B.A.D. Observations Thread

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Re: B.A.D. Observations Thread

Post by MarkyJacobs »

MarkyJacobs wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 6:13am
Me too. It can't have been that often that NIck Hawkins seemed cooler than Mick.
Crikey!. Have I just written a new line to that song?

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Heston wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 7:47pm
They seemed to enjoy it even more when the new guy joined, and they sounded even better.
The probably did sound better but it was no longer original line-up BAD.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

oliver wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 7:42pm
Heston wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 7:19pm
Man, why did that reunion tour blow over so quick?
Not sure I really should be speculating but I wonder if whatever happened with Dan kind of spoiled the mood a bit.
I dont think it spoiled any mood and Isnt that just typical Mick. Always moving on to his next thing. I think when he does something that you like you just have to enjoy and appreciate it while you can.

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

What was his 'next thing'? He's not really done much music since? And let's not forget that this thing was reviving a band from 25 years earlier!

A guitarist with a laptop looks a bit rubbish - especially when most of us knew it was one of the road crew standing in. That's before you even consider whether Dan's absence compromised the authenticity of the project, or how it sounded.

drowninghere
Long Time Jerk

Post by drowninghere »

MarkyJacobs wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 10:11pm
What was his 'next thing'? He's not really done much music since? And let's not forget that this thing was reviving a band from 25 years earlier!

A guitarist with a laptop looks a bit rubbish - especially when most of us knew it was one of the road crew standing in. That's before you even consider whether Dan's absence compromised the authenticity of the project, or how it sounded.
Maybe his next thing was living his life the way he wanted to.
And the 'road crew' guy who was standing in and helping out was in Johnny Boy, and deserves a little respect for that alone.

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

I know exactly who he was and wasn't doubting his capabilities as a musician. He wasn't Dan.

If the "next thing' is living your life the way you want to, isn't that what we are all looking for? I doubt Mick was ever more contentented than when he on stage with BAD.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

I may have messed this up so apologies if so, but here's a list of the "real" songs voted off each album first (I'm discarding Mick's a Hippie Burning)

Sony
Ticket
Funny Names
2000 Shoes
Baby Don't Apologize
The Green Lady

That's a pretty solid set of songs for me. I think there's good thing to be said about all of them (but The Green Lady is a stand-out and would be my favourite)

I guess that means I think each album is consistently good. Quite an achievement considering they were pushing out an album a year and touring.

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

A bit like deciding which of your children you love least?

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

MarkyJacobs wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 1:44am
I know exactly who he was and wasn't doubting his capabilities as a musician. He wasn't Dan.

If the "next thing' is living your life the way you want to, isn't that what we are all looking for? I doubt Mick was ever more contentented than when he on stage with BAD.
I dont know what Micks next thing could be but its a different path from his usual front man to a band. I think hes happier taking a more background role these days. This was first seen in the gorillas tour with a non singing role . He seems to want to do more production work these days from what i am picking up but to be honest i am not interested in that part of his career so not an expert but i think an example would be Kitty Daisy and Lewis

And i totally agree Mick i think was at his happiest ever in BAD I and BAD II

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 8:28am
I dont know what Micks next thing could be
An autobiography please :)

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Post-BAD survival thread, I decided to spin BAD II's output, very underrated.

Kool Aid: this is a gem. Been a long time since I listened to those original versions and they're GREAT. Mick was really digging around the guts of what BAD was all about and thinking on how he could move the sound forward. The payoff is his most musically adventurous work since Tighten Up, Vol. 88.

The Globe: we all know this beast. The album that aligned with MTV and got him the US hits. Still the hit machine record that it always was (I mean that as a compliment).

Ally Pally Paradiso: the mixing is shit but the performances on the second half of the album (starting with Rush) are definitive.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Flex wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 10:00am
Post-BAD survival thread, I decided to spin BAD II's output, very underrated.

Kool Aid: this is a gem. Been a long time since I listened to those original versions and they're GREAT. Mick was really digging around the guts of what BAD was all about and thinking on how he could move the sound forward. The payoff is his most musically adventurous work since Tighten Up, Vol. 88.

The Globe: we all know this beast. The album that aligned with MTV and got him the US hits. Still the hit machine record that it always was (I mean that as a compliment).

Ally Pally Paradiso: the mixing is shit but the performances on the second half of the album (starting with Rush) are definitive.
Well said Flex Bad II are so underated and i have to say i love all the albums right the way through to F Punk. Only thing i cant agree with the Ally Pally Paradiso I think it sounds terrible and i only listened to it as there was nothing else at the time. But what a silly idea to make the sound poor so it resembles a bootleg . All the other ideas to make it look like a cheap bootleg was ok for an idea but to make the sound poor was a stupid idea at best.

I was at the alexandra palace gig as well and loved it, it was brilliant then had all my memories dashed when i had that recording as a reminder.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Is F Punk as bad as the naff cover suggests? I've heard it's considered the worst on the era, will have to find it on YouTube as Deezer doesn't even recognise it.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

BitterTom wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 1:38pm
Is F Punk as bad as the naff cover suggests? I've heard it's considered the worst on the era, will have to find it on YouTube as Deezer doesn't even recognise it.
It sucks, but it's Mick Jones. Give it a listen. I enjoy it.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Silent Majority wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 1:49pm
BitterTom wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 1:38pm
It sucks, but it's Mick Jones. Give it a listen. I enjoy it.
The mix is really muddy, but there are a few good tunes. It's actually, I think, the first BAD album I ever owned so I have a bit of a soft spot for it.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!