B.A.D. Observations Thread

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Re: B.A.D. Observations Thread

Post by NoMoreHugh »

BitterTom wrote:
23 May 2019, 4:18pm
I'm starting to wonder how they didn't get as much success as was warranted. You listen to some of the crap that came out during the same era and compare it to, say Just Play Music, a joyous tune, great beat, ideal for a chart topper but alas not. I'm really surprised 2 months ago, the only BAD song I could name was E=MC2, why they weren't remembered as one of the 80s greats I'll never know. All I can say again is thanks for opening me up to another band's discography I wouldn't have delved into otherwise.
Tom i think they had poor backing and as TeddyB informed me of the political situation between Columbia UK and USA with the Columbia UK focusing on too much of a clash revival. This produced what seemed to me at the time as total cockups made frequently on new releases and this would have messed their chances up for any chance of a chart success.

I envy you to discover all this bad stuff today and wish you much happy listening it was such an amazing time. Unfortunately though you wont get to see them Live which was the vital point of the band and something i feel as a Bad fan is and was an essential element.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Heston wrote:
23 May 2019, 4:25pm
BitterTom wrote:
I'm starting to wonder how they didn't get as much success as was warranted. You listen to some of the crap that came out during the same era and compare it to, say Just Play Music, a joyous tune, great beat, ideal for a chart topper but alas not. I'm really surprised 2 months ago, the only BAD song I could name was E=MC2, why they weren't remembered as one of the 80s greats I'll never know. All I can say again is thanks for opening me up to another band's discography I wouldn't have delved into otherwise.
I'm with you mate. I'm surprised they never capitalised on the success of the first album and e=mc2. I still think they made a mistake releasing Beatbox as the lead off single from Upping St. For me, V13 should have been the single. By the time it was released everyone had the album and it stumbled just outside of the top 40. All the reviews for it at the time were great. They lost traction after that.
The quality was there I just can't compute how it wasn't capitalised on like you said. Even after Upping though, I sound like a broken record now, but Tighten was a fantastic album. Ok so the sound wasn't the best but from a BAD novice, I found this easily the most musically accessible. I just can't understand how it wasn't pushed and pushed with more and more getting into them. It took 1 listen for me to realise, this is a fucking good album, I'm going to go back to all their other material and get stuck in. Not everyone thinks and hears like me I get that but it was just so accessible like I say!

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
23 May 2019, 4:29pm
BitterTom wrote:
Tom i think they had poor backing and as TeddyB informed me of the political situation between Columbia UK and USA with the Columbia UK focusing on too much of a clash revival. This produced what seemed to me at the time as total cockups made frequently on new releases and this would have messed their chances up for any chance of a chart success.

I envy you to discover all this bad stuff today and wish you much happy listening it was such an amazing time. Unfortunately though you wont get to see them Live which was the vital point of the band and something i feel as a Bad fan is and was an essential element.
It's such a shame this is the case, I just see myself as one of the lucky ones to come across the material! Thank you for the information as well!

I can't tell you how much I'm enjoying going through the discography but like you say, not seeing them live is one of those many things I wish could have happened but wish no chance of it!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:
23 May 2019, 4:35pm
NoMoreHugh wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

It's such a shame this is the case, I just see myself as one of the lucky ones to come across the material! Thank you for the information as well!

I can't tell you how much I'm enjoying going through the discography but like you say, not seeing them live is one of those many things I wish could have happened but wish no chance of it!
I never got to see the Clash so I can feel your pain. If only I'd been born 5 years earlier. I still berate my mother for this.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
23 May 2019, 4:14pm
I agree 100% flex with all that you have said.

I just think with so many years later and with changing preferences and trends and not to mention an acceptance of songs that were maybe too ahead of there time when they first came out. I just hoped to see somethign different and indeed just simple boredom of hearing a favourite song too much for so long that there may have been some surprises that would have made the final.

i would have liked to see Bad II in this as well
The other way to look at is that, as much stick as they get for being dated/of their time, BAD managed to make some pretty timeless choices right out of the gate.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Heston wrote:
23 May 2019, 4:37pm
BitterTom wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

I never got to see the Clash so I can feel your pain. If only I'd been born 5 years earlier. I still berate my mother for this.
You were there for CtC though, that's something right?

Heston

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:
23 May 2019, 4:42pm
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

I thought there was something wrong with my copy when I put it on. Nearly took it back to the shop.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Heston wrote:
23 May 2019, 4:48pm
BitterTom wrote:
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:

I thought there was something wrong with my copy when I put it on. Nearly took it back to the shop.
Don't tell me, Are You Red...Y kicked in and thought "I'll give this a go actually."

Heston

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:
23 May 2019, 4:51pm
Heston wrote:
23 May 2019, 4:48pm
BitterTom wrote:
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

Don't tell me, Are You Red...Y kicked in and thought "I'll give this a go actually."
Bang on.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

BAD NME Discography.jpg
I hope this might be useful. Sorry it has appeared at a strange angle.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Maybe easier to view.
Attachments
BAD NME Discography.jpg

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Thanks Marky

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

I'm not sure I've ever heard the Danny Rampling mix of The Globe. I'm not sure I want to.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

All goes to plan, I'll be seeing Don Letts djing a sunny beer garden tomorrow
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »