B.A.D. Observations Thread

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: B.A.D. Observations Thread

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 3:02pm
Kory wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 2:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 2:53pm
Kory wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 2:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 2:26pm

To my crude eye, it's not awful by any means, but it doesn't strike me as inspired. But, again, depending on how convention is followed, maybe it is. Outsiders can be dopes.
I meant the concept more than the design itself, I just realized I erroneously said "design" in my original comment. That was probably slapped together at the last minute like most newspaper ads.

edit: If I find some free time (fat chance), it might actually be a fun exercise to make this ad look good.
I'd love to sit and have you explain how you do this stuff one day, just basic concepts and whys and hows of all that.
That could be fun and also beneficial to me as well (the only reason I ever do anything)—I often find that having to describe concepts helps me get a better grasp on them or even new insights.
Organize a Zoom session edumacating us dopes!

(I do have some ulterior motives in all this. In my punk seminar, I really wanted to do a class on iconography in punk design, going so far as to buy several coffee tablish books with examples, but I realized I lacked any kind of foundation to run a discussion.)
I'll have a look at the ol' calendar and propose some dates.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 3:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 3:02pm
Kory wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 2:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 2:53pm
Kory wrote:

I meant the concept more than the design itself, I just realized I erroneously said "design" in my original comment. That was probably slapped together at the last minute like most newspaper ads.

edit: If I find some free time (fat chance), it might actually be a fun exercise to make this ad look good.
I'd love to sit and have you explain how you do this stuff one day, just basic concepts and whys and hows of all that.
That could be fun and also beneficial to me as well (the only reason I ever do anything)—I often find that having to describe concepts helps me get a better grasp on them or even new insights.
Organize a Zoom session edumacating us dopes!

(I do have some ulterior motives in all this. In my punk seminar, I really wanted to do a class on iconography in punk design, going so far as to buy several coffee tablish books with examples, but I realized I lacked any kind of foundation to run a discussion.)
I'll have a look at the ol' calendar and propose some dates.
:cool:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

YoungParisians
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by YoungParisians »

Kory wrote:

That was probably slapped together at the last minute like most newspaper ads.
Youre probably on to something here.

This trade journal, FMQB, has alot of ads with the same "look". Actually, the entire magazine has this look so my guess is one designer (in house or just amateur freelance) was designing everything. Other Columbia/CBS ads for B.A.D. from that era look much more pro. But I kinda like this look. Feels spontaneous.
Hello? Go ahead, man. Yeah I'd just like to say, um, lets have some music now, huh? Ok, ok...thank you.

YoungParisians
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by YoungParisians »

A more "normal" ad
Ey1nDj2VcAEj_NP.jpg
From Melody Maker
ExHLzQpUYAA-MHC.jpg
Hello? Go ahead, man. Yeah I'd just like to say, um, lets have some music now, huh? Ok, ok...thank you.

YoungParisians
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by YoungParisians »

B.A.D. getting on some half-year Record Mirror lists in summer 1986.
51232864839_a6537c3a20_o.jpg

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

The weak Harrow Road on the Higher Power LP (not the muscular ska mix which is maybe the best Mick song after the Globe) sounds a lot like the 32nd December by Babyshambles.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
02 Jan 2022, 7:24am
The weak Harrow Road on the Higher Power LP (not the muscular ska mix which is maybe the best Mick song after the Globe) sounds a lot like the 32nd December by Babyshambles.
Just played them back to back and yep I hear that.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

I like the Higher Power version.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

YoungParisians wrote:
08 Jul 2021, 6:54pm
B.A.D. getting on some half-year Record Mirror lists in summer 1986.

