24am
Just about to listen to all of Tighten Up Vol. '88 for the first time. Will get back with a brief review, what are your favourites on there though?
Other 99
Applecart
All Saints Rd

Esquerita

Some great songs on this album, I just don't like the rinky dinky drums and Mick's guitar is mixed too low.
Loved these 3, All Saints especially. Spot on. Others I loved were Champagne and Hip, Neck and Thigh. Stunning album.
''Mr. Walker Said'' is excellent. Just poorly mixed.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 12:50pm
BitterTom wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 7:45am
Wow what an album. My favourite of theirs I might add. Only 2 duff tracks in my opinion (Mr Walker Said & 2000 Shoes.) The rest is solid.
Heston wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 6:30am
BitterTom wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 6:24am
Just about to listen to all of Tighten Up Vol. '88 for the first time. Will get back with a brief review, what are your favourites on there though?
Other 99
Applecart
All Saints Rd

Esquerita

Some great songs on this album, I just don't like the rinky dinky drums and Mick's guitar is mixed too low.
Loved these 3, All Saints especially. Spot on. Others I loved were Champagne and Hip, Neck and Thigh. Stunning album.
''Mr. Walker Said'' is excellent. Just poorly mixed.
I'll give it the benefit then as I was really impressed with this album. Even preferred it to the first 2, it was that good.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Listened to Higher Power yesterday—it's not so bad, though I do miss the ska mix of Harrow Road.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 5:05pm
it's not so bad, though I do miss the ska
this is me commenting on all music (except ska, obviously)
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 5:12pm
Kory wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 5:05pm
it's not so bad, though I do miss the ska
this is me commenting on all music (except ska, obviously)
"Black Sabbath is cool, I guess, but I do miss the ska."

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

There is only one song i dont really listen to on that album and skip most times and thats 2000 shoes. The rest of the album is just brilliant
What is there not to like about Mr Walker ?? thats confusing to me as i love that song.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 6:21pm
There is only one song i dont really listen to on that album and skip most times and thats 2000 shoes. The rest of the album is just brilliant
What is there not to like about Mr Walker ?? thats confusing to me as i love that song.
The production is awful. Sounds like it was recorded underwater.

As an album I think it's their second best, better than Upping St. Surprised it never did that well and doesn't get much kudos.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Heston wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 6:49pm
NoMoreHugh wrote:

As an album I think it's their second best, better than Upping St. Surprised it never did that well and doesn't get much kudos.
Yes i can see what you mean about the production i have however felt that the production on all the BAD albums havent done the songs the justice that they deserve. One of the reasons i think they have not done so well commercially.
Upping st is a great album of course but i never understood the excitement that it generates when in comparison, other tracks are overlooked.
I couldnt tell you which album i like the most as it change all the time depending on my mood and thats also includes the BAD II era as well.

Isnt it crazy that they have one of the most renowned music film directors of the punk era and there is no decent film footage or even recordings of the band playing a live full set.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 5:17pm
Heston wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:

Yes i can see what you mean about the production i have however felt that the production on all the BAD albums havent done the songs the justice that they deserve. One of the reasons i think they have not done so well commercially.
Upping st is a great album of course but i never understood the excitement that it generates when in comparison, other tracks are overlooked.
I couldnt tell you which album i like the most as it change all the time depending on my mood and thats also includes the BAD II era as well.

Isnt it crazy that they have one of the most renowned music film directors of the punk era and there is no decent film footage or even recordings of the band playing a live full set.
Umm difficult playing one finger keyboards and holding a video camera at the same time I guess. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
Heston wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:

I don't mind the production on the first album, could have done with a louder bass but in general it's pretty good.

Upping St has some issues, Hollywood Boulevard as released on the original album is weak as piss. Dial a Hitman has these weird out of time digital clicks that ruin the song for me, not sure what they were thinking.

Tighten is ok but I don't like the drum sounds they used, sounds like a Bontempi drum kit on most of the songs. Mr Walker stands out as being really badly mixed though, so bad I thought there was something wrong with my copy when I first heard it. Mick plays loads of great guitar on the album but you can hardly hear it. A good example is Esquerita, his guitar should be rocking out of the speakers but it is this faint hum.

Megatop is pretty well produced, they had the drum sounds right and stuff, but most of the songs could have a minute shaved off the end.

I'd love to glimpse an alternative universe where Mick was banned from producing with The Clash and BAD. I know he had some successes but I think it is hard to do both jobs, a producer needs some distance from the art.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 5:25pm
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Heston wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:

Umm difficult playing one finger keyboards and holding a video camera at the same time I guess. ;)
Thats a good point well made :mrgreen:

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Heston wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 5:48pm
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Heston wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:

I don't mind the production on the first album, could have done with a louder bass but in general it's pretty good.

Upping St has some issues, Hollywood Boulevard as released on the original album is weak as piss. Dial a Hitman has these weird out of time digital clicks that ruin the song for me, not sure what they were thinking.

Tighten is ok but I don't like the drum sounds they used, sounds like a Bontempi drum kit on most of the songs. Mr Walker stands out as being really badly mixed though, so bad I thought there was something wrong with my copy when I first heard it. Mick plays loads of great guitar on the album but you can hardly hear it. A good example is Esquerita, his guitar should be rocking out of the speakers but it is this faint hum.

Megatop is pretty well produced, they had the drum sounds right and stuff, but most of the songs could have a minute shaved off the end.

I'd love to glimpse an alternative universe where Mick was banned from producing with The Clash and BAD. I know he had some successes but I think it is hard to do both jobs, a producer needs some distance from the art.
I think the first album needed a much better production to match the great songs i have always been dissapointed in the BAD production of all there albums to be honest. Good job they sounded so great live and the songs were so good. Infact they would have done better to just record the albums from live takes.

Leaving the comment about Megatop to one side i couldnt agree more with all that you have said there. Still love the music though

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
Heston wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:

There's a TV performance from (I think) Argentina that's pretty good.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 2:16pm
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Heston wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:

I think it's Brazil and the tv sound mix is awful. Levels are all over the place and Mick's guitar is practically non-existent during the show.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 2:36pm
Kory wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 2:16pm
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Heston wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:

I think it's Brazil and the tv sound mix is awful. Levels are all over the place and Mick's guitar is practically non-existent during the show.
Your standards are too high. With Brazilian TV performances.