B.A.D. Observations Thread

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: B.A.D. Observations Thread

Post by Heston »

Rat Patrol wrote:
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:'Charming' is exactly how I'd describe Mick's vocals. Mick's singing just sounds like a place to live, a friendly instrument capable of expressing an amiability that borders on the profound.
I can fully understand why people mightn't like his voice, but personally, I fucking love it. Saying that, it went very ragged at the time of Higher Power and F-Punk, I don't know if drugs/lifestyle were an issue. It does spoil my enjoyment of those albums, though.
His vocal cords were damaged during his severe chicken pox bout in '88 when he was in a coma. The breathing tubes they had to shove down his throat tore up his cords pretty good. He had to re-train his singing voice for Megatop Phoenix, lost an octave of range and a lot of power, he cracks a little when he does belt it (evident on Rush), and his diction's been a little less clear. Kind of gone with the smooth/quieter singing style since to compensate for the more limited range. Certainly post-'88 he was never going to be able to do a vintage live Somebody Got Murdered if he ever wanted to give it a try. Age started taking its toll a little further near the end, and I don't think that ghastly dentistry of his was really helping to counteract. Definitely got a bit mumbly after age 40 and especially with C/Si.

But you can tell he's done some heavy voice training to work up his stamina for the reunion, because his voice sounds the best it's been since The Globe. Really wasn't expecting that, as I thought we'd have to live with a certain amount of inaudibility on the tour based on what was evident in the C/Si performances. But he surprised there and sounds great. Makes me wish he'd been a little more on the ball about maintaining good vocal stamina the previous 15 years, but whatever...wonderful to hear him in good form again.

Still think he could take it to another level if he got some long overdue heavy dental reconstruction on those wrong-angle lime-color chompers of his. The improvement in diction at his age would be more dramatic than the massive improvement Joe's voice underwent after his 1981 corrective surgery got rid of most of the spittle.
I was well aware of the issues with his illness affecting his vocals, what seemed strange was the sudden decline after Megatop, then a bit of a resurgence for Entering A New Ride. You could tell on Megatop he didn't have the old power, but he sounds awful in comparison on Higher Power and F-Punk.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by bazarboy75 »

The guy smoke(d ??) too much

I really liked what you said RP ans about the octave lost, that's one reason i don't want to see him sings some old Clash tunes... Forget it once for all.

Some train in vain 90's footage are really painful to watch

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

The "final" version of Entering a New Ride is the only album Mick has recorded in a professional studio since parts of the Globe. The last album fully recorded in such conditions was Megatop (with Bill Price). That hasn't helped the sound of his recorded vocals. Bill mixed last Post, but it was mainly recorded at the Bunker.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Megatop and Entering are my one-two BAD albums. :cool:

I think Heston did a breakdown of MP earlier with Union, Jack getting a 4/10 or something — it's one of my favourite Mick songs. Great lyrics and generally superb execution of the Sound of the BAD.

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

Heston wrote:
bazarboy75 wrote:Mick Jones shouldn't wear jeans during a concert
I'm with you buddy.

Maybe his usual trousers got covered in mud!
Mick should wear dungarees to protect his jeans from getting splattered with mud.
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

An observation: Mick once wrote to the Daily Mirror problem page in '86.....
scan0005.jpg
scan0005.jpg (571.81 KiB) Viewed 6923 times
I've been sorting my loft out and came across a few funny cuttings I hadn't seen for years.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by bazarboy75 »

Heston wrote:An observation: Mick once wrote to the Daily Mirror problem page in '86.....
scan0005.jpg
I've been sorting my loft out and came across a few funny cuttings I hadn't seen for years.
That's was entertaining

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Heston wrote:An observation: Mick once wrote to the Daily Mirror problem page in '86.....
scan0005.jpg
A man of Mick's pedigree should know that there's no better cure than half a glass of lager and back to bed.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

scan0005.jpg
That's it dump all your old rubbish from your loft on this forum, and who do you suppose will clean it up now?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
scan0005.jpg
That's it dump all your old rubbish from your loft on this forum, and who do you suppose will clean it up now?
Heston might make a sandwich from it.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

scan0005.jpg
Seeing this again made me giggle. I'm glad I bumped this thread.

appleseed
Dirty Punk

Post by appleseed »

US North would be a brilliant candidate for the next BAD album.

Vimmattu
Long Time Jerk

Post by Vimmattu »

Appleseed, I agree with you.
- Pilled up and rrattling -

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

It would be awesome to hear a newly recorded US North, but it will probably be added to No. 10 Upping Street as a bonus song.