51232864839_a6537c3a20_o.jpg
Interesting. I didn't realize the picture they used for the F-Punk cover was almost 10 years old.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

CDS1976
Corner Soul

Post by CDS1976 »

The other day I dusted off The Globe cd and gave it a spin. I think I like it better now than when I first heard it. It's rather artsy with the between song interludes and breaks in the songs. Innocent Child is Mick's finest moment on the album. I can do without the Tea Party track but they felt it was the best way to end it. I just realized I don't think I ever heard Kool Aid. I have to seek that out.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Olaf wrote:
07 Jan 2022, 4:37pm
I like the Higher Power version.
Me too.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

CDS1976 wrote:
17 Jan 2022, 3:45pm
The other day I dusted off The Globe cd and gave it a spin. I think I like it better now than when I first heard it. It's rather artsy with the between song interludes and breaks in the songs. Innocent Child is Mick's finest moment on the album. I can do without the Tea Party track but they felt it was the best way to end it. I just realized I don't think I ever heard Kool Aid. I have to seek that out.
There was a period in the early-mid 90s where I had that cd in my car cd player for about 6 months straight without changing it. I love Innocent Child. The whole cd to this day reminds me of long sunny day summer drives. Pretty sure I still have the empty longbox around somewhere.
It's all ball bearings nowadays. - Irwin M. Fletcher

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Kimmelweck wrote:
17 Jan 2022, 9:21pm
CDS1976 wrote:
There was a period in the early-mid 90s where I had that cd in my car cd player for about 6 months straight without changing it. I love Innocent Child. The whole cd to this day reminds me of long sunny day summer drives. Pretty sure I still have the empty longbox around somewhere.
I have always been a massive advocate for Bad II i was the same, there was a time, that all their albums never left the Vinyl / CD player and played back to back constant. i am still very similar today
I know Bad II are not to well liked against the original line up here but i can hear something new every time and they really are right where its at, and ahead of their time and yes i even love Fpunk

I think they could have been bigger commercially if the drum and bass drove a much more obvious dance beat (this goes for both versions of the band) . Other artists copied their idea and made more of this like Fat boy slim did and he reaped the big rewards.

I for one wouldn't change anything but i do feel it would have been a good thing for the band to have had the success that they deserved.

Also while i am on the subject as great as Don was he never used his talents of a DJ and a film producer to help promote the bands success which i always found very strange.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
18 Jan 2022, 10:02am
Kimmelweck wrote:
17 Jan 2022, 9:21pm
CDS1976 wrote:
I have always been a massive advocate for Bad II i was the same, there was a time, that all their albums never left the Vinyl / CD player and played back to back constant. i am still very similar today
I know Bad II are not to well liked against the original line up here but i can hear something new every time and they really are right where its at, and ahead of their time and yes i even love Fpunk

I think they could have been bigger commercially if the drum and bass drove a much more obvious dance beat (this goes for both versions of the band) . Other artists copied their idea and made more of this like Fat boy slim did and he reaped the big rewards.

I for one wouldn't change anything but i do feel it would have been a good thing for the band to have had the success that they deserved.

Also while i am on the subject as great as Don was he never used his talents of a DJ and a film producer to help promote the bands success which i always found very strange.
I love BAD II, listen to them more often than BAD I, and love Zonka's BAD Soundsystem recordings on his soudcloud....That being said I still think Megatop is my fav BAD I or II but Globe is a close second.

drowninghere
Long Time Jerk

Post by drowninghere »

R-414751-1580093316-4889.jpg
R-414751-1580093316-4889.jpg (143.57 KiB) Viewed 5314 times
R-414751-1580093319-5913.jpg
R-414751-1580093319-5913.jpg (141.04 KiB) Viewed 5314 times

Probably just me but saw this apparently standard vinyl/LP artwork for The Globe for the first time the other day. So much better than the CD, in which the BAD II symbol blocks out all of the black and white images on the front cover and the back cover is just a repeat of the world historical bad colour photo on the front. All things considered, the above could almost be regarded as good.

Re-listening to The Globe, wow, what a masterpiece. Such quality and care to every detail, reminds me of the first album so much in that regard. The revenge of Mick Jones Part II.